General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He died with his boots on for what he believed in

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Helmet law(s) aside - tragic story...unfortunately the media will get this win.

Prayers for him & his family...ride on!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a DOT good for? 5 MPH impact? I'd rather be dead than a freaking vegetable, living off of others' money!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
What's a DOT good for? 5 MPH impact? I'd rather be dead than a freaking vegetable, living off of others' money!
I work on the rescue ambulance, seen it all. You have a better chance of being a vegetable by not wearing a helmet. Lack of head protection does not guarantee death.

I was on a motorcycle accident scene last week that the guy would have been able to get on his bike and ride away if he was hearing a helmet. But because he didn't. he was transported to the hospital with both a head injury and road rash on his bald head.

People can justify it all they like, and I believe they should get to choose, but saying you are better off without one does not fly.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 AM
geneinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
First off,I believe in a persons right to choose. To me, common sense should tell you the benefits of wearing one and it like debating the importance of wearing a seat belt. In States requiring seat belts, I do not feel they are taking away my rights, but watching out for my safety. Same goes with helmets. BTW, I live in a State that does not require seat belts or a helmet, but use both. Unfortunately this guy did more harm then good for his cause and his death might have been avoided by using common sense rather then fighting against common sense safety issues. But this is America, he should have the right to choose.
I agree. If it's legal. I think it's stupid but I support his rights.

NOW, I hate it for the guys family. I would put their feelings and well being before any mundane protest.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy's only mistake was hammering the rear brake
in a panic situation. I see this all to often, especially
in group riding. To many don't practice good braking
habits.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Cinci-King
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
coulda broke his neck with his helmet on and .....

Check your facts, how many racers break their necks due to the helment... None. That argument rates right up there with loud pipes save lives.

I wear a full face. If someone chooses not to, I'm fine with that also. But people need to stop with the lame anti helment claims.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Latest bright idea the French goverment has got is to force all bikers to wear day-glo jackets, which if they suceed will probably mean our dumb goverment in the U.K will follow suit, oh and also in France they want to make it illegal for any bike made before 2004 to be ridden in city centres.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
oh and also in France they want to make it illegal for any bike made before 2004 to be ridden in city centres.
Wow..that's an odd one, what is their reasoning? Bike pre-2004 have less emissions or something? Air quality thing?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 AM
jbg56
Cruiser

"HE DIED WITH HIS BOOTS ON FOR WHAT HE BELEIVED IN"

Sounds really dramatic, like he died defending his family, his country or rushed into a burning building to save a child. He wasted his life, maybe left a family, wife, children, grandchildren without his support, love and guidance, all to make a political statement to a state government that could care less about an individual's opinion, his, mine or yours.

He threw his life away for nothing.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 AM
magnamover
Novice

If he had ABS he would still be alive. Its required on cars, why not bikes? I feel better knowing I have it and it has helped me.

Quick Reply: He died with his boots on for what he believed in