Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

firey gastruck and HD crash in Felton CA.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default firey gastruck and HD crash in Felton CA.

Two Killed In Fatal Felton Motorcycle Crash

POSTED: 11:50 am PST November 4, 2006

FELTON -- A 49-year-old man and 46-year-old-woman, both from Santa Cruz, were killed instantly Friday night when the 2006 Harley Davidson motorcycle they were riding slid beneath a gas tanker, the California Highway Patrol reported today.

The accident occurred at Mount Hermon and Graham Hill roads in Felton around 11:30 p.m. Friday.

According to the CHP, the motorcyclists needed to veer right to remain in their lane, but their excessive speed prevented them from successfully making the turn. The motorcyclists turned too far to the right and fell onto their right side, sliding from the eastbound lane across solid double lines and ending up beneath the tanker in the westbound lane.

The CHP reported the victims were killed instantly as they landed directly beneath the truck's rear set of double axles.

According to the CHP, the victims' bodies remained on the roadway as the tractor-trailer, which was driving approximately 20 to 25 mph, continued westbound with the motorcycle stuck in the truck's rear axle and wheel.

The motorcycle then burst into flames, the CHP reported.

Once the truck came to a stop, the driver exited the vehicle unharmed and extinguished the blaze with a fire extinguisher, the CHP reported.

Mount Hermon Road was closed for five hours following the crash while officers completed their investigation.

According to the CHP, no charges have been issued against the 36-year-old San Jose man who was driving the gas tanker.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default more info on that crash.

from
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/15932213.htm

Two killed in fiery motorcycle crash are identified
By Leslie Griffy and James Hohmann
Mercury News

The two people who died in a fiery motorcycle crash on a road in Felton late Friday were identified today as a Capitola woman and a Santa Cruz man.

The coroner's office identified the pair as 46-year-old Joan Vaughan and 49-year-old Jerry Randel.

The pair died on Mount Hermon Road when one of them lost control of the new Harley Davidson motorcycle they were riding as they sped up to a curve. The bike slid under a gas tanker truck with a loaded fuel tank sparking a fire, the California Highway Patrol said Saturday.

Officers are unsure of exactly how fast the motorcycle was going as the pair went past Graham Hill Road about 11:30 p.m., heading east on Mount Hermon.

They also aren't sure whether Randel or Vaughan was driving the bike. But the CHP said the Harley was going ``at a speed too great to negotiate the turn.'

The motorcycle slammed onto its side, slid across the solid double yellow lines directly into the rear set of double axles on the gas truck's trailer, authorities said.

Vaughan and Randel died on the road. The 2006 motorcycle was dragged by a truck until it burst into flames.

The truck's driver jumped out and put the fire out with an extinguisher.

The 36-year-old San Jose man driving the truck was going between 20 to 25 miles per hour in a 2006 Peterbilt Tractor pulling a fully-loaded fuel tank. He was uninjured and has not been charged.

Mount Hermon Road was closed for nearly five hours as CHP conducted its investigation.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: more info on that crash.

Sounds like an inexpereinced rider riding about their skill level, that time of night- alcohol involved???? Bad news but remember folks we are extremely susceptible on only 2 wheels and it IS always ok to slow down when unsure of a situation.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 1200babe

Sounds like an inexpereinced rider riding about their skill level, that time of night- alcohol involved???? Bad news but remember folks we are extremely susceptible on only 2 wheels and it IS always ok to slow down when unsure of a situation.

Good solid advice!!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very sad.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad...

I notice that both articles make a point that the driver of the tanker was not charged. He was an innocent bystander, in this crash, as i see it.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes sad, excess speed can kill

Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Bull Shoals
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad..
De Ja Vue!!!
Felton, Ben Lomand, Boulder Creek.. Hwy 9, Summit Rd., Skyline Rd., Cloud 9, Hwy 17, Scotts Valley, Santa's Village... Born and raised in that area and lived there thru my Hippy days, 30 years ago .. Great riding!!! but deadly!! if not careful and thats 30 years ago.. I can only imagin how it must be now?
Supper Flash Backs! I've eaten it more than once on those roads. I could tell stories for days!! (It was the 70's and I was probably stoned )

None the less, our prayers go out!

God Bless

Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
billk
Road Master
Default RE: firey gastruck and HD crash in Felton CA.

Speed kills, and I feel for their families. Another tragic story of how motorcycles (not their drivers???) are dangerous. Whether in a cage or on the bike, we have all 'sped up' to overtake, and negotiate our intentions. Sometimes, it doesn't work out. I'm not casting any dispersions, but feel that some bad judgement was involved. My condolences.