General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He died with his boots on for what he believed in

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The story is ironic, come on protesting a helmet law then dying of a head injury when not wearing a helmet, come on! Hopeful he didn't leave a family in a bad way.
As I’m still laying in bed recuperating from my motorcycle accident 6 weeks ago (someone pulled out in front of me) Im lucky I had a helmet on. I will always wear a helmet but I do believe in choice but my choice is to always wear one. When I was rolling and sliding down the road for about 75 feet my head and pretty face was untouched but I can’t say that for the half helmet I had on. I spent 20 days in the hospital and I think I was lucky and glad I had the helmet on.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

A lot of riders carry a concealed weapon because they feel it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. They buy insurance for their cars, bikes, homes and their lives "just in case". They head out in their boat after making sure everyone has a floatation device on. Will wear a safety harness if working up high and a hard hat at the construction site. Won't crawl under a car unless jack stands are in place. We all do lots of things every day in the name of safety to insure we're not injured, some required by law and others just out of common sense. And then some will jump on a bike and, with no regard for the most important bone in the body will ride without protecting it. Don't really care what others do but I personally want the odds stacked in my favor.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Mr. Contos was fighting for your freedoms riding a 28 year old bike. There was another thread about this and all the safety douches came out and had to tell us how stupid the guy was blah blah blah. Things sure have changed. I guess that's what happened after Harley went mainstream. You people are the very ones we were trying to get away from back in the day. The same people who looked down their noses at us. So you can call yourself bikers, puff up your chest and play dress up bad *** but It's obvious you aren't. It's almost like you are scared of riding a bike. I guess the good thing is soon you will move on to the next cool fad to come along. Then you can tell the people in that crowd how to live their lives.
Some of us have been riding for a long time. We don't do it to be cool or to be able to say how much we spent in mods. We actually like riding, chasing the wind and the real lifestyle not the Disney version so many have bought their way into.
The guy died fighting for your freedom of choice. Show some respect. - Have a good July 4th
Well said.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
In States requiring seat belts, I do not feel they are taking away my rights, but watching out for my safety. Same goes with helmets.

In case you don't understand why I'm laughing, there is no such thing as government-provided safety without giving up freedom. freedom and Safety are 2 ends of a sliding scale. Unfortunately, too many people in the minivan/suburban world, and a few on this forum, like to slide that scale toward safety and away from freedom as fast as they can.

As for the guy who dies - he knew wrecking a motrcycle could kill you and he chose to take that risk. Unfortunately, he lived in the 3rd least free state in America, so he had to break the law to make his choice about something that should have been his own business.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Wow..that's an odd one, what is their reasoning? Bike pre-2004 have less emissions or something? Air quality thing?

Yeah as i recall its an emission thing, i assume they think the newer bikes are cleaner, wether they are or not i dont know, anyway the french bikers are not happy bunnies, and if its anything like the last time when the goverment tried to stop them riding down between lines of traffic, they will kick off big time, and continually be demontrating and blocking up the early morning traffic.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:27 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread number 406 on this subject... LOL. Here come da lock.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
A lot of riders carry a concealed weapon because they feel it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. They buy insurance for their cars, bikes, homes and their lives "just in case". They head out in their boat after making sure everyone has a floatation device on. Will wear a safety harness if working up high and a hard hat at the construction site. Won't crawl under a car unless jack stands are in place. We all do lots of things every day in the name of safety to insure we're not injured, some required by law and others just out of common sense. And then some will jump on a bike and, with no regard for the most important bone in the body will ride without protecting it. Don't really care what others do but I personally want the odds stacked in my favor.

Unfortunately, he lived in the 3rd least free state in America What??

Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
RIP...

Upstate NY motorcyclist dies after hitting head on pavement during protest against helmet laws

ONONDAGA, N.Y. — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike’s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

By Associated Press, Published: July 3

"Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."

This is a good example of why I stopped reading papers and watching the news. Am I to believe this doctor has a part time weekend job as a state trooper? How else would this cop be qualified to make a diagnosis like this? The fact is this "trooper" has no ****ing clue if he would or would not have survived if he was wearing a helmet.

Journalism at its best.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen some pretty wicked wrecks in motogp. It seems the protective gear works beyond 5mph.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
AEaton10
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the nanny staters here do not understand "Freedom" or "Liberty" and it is truly sad. We should have the right to endanger ourselves however we see fit. The only lines that should be drawn by the government is where our choice endangers others. This is where the seat belt argument falls apart. There is nothing on a bike that prevents you from becoming a projectile and endangering someone else (like a seatbelt), and no helmet will prevent injury to someone else should you strike them after you are converted to a projectile.

Where liberty gets ****ed is the government provided safety net (which should not be there to begin with, liberty is supposed to be hard). Because the government is in the healthcare business now, or soon will be... they will be putting their noses into more and more of our business since they are providing a safety net for you when your decisions lead to you ****ing yourself up.

True freedom and true liberty can only be had when there are no government provided safety nets. Cause - Effect. Decisions have consequences. You either pick yourself up with the help of your loved ones and charity... or you don't. It should be of no consequence to anyone else outside your circle. Oh and the taxes would be a lot lower too.

Quick Reply: He died with his boots on for what he believed in