General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good story about Cam Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

SE kit is the fix. eliminates the problem.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Challenger
SE kit is the fix. eliminates the problem.
how does it eliminate the problem,,,,I have asked this question a few time and can't seem to get a good answer,,,,I'm not trying to be a pain.But I was told the same thing by a service manager that said i don't know it just does,,,,then another guy told me the hydraulic pressure was less than the spring pressure,i asked by how much?again,don't know.....I think it's just sold as a fix and really doesn't do anything,,,until I see some shoes out of one with 70 or 80 miles they wont be suckink 500 dollars out of my pocket to fix a design flaw with a different version of the design flaw....I could be wrong here but I just need proof,and by proof I mean someone showing me,not just saying cause thats the way it is...

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
paulpa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DBAGR
Gear drive works great on engines with .003 run out or less. Anything more than that can cause a lot more problems than chain tensioner wear. The hydraulic tensioner upgrade kit is a very good kit that also gives you a better oil pump.
P.S. paulpa, there is a difference of night and day between the two systems. The new hydraulic system uses a different type material for tensioner shoes and the the force placed on those shoes is regulated by oil pressure not the extreme continuous force of the spring style system. At idle when oil supply is less, the hydraulic shoes exert minimal pressure on the chains.
thank you for that answer,have you seen any high mileage ones out of a hydraulic unit?tthank you again

Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paulpa
thank you for that answer,have you seen any high mileage ones out of a hydraulic unit?tthank you again
I have changed cams in numerous late model bikes with the hydraulic tensioner system, two had excess of 50,000 mi, with shoe wear that was hardly noticeable. It is a very good system.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

why are the hydraulic ones better?It still has the same shoe,,,,am I missing something?
The hydraulic type don't push the shoes against the cam chain with as much pressure as the sprung version so tend to last longer, but they do still eventually wear out but last a lot longer.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 AM
paulpa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by magna
The hydraulic type don't push the shoes against the cam chain with as much pressure as the sprung version so tend to last longer, but they do still eventually wear out but last a lot longer.
Thank you,that makes alot more sense than" because it does",,,i think alot of people don't know why they work but just don't want to say,I don't know why,,,,I was also told the shoe pads are made of a differant material,,,is this true and do you know what it is? Thank you so much for your time

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Thank you,that makes alot more sense than" because it does",,,i think alot of people don't know why they work but just don't want to say,I don't know why,,,,I was also told the shoe pads are made of a differant material,,,is this true and do you know what it is? Thank you so much for your time
As far as I know theyre made of the same material,also I'm not sure on this but the chain you get in the kit may be a roller type,as I say im not certain as I haven't had to change mine yet, 20,000 miles on the clock so I'll be looking soon.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
paulpa
Cruiser

As far as I know theyre made of the same material,also I'm not sure on this but the chain you get in the kit may be a roller type,as I say im not certain as I haven't had to change mine yet, 20,000 miles on the clock so I'll be looking soon.
thank you again,,,I ate my first motor at around 75,000 and have about 30,000 on this one,,,didnt care so much about the first one it was under the unlimited miles warranty,,,but this motor i'd like to get a few miles out of...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM
sonnlaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
Me too. I am waiting to do my hyd. tensioners and Woods 555 cam together.
Done just that yesterday. A great idea. Im impressed to say the least. And btw my tensioners were ok at 30k on the clock,but no more worries now.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not even remotely the same material as the spring loaded shoes. The spring loaded are a hard bakeolite type material and are often times porous under the finished surface, which causes excellerated deterioration as soon as the surface begins to wear and are prone to cracking. The new style shoes are similar to the material used on the tensioner in your primary to control slack in the drive chain. At the rate of wear I've seen on these new shoes for the mileage, I see no need to check more often than 50,000 mi intervals minimum.

Quick Reply: A good story about Cam Tensioners