General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives / WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 12:10 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

A modest proposal*:
Maybe we should call our Congressmen and pass a law requiring full face helmets, sunglasses, sunscreen, gauntlet gloves, leather jackets and pants, leather footwear that covers the ankle, spine protector, kidney belts and instant inflatable life raft in any state with a coastline.

And then the police can request grants from the Federal government to enforce this law. There can be special ATGATT checkpoints, the police can stop all those criminal flip-floppers, then we can also "no refusal" weekends during Holiday weekends to keep everyone EXTRA safe.

(*this is not a jab at the OP, just a lame attempt to humorously comment on the continued erosion of our civil rights in the name of "security". The bikers will laugh, the motorcyclists will call their Congressmen, and the sheep will do as they are told. )

-Sin

Old 07-05-2011 | 12:37 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..
On Sunday, my old friend Bob rode in shorts... I told him he looked gay. He told me I looked worse riding his girlfriend's borrowed Yamaha 650...

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:11 PM
Cinci-King
Advanced
Exclamation

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..

I wear a full face helmet and protective gear 99% of the time, that's my educated choice.

Some people will spend big bucks on chrome, so they can stand around at a bike night hoping that someone will notice them, but won't spend money on proper safety gear. If you live in a hot climate there is gear designed for the conditions, it may not be cheap, but it's available. I used to live near Fresno, Ca so I know hot weather. Plus an unprotected body loses a lot of water through evaporation from the wind.

As for the comments about the in-effectivity of jeans, they don't provide much slide burn-through protection, but they will help keep debris out of your flesh when you tumble through the shoulder of the road.

I'm fine with people wearing whatever they want, but I'm not fine when it costs me money. When your insurance runs out, if you had any to begin with, guess who pays.

In my opinion... it's your choice to take chances and I'm all for that, but you and I should be held financially responsible for those choices. Otherwise is it really a personal freedom if the tax payers have to pay for your choice.

As for the OP, if you doubt your decision to protect yourself just google motorcycle accident pics and the doubt will be gone. Talk is cheap until you're laying in an ER

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:25 PM
VTK
Road Master

Personally I would choose to not ride my bike in shorts and flip flops. But I friends that go out for a ride looking like they're walking to the pool

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:34 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior

I rode in workout shorts on Sunday for like 10 minutes.....I think a lot of people saw my *****. I like jeans and a t-shirt with my riding boots. If it over 100 degrees, I usually don't ride.

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:01 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cinci-King
I wear a full face helmet and protective gear 99% of the time, that's my educated choice.

Some people will spend big bucks on chrome, so they can stand around at a bike night hoping that someone will notice them, but won't spend money on proper safety gear. If you live in a hot climate there is gear designed for the conditions, it may not be cheap, but it's available. I used to live near Fresno, Ca so I know hot weather. Plus an unprotected body loses a lot of water through evaporation from the wind.

As for the comments about the in-effectivity of jeans, they don't provide much slide burn-through protection, but they will help keep debris out of your flesh when you tumble through the shoulder of the road.

I'm fine with people wearing whatever they want, but I'm not fine when it costs me money. When your insurance runs out, if you had any to begin with, guess who pays.

In my opinion... it's your choice to take chances and I'm all for that, but you and I should be held financially responsible for those choices. Otherwise is it really a personal freedom if the tax payers have to pay for your choice.

As for the OP, if you doubt your decision to protect yourself just google motorcycle accident pics and the doubt will be gone. Talk is cheap until you're laying in an ER
Yeah make sure the goverment saves that money for the welfare state and "undocumented alien" support. There is plenty of waste and abuse before you have to worry about a few bike accidents.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:37 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
Yeah make sure the goverment saves that money for the welfare state and "undocumented alien" support. There is plenty of waste and abuse before you have to worry about a few bike accidents.
FINALLY, someone said it!!!

Old 07-05-2011 | 05:21 PM
scoteh
Club Member

I burned my leg on a hot pipe when I was a pup, and I do not want to ever do that again. Road rash and picking gravel out of road rash didn't hurt near as much as the burn. Boots and jeans for me.

Old 07-05-2011 | 05:39 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Default Out-freaking-standing!

Originally Posted by glydman
...Someday we’ll be using 3 seashells to wipe our butts and being fined for cussing in public...

I love the obscure Sylvester Stallone movie reference!

Oh yeah, on topic: I am less-than-cool and wear a FF (carbon fiber) helmet and a (blue) leather-sleeved Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the summer and a the FXRG leather jacket when it's cold. For all this loose sand and grease on Colorado Springs streets, I feel good boots are a must.

All that said, to each his (or her) own as far as what they like to wear.

TOTAL VALUE ADDED TO THIS CONVERSATION: 0

Old 07-05-2011 | 06:25 PM
MrMax
Cruiser

Originally Posted by editbrain
Hopefully it gets back to the mind your own damn business in the United States. Stop trying to make us Canada. Two things I have learned about being around motorcycle folks.
1) don't talk about another riders bike.
2) don't talk about their old lady.
Neither are anyones business by the man they belong to, and I think I am going to add a third to that list. If I have to look at another man so hard that I critic what he is wearing. Then I need to go to have my head examined because I am not thinking straight. Get it.
Well said here man. I've been sick and tired of this type for a long time now...

Quick Reply: What gives / WTF