General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMax 55s helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMax 55s helmet

Anybody using the GMax 55 helmet with the pull down shield. Hows the quality. I hear lots of good things about it. How does it fit - run large or small. How close does the shield sit to your glasses (if you wear glasses). Thanks for any info offered...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just got one the other day, haven't use it yet, size is pretty true. you can wear glasses with the visor

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've owned a Gmax 55s for two riding seasons now. it is my favorite helmet that i've owned. The fit is right on, and the drop down visor works very well with glasses. It also doesn't make your head look as much like a mushroom and some of the others.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 AM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i've found the visor hits the glasses while being deployed and rides close enough to them for them to hit on a bump etc.. so i don't use it.. the helmet seems ok.. got it to put in the saddle bag and use when in a state requiring the use of one...

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my second season with my GMAX 55 and I love the helmet. But the liner runs on the large side so I'd order a size smaller. I've always worn an XL helmet but the guy at the place I bought it online recommended I go with a L and he was right. The visor works but for me it doesn't come down far enough and also gets to close to my sunglasses with inserts. Great helmet though and I'd recommend it.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM
FASTART
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hsd mine for almost a year now.I agree with petemac on the sizeing I ended up one size smaller than normal. This is the first half helmet that I have worn that doesnt want to lift or blow back at highway speeds.I have only used the pull down visor a couple of times it seems like a lot of air gets blown up around your eyes with it down. I would highly recommend this helmet

Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this helmet, I take a xxl full face helmet, took a xl half helmet. Fits alright, honestly never rode with it yet (just got it). Definitely won't fit with a hat on backwards like some others that I tried do.

As far as the visor goes, it doesn't come down far enough for me, but I don't think I'd use it anyway if it did.

Seems like a well vented, nice lined half helmet, ill probably use it tomorrow for the first time.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
scheng32
Cruiser

as it is my first helmet cant talk about the size. I got mine in a store and had to try them on to figure out my size.

I like the helmet, I dont use the visor, but it doesnt hit my glasses, Oakley Mframes or Wiley X goggles. I dont use the visor cause it causes the wind to blow into my face.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a GMax 35X helmet and really like it. It's one of the lowest sitting DOT half-helmets that I've seen.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i just bought one, $69 on fleabay, $79 at indie shop,

LOVE it. the drop down shield is good for rain, keeps rain from hitting you in forehead

to use the drop down with glasses, they can not have a rim on them (like sunglasses)
it just puts WAY too much stuff in your field of vision.

with clear safety glasses with no rim/frame, the drop down shield is pretty good.
i rode in with the clears on, and when i make the final turn into the rising sun, i pulled it down, and it was pretty good.

Quick Reply: GMax 55s helmet