General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker dies during helmet protest

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
i think everyone should have a right to choose to wear a helmet, smoke, eat like crap, do whatever they want really.

BUT just like bad drivers who pay much higher insurance premiums those that do things that make my health insurance costs sky rocket should pay higher premiums. simple enough. smokers especially, if they get lung cancer we should just dump them in a field and let them die like an old eskimo instead of the billions it takes caring for these idiots.
I agree, babalu...but you know as well as I do that we're not gonna do that...we're gonna all help pay for the bad choices we ALL make in one respect, or another. As they used to say in the old Corps (and I suspect they did in your day as well)..."it's a big **** sandwich, and we're all gonna hafta take a big bite". We aren't eskimos living on the sea ice.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

All of you "bikers" that are so concerned about the cost of your health care, come on down on the southern border. Help U.S. keep the Mexicans at home, then you'll be really cutting some health care cost!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Please see my previous post on obesity.I don't want to pay for your life long lifestyle of gluttony. I would like to remind you folks he was fighting for your freedom of choice! Show some respect! But you have to turn it into a chance to tell us how to live our lives. Do you all work for the insurance industry?
Have a good July 4th.
Have to agree with your thoughts on those who eat themselves into whelchairs and screw up the handicap parking for those who deserve them. Same goes for them as my thoughts on folks that do worthless crap. But looking at my post, I cant see any words that indicate I want to tell someone how to run their lives. Just simply stating, if ya dont want to wear a helmet, get into a accident and feel at home next to a vegamatic, dont ask me to help pay for the juice to power up your lung breathing gizmo. I got gas to buy!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member

-----------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-02-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
And finally, economics aside, not wearing a helmet DOES affect other people... how about the poor person who accidentally hit you and kills you? Maybe you would have survived if you were wearing a proper helmet? Maybe you would have even gone home that night. Now you're dead. And the poor driver who didn't see you (probably because you are wearing black and gray road cammo to look cool) and didn't mean you any harm and just wanted to get their groceries home before the kids got off the bus now has killed another human being, a human being who doesn't think that their "freedom" to ride around with no helmet like a dumbass doesn't affect anyone else...
Yes, I really care about the feelings of some inattentive ******* who ran over me.

Originally Posted by cameraboy
And this, again, is why when a motorcyclist is killed because the driver failed yield, it should be a "failure to yield" ticket, not a manslaughter charge. Nobody makes us take a dangerous and risky mode of transportation when we could take a much safer mode. we choose to, and we should be prepared to accept the consequences.
That statement I somewhat agree with. They don't call them accidents for nothing. However if the motorist that fails to yield is texting or drunk, I think they should charge them with vehicular manslaughter and throw the book at them. The drunk SOB that ran me and another person over (Not on the bike, I was working as a wrecker driver at the time and out on a wreck scene) has probably forgotten all about it by now. Meanwhile, I have to see the scars and live with the lingering discomfort from my injuries everyday.

By the way, I was wearing an orange safety vest with bright yellow reflective strips on it, and so was the other wrecker driver. We were also behind two parked wreckers with the overheads on. The drunk driver never even hit his brakes until he was about ten feet from the wrecker we were both standing on the other side of. If it hadn't been for the wrecker truck absorbing some of the impact before it slammed into us I'm sure neither of us would still be alive. That experience is why I just roll my eyes and shake my head everytime I see you or someone else on here promoting those hi vis Power Ranger outfits. No thanks, I already know they don't work.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Have to agree with your thoughts on those who eat themselves into whelchairs and screw up the handicap parking for those who deserve them. Same goes for them as my thoughts on folks that do worthless crap. But looking at my post, I cant see any words that indicate I want to tell someone how to run their lives. Just simply stating, if ya dont want to wear a helmet, get into a accident and feel at home next to a vegamatic, dont ask me to help pay for the juice to power up your lung breathing gizmo. I got gas to buy!
The real point is, you can bet the guys riding Harleys without helmets are NOT asking you to help pay and wouldn't have the voting power to make that happen anyhow.

The "I might have to pay for their healthcare, so they should be required to wear helmets," argument is a lot like if the government said, "from now on, we are paying your TV cable bill, but you can only watch CNN, MSNBC, and CSPAN." I didn't ask the government to pay for my TV cable and I don't agree to their idea about what I should w3atch. Same for motorcycle heolmets and seatbelts. Any time the governments starts making paternalistic laws, it has overstepped its legitimate bounds (like ours did somewhere in the 1800's).

Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Someone presents a factual argument you cannot agree with, and all you can come up with is personal insults?

Considering the number of asinine comments "cameraboy" drops in the forum on a regular basis, I was being kind.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Considering the number of asinine comments "cameraboy" drops in the forum on a regular basis, I was being kind.
Stimulusboy is a hope and change O-voter...did you expect anything more?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by meatsack
Stimulusboy is a hope and change O-voter...did you expect anything more?

The only thing I expect from "cameraboy" is that every time it looks as tho his comments have hit bottom, he'll grab a shovel and start digging.

BTW, I dig your sig quote.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
The real point is, you can bet the guys riding Harleys without helmets are NOT asking you to help pay and wouldn't have the voting power to make that happen anyhow.

The "I might have to pay for their healthcare, so they should be required to wear helmets," argument is a lot like if the government said, "from now on, we are paying your TV cable bill, but you can only watch CNN, MSNBC, and CSPAN." I didn't ask the government to pay for my TV cable and I don't agree to their idea about what I should w3atch. Same for motorcycle heolmets and seatbelts. Any time the governments starts making paternalistic laws, it has overstepped its legitimate bounds (like ours did somewhere in the 1800's).
But you can bet your sweet bippy, in the event of a disabiling accident, they'll be running back to this same government asking it to support them for the rest of their lives. How ironic.

Quick Reply: Biker dies during helmet protest