General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He died with his boots on for what he believed in

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
I work on the rescue ambulance, seen it all. You have a better chance of being a vegetable by not wearing a helmet. Lack of head protection does not guarantee death.

I was on a motorcycle accident scene last week that the guy would have been able to get on his bike and ride away if he was hearing a helmet. But because he didn't. he was transported to the hospital with both a head injury and road rash on his bald head.

People can justify it all they like, and I believe they should get to choose, but saying you are better off without one does not fly.

You can not build a case for or against helmets based on one accident, every accident scenario is different, I've been on the scene of many over the last 25 years, seen some where the helmet made absolutely no difference at all, they don't protect your neck, and can't prevent spinal injury. I've seen a small handful of accidents where the helmet may have made a minor difference in preventing road rash to the head and nothing more. I've seen riders in full DOT rated lids suffer coup-contra coup every bit as bad as riders in novelty helmets.
Every day I read posts from all you safety nuts on here extolling the virtues of wearing nothing but DOT rated head gear, yet I seriously doubt any of you even know what those requirements are to obtain a DOT rating for a helmet, or who wrote them, or how old and out dated those standards are, yet you keep beating your drums on this forum like a born again christian trying to convert the masses to your way of thinking........

Last edited by SurfGuitar141; 07-04-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
Furthermore, the Churchill Centre, on its Falsely Attributed Quotations page, states "there is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this." Paul Addison of Edinburgh University is quoted as stating: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Mr. Contos was fighting for your freedoms riding a 28 year old bike. There was another thread about this and all the safety douches came out and had to tell us how stupid the guy was blah blah blah. Things sure have changed. I guess that's what happened after Harley went mainstream. You people are the very ones we were trying to get away from back in the day. The same people who looked down their noses at us. So you can call yourself bikers, puff up your chest and play dress up bad *** but It's obvious you aren't. It's almost like you are scared of riding a bike. I guess the good thing is soon you will move on to the next cool fad to come along. Then you can tell the people in that crowd how to live their lives.
Some of us have been riding for a long time. We don't do it to be cool or to be able to say how much we spent in mods. We actually like riding, chasing the wind and the real lifestyle not the Disney version so many have bought their way into.
The guy died fighting for your freedom of choice. Show some respect. - Have a good July 4th

Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

This would be way more funny if he just got a bump on the head that caused amnesia. What ever the case he has gained a notoriety in death he never had in life, he is already the subject of ridicule on the news and talk shows. Let's hope the rest of us get to lead more productive lives.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
First off,I believe in a persons right to choose. To me, common sense should tell you the benefits of wearing one and it like debating the importance of wearing a seat belt. In States requiring seat belts, I do not feel they are taking away my rights, but watching out for my safety. Same goes with helmets. BTW, I live in a State that does not require seat belts or a helmet, but use both. Unfortunately this guy did more harm then good for his cause and his death might have been avoided by using common sense rather then fighting against common sense safety issues. But this is America, he should have the right to choose.
Well said!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Mr. Contos was fighting for your freedoms riding a 28 year old bike. There was another thread about this and all the safety douches came out and had to tell us how stupid the guy was blah blah blah. Things sure have changed. I guess that's what happened after Harley went mainstream. You people are the very ones we were trying to get away from back in the day. The same people who looked down their noses at us. So you can call yourself bikers, puff up your chest and play dress up bad *** but It's obvious you aren't. It's almost like you are scared of riding a bike. I guess the good thing is soon you will move on to the next cool fad to come along. Then you can tell the people in that crowd how to live their lives.
Some of us have been riding for a long time. We don't do it to be cool or to be able to say how much we spent in mods. We actually like riding, chasing the wind and the real lifestyle not the Disney version so many have bought their way into.
The guy died fighting for your freedom of choice. Show some respect. - Have a good July 4th
Are you serious? Wearing a good dot helmet and saving your head from contacting an object that will surely break it open, and spill your brains out, should be something high on your list of things to do. Freedom fo choice shouldn't be confused with common sense, but it seems most of the anti helmet crowd would rather look cool instead of live to tell about . I have seen the aftermath of a friends non dot helmet head contact accident, and I am sure my friend and the guy who died at the protest would have very different thoughts if they both were able to see the final outcome.,,

Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member

--------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

First thing, diving a car or riding a bike has nothing to do with freedom. In every state you are required to have a drivers licence to operated a vehicle of any kind it is a privilege, not a right guaranteed by the constitution. If that wasn't the case you would be able to drive any type of vehicle on the roads, and you can't. Where I live there's been a helmet law since 1966, mainly because it saves lives, not all the time but your odds go up wearing one. And every time there's a anti -helmet protest, it never fails someone goes down and suffers a head injury of some type, not always fatal but enough for the powers that be can say "see a helmet would have prevented that". And they are right. Police wear protective gear, firemen wear protective gear, soldiers wear protective gear, construction workers wear protective gear. There's a reason for it, just like your odds of surviving a motorcycle crash go up when your wearing something more then a Harley Davidson approved and licensed doo rag. I wonder how MR. Contos family looks at his anti helmet stance, now they have a funeral to arrange?.,,

Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member

-------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: He died with his boots on for what he believed in