General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker dies during helmet protest

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure."

Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I say let those who ride decide. It's a free country. That being said a friend and coworker hit a deer on the way to work in March. Had he not been wearing his FF that would have been his last day. How could I know that? By looking at the helmet. Last year a friend did a low side on some gravel in a turn. His head bounced off the pavement in one spot and the chin bar saved his jaw from getting a grind job. Both these guys are long time experienced riders.

I wear mine mostly for comfort. It reduces wind noise. It constantly saves my face and head from rocks, bugs,blowing sand, sun, windburn, and rain. Even hail. Mine has a flip down internal tinted visor. I ride a lot and also travel. So riding bareheaded while fun for short rides does not work well for longer rides for me. It also keeps my head warm in cold weather. I would keep a sinus infection and sinus headache riding bareheaded in cold weather.

I have no problem with the other guy riding with no helmet. He knows the risk.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paniolo
The report states that friends and members of the groups put their back on helmets as they left the scene. Why did they do that? That can be easily misconstruyed by the state and may lend itself to work against their position. They would have been better served to continue to ride without helmets. I do feel for his family, they didn't deserve to lose him so young in life.
According to the article, ABATE had a parade permit in Syracuse allowing them to ride without helmets. This happened about 10 miles S of there, and Mr. Contos was not apparently a member of ABATE. So anyone who rode away would have been subject to arrest.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Gustapo
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Until you do it on a hot day without a bucket on, it's hard to understand why one would fight so hard for the freedom to make that choice for himself. As ironic as it may be, the choice to wear one should be his IMO.

People do dangerous things everyday in the name of thrills and recreation. From bunjee jumping, to skydiving, to skiing, to rock climbing, to downhill mountain biking, you name it... It's your choice to wear PPE in any of those cases, why should lids on bikes be so different..

Frankly I feel sorry for your loved ones if you choose not to, but that should still be your choice to make, not mine and not anyone elses. I ride damn near daily, and you will never see me without a jacket and full faced helmet on at bare minimum. I choose to dress for the crash, not the ride, and with luck on my side, go home at the end of the day, but who am I to force that choice on anyone else?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I'm not being a smart *** or trying to start a fight, but does that include infants and kids in car seat carriers? Would you take your kids or grand kids out and just plop 'em on the seat of your cage and drive off? I know you survived your parents doing that to you, but would you do that to them as an exercise in your freedom of choice and disdain for government rules and regulations? I understand that the child is a minor and does NOT have a choice, but as an adult your do.
I understand your point, however any idiot is allowed to be a parent. No licence. class or schooling required. The government doesn't say who can do it or not. If she is old enough to breed...It's nature that dictates this.

I am pro CHOICE everything. Safety what ever you want... People should be able to lead their own lives. If a parent is neglectful and thier child is injured. they must pay a pentally. Jail, fine or what ever. But they are left to make the choice. Just because we have laws that tell us we have to do things, the Darwin Winners still work around those laws and do what they want to do.

I am in no way saying I would ride without a helmet, place my kids in the car without restrants, or anything unsafe. But if people do choose to be unsafe it should fall on them to face the results of their actions.

You can argue the point all you want. I am just sick of uncle surgar leading our lives for us and protecting the stupid, then providing the stupid with shelter. The people that are dumb don't need to continue to be here... Let them be sorted out the natural way.... DARWINISM

Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
So many on this thread complain about the "Government" interfering with their "Choice." So let me politely point out that the "Government" that is interfering with your "Choice," would include you, me and everyone else who votes......The "Government" is not some abstract concept far far away and disconnected from you . . . it includes you! ......................
In a democracy the majority opinion rules...... It may not be the perfect form of government but it's the best system anyone has come up with so far. Sure the hell beats dictatorships and communism. If you don't like a rule or regulation work to get it changed and quit whining - just remember to do this you will first need to change public opinion on the issue that is important to you (eg. helmet laws). Public opinion is what directs government policy. Remember if you do not vote you do not have a right to complain about what the government does or does not do for you.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-10-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
In a democracy the majority opinion rules...... It may not be the perfect form of government but it's the best system anyone has come up with so far. Sure the hell beats dictatorships and communism.
A. You are right that democracy is not the best form of government. In fact, it may be the worst - absolute rule by the lowest common denominator has a hard time looking better than absolute rule by one guy who was at least smart enough to make himself ruler; but

B. Fortunately, America is NOT a democracy - one of the features of our government we are most proud of. We managed to form a semi-democratic government where the majority do not have absolutely power over the minority. Unfortunately, which the founders saw that one day the majority would try to dictate a religion, restrict anti-government speech or take away guns (all of which the majority are constantly fighting to do) they did not forsee that the majority would, 200 years later, go on a paternalism rampage where they tried to protect people from their own choices in everything from fireworks to seatbelts to motorcycle helmets. If Thomas Jefferson had had a motorcycle or a car, they might have thought of that too.

In summary, just because the majority says it, that doesn't mean an American must or should respect it. That isn't what we call freedom and it certainly isn't in the American tradition. If we ever come to the point of being a simple democracy, it's time to start using those guns.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pogo

But after seeing what happened in the news, I couldn't pass up looking to see who on the HD forums would pipe up some **** about personal freedoms (even though their choices are reflected in my insurance premiums) or helmets somehow being unsafe.

As a sportbike rider I consider many Harley riders my fellow riders, but the amount of "uneducation" attributable to peer pressure and flimsy one-off statements about how full face helmets are distracting or are so heavy that they'll snap your neck is worrisome.

Are you for real dude? It's SPORT BIKE RIDERS, who ride like fools, who push up insurance premiums not Harley riders who choose to ride without a helmet. Do you realize you pay about seven times as much for insurance on a motorcycle that costs half as much as a Harley? Sport bikes are THE highest motorcycle to insure. You should really educate yourself a little before spouting off about how we make your insurance rates go up, because you have it backwards.

Let me add that I have nothing in particular against someone who chooses to ride a sport bike. I have friends that do. But, it's the type that pull wheelies on the highway at 80 mph while wearing their full face helmet (along with shorts, tennis shoes, and no shirt) that make insurance premiums go up. I call them future road pizzas.

Last edited by fastjoe; 07-10-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
It's SPORT BIKE RIDERS, who ride like fools, .
I call BS. Seen all sorts of stupid crap being done by idiots on Harleys too.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by meatsack
I call BS. Seen all sorts of stupid crap being done by idiots on Harleys too.

You have a point, and so have I. But, from my personal experience, I've seen a lot more sport bike riders riding dangerously and at very high speeds than I have cruiser riders. I owned a Kawasaki Ninja for a short time back in the late 90s. Those bikes are made for one thing, to haul *** on. There's a reason why they cost so much more to insure than a cruiser type motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Biker dies during helmet protest