General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker dies during helmet protest

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pogo
It's not the 11 million illegal immigrants that are punishing the healthcare system, it's CITIZENS.

Some of you should find another strawman for the health care argument instead of being ignorant.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet is a moron. Anyone who thinks a brain bucket is the best compromise between looking like you're not a typical middle aged man and safety is also a moron.

You're either wearing 3/4, full faced, or a moron. No other options. The freedom to be that moron is still there of course, but when peer pressure tells you not to wear a helmet, you are a god damned moron and there's nothing else to it.
So now, because I wear a DOT approved half-helmet I am a 'god
damned moron' ? Thanks for your
opinion.

Here's my opinion. You should always spell God with a capitol 'G'. Give the guy a little respect. It may come in handy if you should meet him someday....

Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
So sportbike track racers must wear helmets just to look cool.
Nah...aerodynamics... They don't want their ears and lips flapping in the wind...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
ken b
Road Captain

Honestly, the government should not dictate who wears a helmet, seatbelt or any other safety device. If a person makes the choice to not wear a helmet and is injured, Tough crap. Their medical bill falls on them. Not the tax payers.
I am sick of this argument, big brother needs to let people lead their own lives. But people need to be held responsible for their choices. I don’t want to get stuck paying for some persons choice.

If your in a wreck on a motorcycle... Well that's not exactly a safe thing either, helmet or not. I love my motorcycle, I wear a half helmet and that's my choice. I have medical coverage and life insurance. If something happens to me my family is covered and so am I.

Last edited by ken b; 07-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
F34R
Tourer

Always sad to hear about someone passing away...

I've gone without a helmet, and I wear it.. mostly I wear my Scorpion EvoX-100 (half).

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
DesertRide
Intermediate

Reading this thread makes me do exactly what I thought it would... Hit my head against the wall with and without a helmet.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It is said that you just can't fix "Stupid."

So many on this thread complain about the "Government" interfering with their "Choice." So let me politely point out that the "Government" that is interfering with your "Choice," would include you, me and everyone else who votes . . . . which also includes a lot of non motorcycle riding folks which are almost certainly the majority of voters. The "Government" is not some abstract concept far far away and disconnected from you . . . it includes you! When the majority of voters decide that they don't want to have to pick up the tab for the medical bills of those who decided to take what the voters at large (again, that would be the Government) consider to be an unnecessary risk . . . we get helmet laws. This is because non-motorcyclists and many motorcyclists as well don't want to pay for trying to fix "Stupid." As long as the majority of voters feel that not wearing a helmet is "Stupid," there will be helmet laws. I don't know how many times in the past few days I've heard the term "Darwinism" used in conjunction with the unfortunate death of this fellow; but it speaks to the opinions held by most voters . . . oh yea, that would be the "Government."

Last edited by Bluehighways; 07-08-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
Honestly, the government should not dictate who wears a helmet, seatbelt or any other safety device.
I'm not being a smart *** or trying to start a fight, but does that include infants and kids in car seat carriers? Would you take your kids or grand kids out and just plop 'em on the seat of your cage and drive off? I know you survived your parents doing that to you, but would you do that to them as an exercise in your freedom of choice and disdain for government rules and regulations? I understand that the child is a minor and does NOT have a choice, but as an adult your do.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should make it part of the license, if you don't want to wear a helmet, check a box then have a test where they slam your head on the pavement and drag it along for 30 feet, if you survive without brain damage or don't need reconstructive surgery, you don't need to wear one.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I'm not being a smart *** or trying to start a fight, but does that include infants and kids in car seat carriers? Would you take your kids or grand kids out and just plop 'em on the seat of your cage and drive off? I know you survived your parents doing that to you, but would you do that to them as an exercise in your freedom of choice and disdain for government rules and regulations? I understand that the child is a minor and does NOT have a choice, but as an adult your do.
ah...my first head injury........

when I was still a newborn my mother was holding me on her lap in my dad's brand new 66 Impala SS. They were at a red light and got rear ended. I bounced off of the windshield head first and my father caught me.

memories...............

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

My wife is a nurse, and they call all bikers organ donors. I wear a half helmet here in mi, but when I cross the Ohio border, it comes off. I don't want any over paid suit telling me what rights I can, and cannot have. And yes I am a registered organ donor. In the end its my choice.

Quick Reply: Biker dies during helmet protest