General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker dies during helmet protest

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose

And what really gets me about these reports are the people who jump in with "he would have survived it he had been wearing a helmet". How the hell do they know? People die wearing helmets all the time.
well, when someone dies of head injuries, it's a safe bet

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (02-25-2024)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, when someone dies of head injuries, it's a safe bet
Did you see the word "probably" in the quote? I didn't.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe in freedom of choice. I don't like the government telling me what to do when it comes to my own safety. If I die because I'm not wearing a helmet, it hurts no one but me. If I had a wife and children that depended on me then I would probably wear one. Wearing a helmet certainly doesn't guarantee that you'll survive a crash, but anyone that doesn't think it increases your chances is lying to themselves.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

From the story:

Police want to remind riders that many novelty helmets are not legal.

You can check with the department of transportation to make sure your helmet has been approved.

So everyone should now take their helmet to the DOT and have them check their "Approved List"

As long as a woman's right to choose is absolute, motorcycle riders should have the same right to choose. After all it is our body, isn't it?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
I believe in freedom of choice. I don't like the government telling me what to do when it comes to my own safety. If I die because I'm not wearing a helmet, it hurts no one but me. If I had a wife and children that depended on me then I would probably wear one. Wearing a helmet certainly doesn't guarantee that you'll survive a crash, but anyone that doesn't think it increases your chances is lying to themselves.
Unfortunately, it often hurts a lot of communities. When a rider survives a serious head injury and ends up incapacitated, more often than not, the community has to care for the poor fool. And our tax money goes to care for him. Dont know about you, but Im tired of caring for a hell of a lot of people that dont know better. But you are right, best case scenario is to have him die, that way its a complete wash and everybody wins....the one that wanted the freedom and the ones that dont have to ensure he pisses on cue. Those helmets are made to protect you from low speed accidents (like a cyclist)...not when going ***** to the wall. Most head injury deaths are from the old noggin hitting the curb or some flying part. Ive got a lot of buddies been hit in parking lots, hurt in pack rides, most of them in a slow environment, all survived, all swear by their helmet. Yes some of us have the option, and some of us have absolutely no sense. Ride safe.....

Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
blackmetal415
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wear a novelty and sometimes a ff but damn man thats why i barely come to this site anymore because most of it is full of freaking scary as people.

i don't even bother asking a question here anymore after i bought my bike is like everyone has bank and is so worried about dying or crashing.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Unfortunately, sometimes the people who spoeak out for a good cause do more harm than good. That is also often the case on gun issues. I have the same view on both - I want NO government regulations, or as close as I can get.

If you're scared to ride without a helmet, wear a helmet. That doesn't mean you need to government to tell some other guy he has to wear one, just so you aren't the only guy in the crowd who looks like he's scared of motorcycles.
Dumb statement.... I wear a helmet because If there's a chance for me to survive a crash because of a head injury then for my family, business partners, friends, and me I made the right choice. Has nothing to do about being scared of motorcycles. I could care less if another rider does or doesn't wear a helmet. If they die because of their choice then so be it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CasaWolves
Unfortunately, it often hurts a lot of communities. When a rider survives a serious head injury and ends up incapacitated, more often than not, the community has to care for the poor fool. And our tax money goes to care for him. Dont know about you, but Im tired of caring for a hell of a lot of people that dont know better. But you are right, best case scenario is to have him die, that way its a complete wash and everybody wins....the one that wanted the freedom and the ones that dont have to ensure he pisses on cue. Those helmets are made to protect you from low speed accidents (like a cyclist)...not when going ***** to the wall. Most head injury deaths are from the old noggin hitting the curb or some flying part. Ive got a lot of buddies been hit in parking lots, hurt in pack rides, most of them in a slow environment, all survived, all swear by their helmet. Yes some of us have the option, and some of us have absolutely no sense. Ride safe.....

You know a lot of people would call us fools simply because we choose to ride motorcycles. Would you like to have that choice taken away from you?

Liberals and our lovely politicians in general have no problem with providing free health care for illegals, those too lazy to work, and prison inmates. So if I suffer a head injury in a crash, I guess the tax payers will just have to foot the bill for me also. By the way, a helmet doesn't 100 % guarantee you won't suffer a head injury in a crash, so maybe you should just give up riding. After all you don't want to be a burden on your community do you?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CasaWolves
Unfortunately, it often hurts a lot of communities. When a rider survives a serious head injury and ends up incapacitated, more often than not, the community has to care for the poor fool. And our tax money goes to care for him. Dont know about you, but Im tired of caring for a hell of a lot of people that dont know better.
Guess what, before you find that incapacitated, no-helmet biker you're caring for, you'll have to dig through the other 999,999 non-citizens, illegals and welfare cases with everything from a gunshot wound to AIDS. We probably pay more for medical care for our small death row population than we do for disabled bikers here. Then you can complain that a tiny fraction of a penny of what you pay in taxes to support the poor went to support a disabled biker who didn't have his own incurance. If you think you should be able to dictate how somebody lives, based on that fraction of a cent that they never asked you to pay for them to begin with, maybe another country would be more suitable to your political leanings (although this one has just about come around to your thinking, unfortunately).

Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrot
I guess that worked out real well for them. Dumb sh#t !
Its a shame for those he left behind though.
your compassion for another humun being is just sooooo touching, you are a fine example for others to follow.

Quick Reply: Biker dies during helmet protest