General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is oil in a new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 AM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant believe this is for real

Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sslick
ok.... for the record that was a rhetortical question.... i figured it was a nicer way of saying how big of an a-hole do u have to be to not put oil in a motor. i will be waiting at their door when they open to find out how they will resolve this... needless to say they will not be working on my bike again!!
You from CA....? Killer Punk from your neighborhood!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Da1d8eRWM

Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up my bike after being in the shop getting a new Evo crate motor installed. On the ride home, at about the 15 mile mark the oil light comes on. I pull over, check the dip stick and it is bone dry. I blow the smoke out of the oil bag and it too is bone dry.... now I am no "factory trained" mechanic so can someone explain to me wtf???
... i will be waiting at their door when they open to find out how they will resolve this...
3 questions:

Why would you ever go back?

How'd you find them?

Were they the lowest bidders?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

ok.... for the record that was a rhetortical question.... i figured it was a nicer way of saying how big of an a-hole do u have to be to not put oil in a motor. i will be waiting at their door when they open to find out how they will resolve this... needless to say they will not be working on my bike again!!
U think.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should post who they are so others don't spend any hard earned money there (or have their motors trashed). Even if the scavanger system isn't working correctly, you would think that seals are getting blown by the increased pressure of too much oil where it's not supposed to be. Hope a band-aid isn't used on this bike, giving it back to you just hoping the motor lasts a while. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as you discovered that fact you should of called the hook and had it towed right back to where you had the work done. Oil is the life-blood in any motor, put especially oil and air-cooled motors such as ours.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 AM
hdmike1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my god!...
and from a shop!...
now im sure most of us would assume after an engine swap there would have been oil put back in the tank...
and would in fact get on and go...
id be raising holy hell on that one...
if your motors damaged, id have them replace it or refund your money, and never, ever go there for any thing again...
if its out of the realm of my knowledge i will find a friend to teach me how to do it, if not i fix it myself...
good luck with all that....

Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago with his car. The dealer changed the filter and drained the oil but didn't refill it. He blew it up a few miles down the road. It's an easy check before you pull out of a dealers lot. But I always do my own.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
if you rode it away and had no problem,then the light came on on the road you are probably alright,there was enough oil till it ran out,just add more oil and take the bike back to the shop.it could have a scavaging problem with the oil pump,not returning the oil back to the tank.or the shop needs to know something was really wrong.. probably a tech that doesn't care enough to fill/check the oil..
+1, better to be safe than sorry........

Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Welcome to the forum and drive like everyone is trying to kill you by not putting enough oil in your engine.

Quick Reply: How important is oil in a new engine?