General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Bobber775
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Thanks for what?

A very vauge question will only recieve vauge answers. Not the best answers.

Leave out riding experience, if none then can you drive a manual trans car, type of bike you want, how you plan on using it, are you 5'2", 6'2", etc, etc.
Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?? I do have experience in riding motocross 15 yrs worth, I'm 5'10" I plan on buying a street bob........now get off my thread and troll someone else

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,726 Likes on 793 Posts

Excellent choice on the "Bob". Have fun and remember to share pics of your new baby!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the Street Bob was the first Harley I ever rode.... good choice. don't pay attention to the nay-sayers about dropping your bike. there are only 2 types of riders, those that have dropped theirs and those who are about to. read through the posts.... plently of stories of experienced riders dropping their bikes.

if you haven't - take the MSF course and practice.

enjoy your Bob!!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

When I started out I bought a little 250 Honda Rebel. I bought it for $1500 with only 3,000 miles on it. I rode that thing EVERYWHERE. I'm talking to class, to work, to see the gal, everywhere. That bike taught me how to ride and gave me more confidence when I went to get my first big Harley. I did lay it down in the driveway once, but it happens as it's part of the learning curve. No damage however and I sold that bike for what I paid for it. So I basically learned how to ride for a year or longer for free. Plus the insurance and licensing was super cheap. I went that route of a smaller learner bike because at the time I was only 20 years old and if I had spent all my nickels on a Harley and dropped it, I wouldn't have been able to pay for the repairs. Now, accidents can occur, but now I'm on my Super Glide, I feel confident and riding is almost like second nature to me. I feel more natural on the Harley than I do in my car, and that's because I took the time to learn and learn correctly. Yeah, you'll get burned by your buddies sometimes for having a small bike, but alot of the Harley riders knew it was just for learning and were very supportive in my transition to the Harley family. Learning on a smaller bike is respectable. It's better than going out and dumping a $15,000 Harley on your first go.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

All depends on what you want really... Take the safety course and that will help tell you how comfortable you are on two wheels. If you get along really well, then go buy your bike, but remember that a Electro Ultra Classic is not a good bike to start with for anyone. Also, if you go spend 20k on a bike and realise you can't drive, or don't enjoy it, you're gonna be out a lot of money...

Old 07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
dgkurilkojr
Cruiser

it seems like everyone on here says that a sporty is good begginner bike because its small. ive heard from a bunch of people that the sporty's are one of the easiest harleys to lay down because of the weight being up higher on the bike versus the "bigger" harleys being better balanced. my dad has a sporty and i have a bob and can defintley tell a difference in weight displacement but havent laid either one down yet. anyone else heard the sportys are the easiest harleys to lay down due to weight displacement? sorry to divert off topic OP just wondering.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobber775
Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?? I do have experience in riding motocross 15 yrs worth, I'm 5'10" I plan on buying a street bob........now get off my thread and troll someone else
He was a little cranky, but I do agree you shouldn't make this decision without a lot more info, from you. If you have some experience and in decent shape easier to get what you want. I am glad I had my first 20k on a Vulcan 750, nwhen you ot my current FLHTCUI. Lot easier to recover from a mistake on a 500 lb bike than a 900 lb bike. Good luck. When you start riding do a search on riding in the rain, easier to learn from others experiences.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
N58TB
Advanced

Get the Harley.

If you're already wanting it and you're going to take the MSF course, just get what you want, take your time and go at your own pace on the Bob.

The Fat Boy Lo was my first bike, the wife's first one was the 1200 Custom. No problems and not a single regret. Get the ride like a pro DVD and practice, practice, practice to get your confidence up. Ride safe within your limits and enjoy!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dgkurilkojr
ive heard from a bunch of people that the sporty's are one of the easiest harleys to lay down because of the weight being up higher on the bike versus the "bigger" harleys being better balanced. anyone else heard the sportys are the easiest harleys to lay down due to weight displacement?
I've heard that from several people, including sale reps at the Harley shop down the road.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobber775
For a rider new to the road would it be more practical to start out on a "beginner" bike or just go for what I want?

I had zero motorcycle experience, zero manual tranny experience, took the MSF course and before it was done bought what I wanted. Haven't looked back. I suggest the MSF course if you have no riding experience.

YMMV

BTW, what bike is in your avatar/profile pic?

Quick Reply: for a beginner