General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Bobber775
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for a beginner

For a rider new to the road would it be more practical to start out on a "beginner" bike or just go for what I want?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Hooah09
Cruiser

Well, if you wanted to be "practical," I would absolutely say to start out with a beginner bike (whatever you may consider that to be).

That being said, however, when I started riding I went with exactly what I wanted. I had never ridden a single mile on a motorcycle in my life, but I went out and bought a brand spanking new Harley. To me, my "beginner bike" was what I wanted. Now I have no idea what your circumstances are, but I say that you only live once, so why should you waste your time settling for a bike you don't really want--you'll just spend all your time thinking about the bike that you don't have!

(And I haven't regretted my decision for an instant!)

Last edited by Hooah09; 07-01-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

20 somthing years ago I rode a buddys V65 magna. Only time I have ridden a bike untill this year. I bought a 1200C sportster. I wanted a dyna of some sort.. Went for the XL instead, Now I am going to keep the sportster but am looking for a Road King.

I'm glad I bought the sporty but if the wife was against multiple bikes I would have regreted "being stuck" with it. Get what you want.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife's "beginner bike" was a 1995 Sportster Hugger. Never heard any regrets from her. Ride what you want to learn on, just don't be too hard on yourself if you tip it over occasionally. Pick it up, fix any damage, and get back on the thing. Don't forget to always have fun and by the way, take an MSF beginner course.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Bobber775
Advanced

Thank you all for the positive info......I to am leaning towards getting what I want....I can't see buying a bike to learn on and when the time comes to get what I want have to worry about selling that bike to get what I wanted in the first place.....and yes, I am definitely taking a rider course first chance I get...thanks again

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobber775
Thank you all for the positive info......I to am leaning towards getting what I want....I can't see buying a bike to learn on and when the time comes to get what I want have to worry about selling that bike to get what I wanted in the first place.....and yes, I am definitely taking a rider course first chance I get...thanks again

Thanks for what?

A very vauge question will only recieve vauge answers. Not the best answers.

Leave out riding experience, if none then can you drive a manual trans car, type of bike you want, how you plan on using it, are you 5'2", 6'2", etc, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Bznitch
Road Master

Get what is comfortable for you. If your dream bike is on the larger side, then yes, you might want to get something smaller for learning. If you know you don't plan to keep it, pick up a used metric. If your dream bike is a Harley that already fits you and you feel comfortable on, BUY IT!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are truly a beginner you might think of getting a cheap old metric to kick around on for a few months. I bought an 83 Kawasaki 440 for a grand and then sold it for the same price a year later. My mistake was buying a sporty as my first HD. Don't get me wrong, I loved that sporty...but, I should have just bought my Heritage when I sold that Kawa.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Thanks for what?
He was simply thanking people for their replies. Geez....

Originally Posted by Bobber775
I would definitely get what you want and not waste time on a "beginner" bike and be unhappy with it, especially considering the amount of money spent on one. Get what you want and don't look back.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Elijah
Intermediate

i agree with basscatcher. the issue with new riders (typically) isnt too much power, or not being able to shift or downshift, its 1st gear clutch control around a decreasing radius turn with oncoming traffic in the other lane. yeah yeah yeah sounds easy, but on an 800lb motorcycle its NOT.
ive been saying it for yrs on all kinds of different forums. never rode a motorcycle? buy a ninja 250 or motorcross bike and learn the basics. 5hrs at a saftey course aint gonna teach ya it all.
i GUARENTEE you'll drop your first bike. weather its in the driveway or around that turn i was talking about - itll happen.
flame away......

Quick Reply: for a beginner