General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take to completely destroy a Harley Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does it take to completely destroy a Harley Engine?

What does it take to completely destroy a Harley Engine?
I was at the Lone Star Rally last weekend, Man…….what a great time! Had a blast on Saturday night. We decided to “ride the Strand”.
Sure, I paid our ten bucks and decided what the heck? We’ll ride the Fatty through the parade of bikes. It took about 30 minutes to get through the crowd. It was fun, the entire scenario was ……roll forward ten feet, stop and wait, roll forward ten feet stop and wait……repeat the same for about an 1/8 of a mile. Don’t get me wrong…..I’m not bitcin.
But what I don’t understand is the guy in front of me? He was revving the hell out of his 88 the entire time. I’ve never seen an engine put up with so much abuse, Dude was constantly hitting the rev limiter with no load on the engine. He obviously had no baffles and was stuck in traffic for at least a half hour. I’m sitting behind him watching sparks and flame from the exhaust. I thought the motor was gonna blow at any minute? Am I right in thinking this is one of the worst things someone could do to an air cooled engine? I couldn’t believe the engine held together?
So my question remains…………How much abuse will a Twin Cam 88 Take?

BTW….His scoot was Fatboy…how much can the balancers take?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What does it take to completely destroy a Harley Engine?

Dude, we were on the strand almost all day and I don't get it. There were plenty more than just that one Phuktard that was doin the same thing. It got really old after awhile I was just waiting for one of them to let go of the clutch and send the bike into the crowd or topple over about a dozen bikes??

Old 11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley motors are tuff, seen many acts of dumbness, no blown motors, watched a test on tv of harley when developing the v-rod motor, 400 contiuious hours at redline, 9 grand! It did it, no problem.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A v-rod is different than a TC 88, I'll do the test if anyone wants to donate a motor

Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Harley motors are tuff, seen many acts of dumbness, no blown motors, watched a test on tv of harley when developing the v-rod motor, 400 contiuious hours at redline, 9 grand! It did it, no problem.

That's impressive! Reminds me of reading about John Browning testing his first M1 machinegun for the US military. Don't remember the specifics offhand but they ran out of ammo before they could make that thing hiccup. Probably why it lasted so long and why the M2 (.50 version) is still in service and racking up towelheads left and right.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:34 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

I try to avoid the parade situations with the HOG events. It is hard on the engine to heat up like that, breaks down the oil, plus the clutch and hand gets quite a rough workout. Several bikes shut themselves down in a recent Parade event here in Portland.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: softail2005

I try to avoid the parade situations with the HOG events. It is hard on the engine to heat up like that, breaks down the oil, plus the clutch and hand gets quite a rough workout.
I'm with you.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stupid is as stupid does

Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

I saw (and heard) the same thing at the ROT rally. Two guys, straight pipes and WFO all the way around the route. [sm=wtf.gif] I just dot get it....

Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ROLLNTIGER
Dude, we were on the strand almost all day and I don't get it. There were plenty more than just that one Phuktard that was doin the same thing. It got really old after awhile I was just waiting for one of them to let go of the clutch and send the bike into the crowd or topple over about a dozen bikes??
My thoughts too. All wannabes thinking people were impressed by that. Yep, ya got me. Never heard a loud Harley cranked up before. Especially not moving. Thanks, now my life is complete.

Quick Reply: What does it take to completely destroy a Harley Engine?