General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He died with his boots on for what he believed in

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 AM
doyle2325
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is an approved DOT helmet... and you "SHEEP" are relying on the government mandate what helmets you wear...

Motorcycle helmets shall meet the model specifications established by the United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Safety Administration. These specifications, located at and identified as "Motorcycle Helmets", 49 C.F.R. § 571.218, published April 15, 1988 in the Federal Register (53 FR 12529), effective October 3, 1988, are adopted in these rules by reference.

Over the past 10 or so years the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, (NHTSA), has annually selected about 40 - 50 helmet models at random off store shelves and had them independently tested for compliance. http://ww.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/testing...218/index.html
On average about 40% of all helmets tested FAIL. If 40% tested fail then it stands to reason that 40% not tested would fail also. That’s thousands of noncompliant helmets on store shelves, motorcyclists heads, and no way of distinguishing them from compliant ones. Further, of those failing NHTSA testing only a notice for recall and an order for fixing the defects is sent to the manufacturer. I have been able to find most of the 2007 list of "fail" helmets still for sale on the internet with no notice of recall mentioned. I even purchased one in September of 08 that failed the "impact attenuation" portion of the testing. It is illogical to assume that anyone would be able to identify a helmet that absolutely meets compliance with FMVSS-218. By "Thorsblood"

If you think this is about safety think again it is about the almighty $$$ have you looked into the campaign contributions that come from the insurance industry. They would like nothing better then to seen motorcycle registrations drop or better yet BAN bikes altogether. Ok "SHEEP" follow on and we will be wearing that non-compliant DOT helmet in the shower.

MY HEAD MY CHOICE

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

Originally Posted by doyle2325
What is an approved DOT helmet... and you "SHEEP" are relying on the government mandate what helmets you wear...

Motorcycle helmets shall meet the model specifications established by the United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Safety Administration. These specifications, located at and identified as "Motorcycle Helmets", 49 C.F.R. § 571.218, published April 15, 1988 in the Federal Register (53 FR 12529), effective October 3, 1988, are adopted in these rules by reference.

Over the past 10 or so years the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, (NHTSA), has annually selected about 40 - 50 helmet models at random off store shelves and had them independently tested for compliance. http://ww.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/testing...218/index.html
On average about 40% of all helmets tested FAIL. If 40% tested fail then it stands to reason that 40% not tested would fail also. That’s thousands of noncompliant helmets on store shelves, motorcyclists heads, and no way of distinguishing them from compliant ones. Further, of those failing NHTSA testing only a notice for recall and an order for fixing the defects is sent to the manufacturer. I have been able to find most of the 2007 list of "fail" helmets still for sale on the internet with no notice of recall mentioned. I even purchased one in September of 08 that failed the "impact attenuation" portion of the testing. It is illogical to assume that anyone would be able to identify a helmet that absolutely meets compliance with FMVSS-218. By "Thorsblood"

If you think this is about safety think again it is about the almighty $$$ have you looked into the campaign contributions that come from the insurance industry. They would like nothing better then to seen motorcycle registrations drop or better yet BAN bikes altogether. Ok "SHEEP" follow on and we will be wearing that non-compliant DOT helmet in the shower.

MY HEAD MY CHOICE
So are you saying wearing no helmet is better or safer?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
doyle2325
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
So are you saying wearing no helmet is better or safer?
I was just trying to point out that if your going to wear a helmet (your choice) spend some valuable internet time and research helmets that pass the so called requirements.

And your a SHEEP if you believe that government/state is looking out for you safety.

READ MY LIPS MY HEAD MY CHOICE... is what I'm saying.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doyle2325
Very good point. As I previously stated I wear a helmet all the time, but I'm very much against helmet laws.

One thing we do need is adequate statistics and testing so the helmet buying public has a more informed decision buying process. The whole Snell vs. Dot vs. European debate is very interesting and begs for more info. Charts are nice, but how does that translate into the real world?

Most of the helmet statistics I see from accident studies simply have a check box for "Wearing Helmet" Y/N. It is obvious to me that wearing a full face Snell helmet would give one a different level of protection than a non Dot approved novelty beanie that some wear simply for compliance. But how much better, and in what percentage of accidents? Do full face helmets really cause neck injuries? Are half helmets almost as good as full face, or are people fooling themselves?

If half helmets give adequate protection in 80% of accidents, I'd probably wear one. If the only real protection is from full face Snell helmets, but it gave the rider a 50% chance of having a spinal injury, I might opt to go bare headed. As it is, I wear a 3/4 helmet, but I really don't know why, it just seems like a good compromise.

What I want is information so I can make an INFORMED choice, then let others do the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM
doyle2325
Cruiser

I agree with Bluffalo there is little information on helmets and the problem with statistics from data collection is that it can be used to promote the subjective. I'm and engineer I know...

Even the media statements "he was/was not wearing a helmet" has no relevance, same as someone stating that "If it weren't for my helmet I wouldn't be alive" my opinion it just wasn't your time.

(Bob, you want to start a side business) maybe we could hire some of the SHEEP as crash test dummies.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

??? What? No he didn't...I doubt that when he put his boot on that morning he thought that day would be his last. He didn't charge up Pork Chop hill with the Marines to secure it. He didn't step in the line of fire between an innocent citizen and a bank robber. He didn't run into a burning building to save 2 kids trapped in their bedroom huddled in the corner. He fell off his motorcycle and hit his knowingly unprotected head on the street. If you guys think that is some kind of heroic act...well it isn't. The guy is NOT a hero...he is a statistic. If he has kids that rely upon his support..and doesn't carry enough insurance to support them then we are the heroes for supporting his kids until they are 21...not him.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
doyle2325
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI

??? What? No he didn't...I doubt that when he put his boot on that morning he thought that day would be his last. He didn't charge up Pork Chop hill with the Marines to secure it. He didn't step in the line of fire between an innocent citizen and a bank robber. He didn't run into a burning building to save 2 kids trapped in their bedroom huddled in the corner. He fell off his motorcycle and hit his knowingly unprotected head on the street. If you guys think that is some kind of heroic act...well it isn't. The guy is NOT a hero...he is a statistic. If he has kids that rely upon his support..and doesn't carry enough insurance to support them then we are the heroes for supporting his kids until they are 21...not him.
Here I think your wrong... unless he wore tennis shoes he did die with his boots on and did so in an event that he supported and fully knew what the consequences would be. No hero, yes a statistic, and fighting for what he believed in "freedom" and for your information Philip A. Contos served in the US Army.

And if you would like to thank his family for his service here is a link to the guest book:
http://obits.syracuse.com/obituaries...2203&fhid=9066

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i guarantee if god told him that morning put a helmet on or today will be your last day on earth, he would've skipped the rally and worn a helmet that day.

i wear a helmet but pop it off at times when in a state where i can take it off. it feels much better. most of the time i'm an ATGATT guy, a couple close calls and i figure i'm tempting fate, eventually the bike is going to hit the ground and i don't want to be wearing a t-shirt and potato chip on my head when it does happen.

but i don't think the government should enforce seat belt laws or helmet laws, not their business.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
jbg56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
Are you being sarcastic? or did you really not notice that every thread on this subject starts out with the pro-helmet guys talking about how smart they are for wearing helmets and how stupid the non-helmet guys are? Are you new to the forum?

I have noticed a certain insecurity with the ATGATT crowd, where they seem to think people are making fun of them for wearing all that stuff. Maybe that's why you overlook who starts the debate every time.
Actually, it is the guys who are anti-helmet who seem to think they are the only true freedom loving Americans who would rather have their brains spread across the asphalt while making a useless political statement that are talking about how smart they are and how stupid those who wear helmets are. At least that is how it seems from someone who lives in a state that denies it's residents any personal freedoms at all.

I work in a long term care center and deal with several residents on a daily basis who suffer from a variety of disabilites due to not wearing a helmet, ranging from short term memory loss and partial paralysis to one guy who is a vegetable who slid head first into a dumpster after putting his bike down at about 20mph. And I will say again, I don't care if anyone wears a helmet or not, it should be your choice. But getting up close and personal with someone whose life is ruined because they chose to not wear a helmet makes me want to wear one when I ride. Worried about personal freedom? Imagine the rest of your life being fed by a g-tube, having someone else tend to changing your diaper, bathe you and dress you. If wearing a helmet helps mitigate that chance, I am willing to trade that little loss of "freedom" against the total loss of freedom I have seen. If that means, as some seem to imply, that I am not a real live, freedom loving red blooded American, well, let's just disagree and end this on as friendly a basis as possible.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Darwin award? RIP bro!

Quick Reply: He died with his boots on for what he believed in