General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No one stopped for brokedown rider in Vegas heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011 | 11:18 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I stopped for a guy on the side of the road weds night while I was out riding. He had just pulled over to put a bandana over his face because of the bugs (was dusk). Was an older biker, and he was completely floored and wouldn't stop thanking me. Said the last time he really needed help, no one stopped and he ended up walking. I haven't seen anyone smile like that in a long time.
One of those feel good moments when ya do the right thing.

A lot of people in here say they stop, hopefully everyone practices what they preach.

Old 07-02-2011 | 11:38 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaalman
While riding home yesterday I saw a rider with his Shovelhead along side of the road. I gave him thumbs up/down to see if he was OK. He gave me the thumbs down, so I swung back around to see what was up. When I pulled up, he said he just ran out of gas and had been sitting for almost an hour, and NO ONE bothered to see if he was OK. In that time he said all kinds of bike riders went by and didn't give him a second look. What really floors me is that it is a large, busy road with 4 lanes of travel each direction, and nobody even cared to see if he was OK. That is the one thing I don't like about Vegas, no one gives a crap except about themselves. I always check on any rider I see on the side of the road, regardless of what they ride. But I was raised differently, I guess....

Oh and yes, I did get him some gas and got him safely on his way. A North Las Vegas motorcycle officer stopped as well to give us some protection with his lights going.

It still baffles me that all those bike riders would pass by and leave a brother on the side of the road in Vegas summer heat...
Where were you? In town somewhere?

I was out riding yesterday, although I was in Mt Springs/Pahrump area. I always give the thumbs up or down and stop if needed.

I know it's like that everywhere, but there are some selfish son's of bitches in Vegas - like everyone. Same in southern CA. Just like the other guy said about letting people merge into the lane and no one thanking him. That's messed up, but I see it all the time.

Old 07-02-2011 | 11:52 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher

.....A lot of people in here say they stop, hopefully everyone practices what they preach.
going to be 112 today in Las Vegas and if I break down while I'm riding this afternoon I'll let you know when I get home how it goes

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:03 PM
uncle bo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guess it was how i was brought up too but i stop for all,unless i get the thumbs up..

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:09 PM
pdfiddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what Vegas is known for,self indulgence. What a wonderful place. NOT!

Old 07-02-2011 | 08:02 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

I've always prided myself on being the type of dude that will stop and help. I like to let folks in to traffic when reasonable. I think there are still a BUNCH of good people out there, but they are conditioned by society to shrink away from civic responsibility. It's a "me" culture, in large part. You are expected to do "your" thing, and not get into other peoples' business. It's not "cool" to care about other people. A lot of us don't care about cool, but it's not always easy to go against the grain. Sad thing is that we are teaching the next generation to be selfish, even though we don't mean to.

Old 07-02-2011 | 08:07 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

And while "pay it forward" is pretty gay, I still think the more good, unselfish acts you do, and show to others, the more others are going to do. It's like you tell people it's okay to treat each other well. Folks do what they're shown, a lot of times. I tell my kids that if they are ever abducted it is imperative to scream really loudly that "I don't know this person". That way, it kind of gives a prospective do-gooder the green light, or authorization to break from the norm and challenge the dude. Otherwise, people act like they don't see anything, cause they're scared of getting in somebody else's business and being wrong about something so serious. People have to be shown. So do some unselfish things, and show folks that it's not only okay, but it feels good to help somebody.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:48 PM
sbaalman
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fleabite
Where were you? In town somewhere?

I was out riding yesterday, although I was in Mt Springs/Pahrump area. I always give the thumbs up or down and stop if needed.

I know it's like that everywhere, but there are some selfish son's of bitches in Vegas - like everyone. Same in southern CA. Just like the other guy said about letting people merge into the lane and no one thanking him. That's messed up, but I see it all the time.
It was on North Lamb just north of the exit from I-15. He was just at the top of the bridge going over the railroad. Not a place one would stop to rest or talk on the phone.

Old 07-05-2011 | 05:52 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaalman
It was on North Lamb just north of the exit from I-15. He was just at the top of the bridge going over the railroad. Not a place one would stop to rest or talk on the phone.
I know exactly where you mean. But that could be why no one stopped - not a great place to pull over. But I doubt it, people just suck these days - sad fact.