General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives / WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011 | 08:12 AM
grzly
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
My wife has been on the back of my bike in a tank top, mini-skirt, thigh highs and 6" heels. Don't remember if she was wearing gloves or not for some reason.
of course i didnt say that i took offence

Old 07-06-2011 | 08:39 AM
cogener8
Road Captain

Helmet,Boots,Tank or sleevless t-shirt unless its cold. You ride your way I'll ride mine. I'll agree on the flip flops or sandles though.But whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:10 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

I prefer jeans and boots atleast. The whole shorts and flipflops rideing just isnt me. I guess to each their own. I do however enjoy the guy whos all geared up and has a babe on the back with little to no gear at all, It just looks odd not protecting your passenger too.

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:12 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

No, you're not off at all & anyone who's been through MSF training, military riders, or gone down can tell you it's always best to protect your body while riding. Of course you'll alter/reduce for hot/steamy times, but don't recall ever seeing shorts, flip flops & wifebeaters as recommended riding gear. "Wear what you wish & accept the risk" is my motto.

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:19 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by m i k e
FYI not allowed to tell anyone insulting until you've reached at least 100
post you canadian fruit loop BWA HAHAHHA
I thought Canada was on strike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMoM4ijiSU

Old 07-06-2011 | 10:29 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
It's always best to protect your body while riding.
I had sunscreen on.......

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:08 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
I just disagree with your debate of "insurance cool-aid"...as we all end up supporting those situations, especially as the USA turns into the USSofA and OBummer-care moves forward more.
My point is, if we were to convince every biker to wear ATGATT and suddenly reduce motorcycle deaths and injuries significantly, Uncle Sam is going to be sending you a check to give you those dimes back. The government will suck X amount of tax dollars out of you, regardless... and then that money will be alloted to different programs. Once Uncle Sam has it, it doesn't matter where it goes - you don't have it and you're not getting it back.

Same with insurance companies. They're not going to lower rates just because they are paying fewer claims.

So... you're not paying anything "extra" for anyone.

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:14 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

I advocate laws requiring riders to never wear any safety gear. I also advocate laws making it illegal to include any safety features such as seat belts, anti-lock brakes, traction control systems, safety glass, etc, on any motor vehicle. To go even further, I think vehicles should be designed to cause maximum injury in the event of a crash. There should be clear labels on the vehicles saying "This vehicle is designed to maim and possibly kill you in the event of even the slightest crash. To avoid permanent dismemberment, disability or death, drive with extreme caution!"

Think about it. People get complacent with safety features. They think they can do everything but drive and the vehicle will take care of them. If we went the opposite way, it would force people to do everything possible to avoid hitting anyone or anything.

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:26 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..
How long have you been on the fasion squad? Who cares what others do? I sure dont need or want you telling me what is appropriate riding gear.

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:28 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I advocate laws requiring riders to never wear any safety gear. I also advocate laws making it illegal to include any safety features such as seat belts, anti-lock brakes, traction control systems, safety glass, etc, on any motor vehicle. To go even further, I think vehicles should be designed to cause maximum injury in the event of a crash. There should be clear labels on the vehicles saying "This vehicle is designed to maim and possibly kill you in the event of even the slightest crash. To avoid permanent dismemberment, disability or death, drive with extreme caution!"

Think about it. People get complacent with safety features. They think they can do everything but drive and the vehicle will take care of them. If we went the opposite way, it would force people to do everything possible to avoid hitting anyone or anything.
Amen brother!

I never recall seeing anyone in a Vega dringing reckless or not paying attention to the road.

Quick Reply: What gives / WTF