General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives / WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:08 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't wear shorts because I don't like bees stinging my junk. Besides that, it looks gay.

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:13 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

They do it for the same reason you will go for short rides wearing a tee shirt instead of your leather coat or mesh armor. They don't plan to have an accident or anticipate going down. you could suffer some pretty painful rash just pulling out of your driveway. Short ride or long ride, it doesn't make any difference, without protection you could suffer painful or even serious injury.

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:14 PM
crazycanuck204
|
Novice

Wow Editbrain...... I was referring to riding in Canada or actually in general. Not referring to a USA vs Canada ideology - sorry about the gold medal win at the Olympics...

Anyway, this thread was started as a simple question. I just want to know what others are wearing and if I might be over thinking the gear. Has nothing to do with pushing my beliefs etc. Plus when it is hot, I do go to a mesh on the highway. This weekend, it was over a 100 up here in the North.

I guess I will just pull up a chair and shut up. But probably not. To each there own.

Back to the original question. Am I off on my riding gear belief?

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:20 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

unless you plan on adopting one of us and giving us lots of spending money, it is none of your business what we wear.

Old 07-05-2011 | 12:07 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Wow Editbrain...... I was referring to riding in Canada or actually in general. Not referring to a USA vs Canada ideology - sorry about the gold medal win at the Olympics...

Anyway, this thread was started as a simple question. I just want to know what others are wearing and if I might be over thinking the gear. Has nothing to do with pushing my beliefs etc. Plus when it is hot, I do go to a mesh on the highway. This weekend, it was over a 100 up here in the North.

I guess I will just pull up a chair and shut up. But probably not. To each there own.

'

Sorry, man. Got outta hand. One of those nights. Ah. My apologies. Just hell, man. Let people live. We are all adults.

This isn't directed toward you personally, but to anyone who wants to judge, but not be judged for their actions and/or beliefs. Some don't want to wear gear.
That is what gives. I don't wanna wear gear all the time. Some times I like to ride without leathers. I am free to do that. Why does it bother others? That is the real question? Do others feel better then them? Judge not. Isn't that the saying?
It just burns me up sometimes. If someone wants to ride in their birthday suit. Why the phuk should I care? If they are obeying the traffic laws. Why would others even think twice about it? Ride your ride, and let others enjoy the ride without being judged.

It is simple math really. There are 86400 seconds in a day. We work 8 hours or more of that time, spend 2 hours commuting, 30 minutes or more using the bathroom, the rest should go to family, eating, and enjoying the day. Not judging what others do with what is left of their 86400 seconds of the day. Unless someone wants buy me full gear to wear, pay for my insurance, and buy me a bike to ride. They need to stop worrying about what I wear when I ride.
It is like I say about co-workers. If they go home, and are still talking about me. Then have problems. I do my work, and then I come home to my family, boat, yard, favorite fishing hole, ride the bike, play with the dog, etc. I don't care about work after work. I don't care about my co-workers when at work. I just wanna do my job, and collect my check. If I do that then everybody else can KMA. I feel the same about bikers. If I have to judge another biker then ****. I have problems I need to address.

Last edited by editbrain; 07-05-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2011 | 12:16 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204

You're crazy.

Old 07-05-2011 | 12:54 AM
chromedome09
Road Master

I have leathers, only time I wear them is when it is getting cold out. Can't stand other than when I am riding in the cold, then I love em. Way to hot in the summer time for em. I have been doing it this way since mid 1980's. Wearing them while walking around at a rally in the heat. not just no, but hell no!! Don't want the extra weight or the heat.
I see others that do. That's their business. Ride like you want to ride, what fits you best. If shorts and flip flops is your thing so be it. If riding in a pink tutu is your thing then so be it.

I don't think your off on your gear if it is what you want to wear.

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:02 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SamStone
I don't wear shorts because I don't like bees stinging my junk. Besides that, it looks gay.
+1 I agree. pants are always required.

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:13 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

I ride in shorts most everyday... around town, during the summer.

Once in a blue moon I go for a ride in flip flops. like just up the corner store.

My wife hates it when I ride in my slippers.

I for one am thankful that I have the liberty to ride in shorts and flip flops when I want.

On the road... well that is a bit different of course 8-10 hours in the saddle and one needs protection from the sun, bugs and that constant wind rushing by. Jeans and a long sleeve tee shirt is the order of the day for me. Chaps when it is cool enough.

I wear a helmet, its the law... So I cheat a bit and use a novelty helmet to protect my bald head from the sun. Even if it wasn't the law I'd still wear something on top to stop the sun from boiling my brain.

Now if you want to ride in full leather all the time... that is fine by me... Come on down to Redding and ride it that stuff... If you need the leathers to ride in you won't be riding much here in the summer.

A short story... heavily redacted... Wife's a nurse... patient a leather wearing rider... summer riding with helmet... suffers hyperthermia (heat stoke)... crashes... broken bones and broken bike...

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:15 AM
canukcowboy
Intermediate

i wore a pair of jeans with a hole in the knee once and a bee went in
there and stung my leg. well when i tried to get him out anyway. closest i
been to wearin shorts on a bike and i wont try it again but a buddy wears shorts n
i guess i never bothered worrying about it. all this time people were thinking of me
as that guy that rolls with the shorts guy.... it really makes u think

Quick Reply: What gives / WTF