General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No one stopped for brokedown rider in Vegas heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011 | 05:35 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canada must be different, heh. I've pulled over on the ride of the road to either check my phone or mess with my MP3 player, and every time, the first bike I see is always about to pull over until I give them the thumbs up.

Old 07-01-2011 | 05:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You stopped and someone else would have if you hadn't. Just takes time for the right person to eventually come along. Like it has been stated before --lots of riders not that many bikers. World is full of pussies, posers, uncharitable people.

Old 07-01-2011 | 06:58 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudos to you for doing what you did!

Old 07-01-2011 | 07:38 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

My hat's off to you. Vegas ain't the place to be broke down right now. 103 today.

Old 07-01-2011 | 07:49 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing about owning a bagger is I have plenty of room to carry extra bottles of cold water and shade umbrellas for when I see other riders on the side of the road around 'Vegas

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:15 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good for you for stopping.

On a ride a couple weeks ago my friends bike died on the side of the interstate. While we were working on it, a rider stopped and gave us a hand. It took us an hour to get it going and I figured the guy lived nearby, but after talking to him learned he still had about 400 miles to go in his 600+ mile trip. Great guy and real cool of him to help out!

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:29 PM
mmacfn
Cruiser

You are exactly the reason I think there is a brotherhood with bikers.

Thanks for keeping it alive!

Originally Posted by sbaalman
While riding home yesterday I saw a rider with his Shovelhead along side of the road. I gave him thumbs up/down to see if he was OK. He gave me the thumbs down, so I swung back around to see what was up. When I pulled up, he said he just ran out of gas and had been sitting for almost an hour, and NO ONE bothered to see if he was OK. In that time he said all kinds of bike riders went by and didn't give him a second look. What really floors me is that it is a large, busy road with 4 lanes of travel each direction, and nobody even cared to see if he was OK. That is the one thing I don't like about Vegas, no one gives a crap except about themselves. I always check on any rider I see on the side of the road, regardless of what they ride. But I was raised differently, I guess....

Oh and yes, I did get him some gas and got him safely on his way. A North Las Vegas motorcycle officer stopped as well to give us some protection with his lights going.

It still baffles me that all those bike riders would pass by and leave a brother on the side of the road in Vegas summer heat...

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:35 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain

Somewhere in all this madness someone broken down on the side needs to use a little common sense....let someone know you need help. Crossed arms (indicating you're broken down) or hand signals (waving) may clue someone in that you need help.

This times I have stopped after failing to get a thumbs up signal, it looked like I had pissed the guys off (except for a couple of them). So don't just stand there looking like a dumbass...let somebody know you need help.

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:43 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaalman
While riding home yesterday I saw a rider with his Shovelhead along side of the road. I gave him thumbs up/down to see if he was OK. He gave me the thumbs down, so I swung back around to see what was up. When I pulled up, he said he just ran out of gas and had been sitting for almost an hour, and NO ONE bothered to see if he was OK. In that time he said all kinds of bike riders went by and didn't give him a second look. What really floors me is that it is a large, busy road with 4 lanes of travel each direction, and nobody even cared to see if he was OK. That is the one thing I don't like about Vegas, no one gives a crap except about themselves. I always check on any rider I see on the side of the road, regardless of what they ride. But I was raised differently, I guess....

Oh and yes, I did get him some gas and got him safely on his way. A North Las Vegas motorcycle officer stopped as well to give us some protection with his lights going.

It still baffles me that all those bike riders would pass by and leave a brother on the side of the road in Vegas summer heat...
I hear what you are saying. The MoCo and the posers say it is a way of life/lifestyle. Huh? Lifestyle for who?

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:51 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If I was beside the road needing help I would be signaling like crazy,wouldn't wait for thumbs up or down.

Quick Reply: No one stopped for brokedown rider in Vegas heat