General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He died with his boots on for what he believed in

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinci-King

Check your facts, how many racers break their necks due to the helment... None. That argument rates right up there with loud pipes save lives.

I wear a full face. If someone chooses not to, I'm fine with that also. But people need to stop with the lame anti helment claims.
hold it right there cowboy. there is absolutely no room for common sense in this discussion. Anyone who wears a helmet is a lame and anybody with stock pipes is a poser. If you wear a helmet, you hate America. It's as simple as that.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Mr. Contos was fighting for your freedoms riding a 28 year old bike......
The guy died fighting for your freedom of choice. Show some respect. - Have a good July 4th
Utterly laughable.

It will take years to undo the damage this idiot did to the fight against helmet laws in a single ride.

I appreciate ABATE and have been to many of their functions over the years. This was a stupid idea that bit them in the ***.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodog
A lot of riders carry a concealed weapon because they feel it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. They buy insurance for their cars, bikes, homes and their lives "just in case". They head out in their boat after making sure everyone has a floatation device on. Will wear a safety harness if working up high and a hard hat at the construction site. Won't crawl under a car unless jack stands are in place. We all do lots of things every day in the name of safety to insure we're not injured, some required by law and others just out of common sense. And then some will jump on a bike and, with no regard for the most important bone in the body will ride without protecting it. Don't really care what others do but I personally want the odds stacked in my favor.
To this I have to add who would but one bullet in a Colt 45, spin the cylinder, the put the muzzle against their temple and pull the trigger?

So the odds are better for going without a helmet but the end result is still the same.

Same people that must wear leather to protect themselves from Road Rash don't want to protect themselves from Head Mash.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He made his choice. Frankly I don't care if someone wears a helmet or not, providing they assume complete liability for their decision if things go bad. That means that if they scrambles their gray matter, then We the people" don't assume any financial burden for that poor decision. Fair enough?

RIP dude, but you should have paid attention in class when they were teaching statistics...

-Dusty

Old 07-04-2011, 02:56 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 In before the lock.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

What a Dumbass, RIP.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R.I.P Forget these asswipes with their sarcastic comments.......

Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 PM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar141
You can not build a case for or against helmets based on one accident, every accident scenario is different, I've been on the scene of many over the last 25 years, seen some where the helmet made absolutely no difference at all, they don't protect your neck, and can't prevent spinal injury. I've seen a small handful of accidents where the helmet may have made a minor difference in preventing road rash to the head and nothing more. I've seen riders in full DOT rated lids suffer coup-contra coup every bit as bad as riders in novelty helmets.
Every day I read posts from all you safety nuts on here extolling the virtues of wearing nothing but DOT rated head gear, yet I seriously doubt any of you even know what those requirements are to obtain a DOT rating for a helmet, or who wrote them, or how old and out dated those standards are, yet you keep beating your drums on this forum like a born again christian trying to convert the masses to your way of thinking........
I am not trying to convert anyone here, I was giving my opinion which is, I believe you should have the freedom to choose for yourself, Go shirtless, wear shorts and flip flops too, doesn't matter to me.But my opion of people that don't wear them is just like not putting on a seat belt, you are not using common sense in my opinion, but as far as I concerned, you have the right to be stupid. far be it from me to take away anybody's right to be stupid.

BTW, I have not seen one stats on a spinal injury caused by a helmet unless there was excessive speed involved. Have any you would like to share?

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 07-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am either way on the helmet vs. no helmet law. I do however feel just as much for other causes of death that leaves family and friends behind. To everyone who has to knock another human being for dying, here are some more for the azz-hat community in here to dog on! Lets face it we all die, and most of us contribute to the reason we die. For some of us it is mistakes, for others you just live too long.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 616,067
Cancer: 562,875
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
Diabetes: 71,382
Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
Septicemia: 34,828

Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,796 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer65

Unfortunately, he lived in the 3rd least free state in America What??
He was probably refering to this article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oms-study.html

Quick Reply: He died with his boots on for what he believed in