General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Bobber775
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
I had zero motorcycle experience, zero manual tranny experience, took the MSF course and before it was done bought what I wanted. Haven't looked back. I suggest the MSF course if you have no riding experience.

YMMV

BTW, what bike is in your avatar/profile pic?
That would be the street bob....the one that got away :P

Last edited by Bobber775; 07-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started out on my current bike 1200XL sportster 2003. However I really want a Deluxe, Fat Boy or Road King.

If you are 6' or over then i would suggest you don't get a sporty.

My advice would be get what you want. Take the riders course and start out slow. Kick around town. I made a point to ride every day. Even if just around a couple mile practicing turning. i did this for 3 or 4 months.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobber775
For a rider new to the road would it be more practical to start out on a "beginner" bike or just go for what I want?
...have experience in riding motocross 15 yrs worth, I'm 5'10" I plan on buying a street bob...
You were a little cryptic, at 1st. I would have read it as zero experience.

W/ your experience and stature, you should just get the bike you want. If/when you drop it, it won't be the last time, and there's little damage you can do, a bent shift lever, a scratch on the muffler, or some such. Life is short. Why ride a bike you don't like?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Bobber775
Advanced

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
I started out on my current bike 1200XL sportster 2003. However I really want a Deluxe, Fat Boy or Road King.

If you are 6' or over then i would suggest you don't get a sporty.

My advice would be get what you want. Take the riders course and start out slow. Kick around town. I made a point to ride every day. Even if just around a couple mile practicing turning. i did this for 3 or 4 months.

i figured i would do the same....venture out a little at a time and then increase as i get more comfortable

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Bobber775
Advanced

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You were a little cryptic, at 1st. I would have read it as zero experience.

W/ your experience and stature, you should just get the bike you want. If/when you drop it, it won't be the last time, and there's little damage you can do, a bent shift lever, a scratch on the muffler, or some such. Life is short. Why ride a bike you don't like?

Maby just a tad My stature i feel is alot different than the Road....dirt is all out all the time as fast as u can go.....not the same as the street kinda the oppisite...thats why im so full of questions and doing massive research.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?? I do have experience in riding motocross 15 yrs worth, I'm 5'10" I plan on buying a street bob........now get off my thread and troll someone else

Instead of worrying about my breakfast I think you should learn to do two things.

Stop pissing into the wind and think before you write.

You come on here, start your thread asking for advice for a beginner.
You then leave out your bike riding biography, and any other important facts to help us give thought out reply.
You get people to ask about what why where when and how questions not to knock you but to give a more individual tailored response.

This will be my last post to you.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah
i GUARENTEE you'll drop your first bike. weather its in the driveway or around that turn i was talking about - itll happen.
flame away......

Cannot say that I fully agree with this statement. My Nightster is my first bike. Bought it a year ago this month. Put 5000 local miles on it and haven't come close to laying it down.

If the rider take the time to learn the bike, it's size shouldn't matter.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Bigsarge71
Advanced

Yeah definitely get what you want. I made the mistake of getting a bike to learn on and spent 5 years lusting for my road glide.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Default same thing

when I was getting my bike I had though the same thing...

I learned on my own on a little dirt bike, just to make sure I would like riding, and of course I did.

I though about getting a used bike for like $5k, and than upgrade later, but i realized that is a waste and just went for the bike I wanted, 2011 Fat Boy Lo. I took the MSF and did alot of riding around in my neighborhood before going out on the rode. The more I have rode the more comfortable I feel and look forward to years of driving and keep improving my skills. I dont regret getting a 700lb bike. I know my limits and not doing anything crazy, being careful.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Maby just a tad My stature i feel is alot different than the Road....dirt is all out all the time as fast as u can go.....not the same as the street kinda the oppisite...thats why im so full of questions and doing massive research.

15 years dirt experience going "all out all the time as fast as you can".
On a high center of gravity dirt bike doing 70+ mph and up 100 mph on uncertain terrain and you are worried about a Harley.

Now you are asking taking a MSF course and talking about tooling around town until you are comfortable?

Quick Reply: for a beginner