General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster...which to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011 | 12:08 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the EVO engine is a much better engine. I don't like or trust the big twin engines. Plus, I don't think a dyna is 2x the bike the sportster is, but it costs 2x as much.

If you are going to pay dyna prices, you are now into Victory and Triumph Thunderbird territory, so at least test ride those, IMO.

That is just my opinion though, i hope nobody takes offense to it.

Last edited by cameraboy; 07-02-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2011 | 12:13 PM
rowan
Road Master
Thumbs up

sportsters are awsome, But you owe it to yourself to at least test ride a Dyna.
If you can rent one for a day. I went from a 02 sportster to a 05 Lowrider big difference
but I wish I had not traded the sportster in towards my Lowrider I should have kept it also
Carl

Old 07-02-2011 | 01:57 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I think the EVO engine is a much better engine. I don't like or trust the big twin engines. Plus, I don't think a dyna is 2x the bike the sportster is, but it costs 2x as much.

If you are going to pay dyna prices, you are now into Victory and Triumph Thunderbird territory, so at least test ride those, IMO.

That is just my opinion though, i hope nobody takes offense to it.
That depends on which Sportster you compare to which Dyna. I bought my 09 FXD brand new in 09 for $11,200. I could have easily spent that much on a Sportster.

OP, the Dyna can haul more gear, is better 2up (even though you don't need that), has a better ride, and carries more fuel. Since they dropped production of the FXD, the FXDC is now officially the most bang for your buck in a new HD. Go ride one.

Old 07-02-2011 | 02:27 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

that's a great price for a new dyna. In 09, when I bought my sportster, the most affordable new dynas I could find were no less than 13,000.

I paid 7100 for my iron 883, new.

I highly disagree though, that the FXDC is the most bang for your buck. I think the sportster still holds that honor, but that's my opinion.

I'm probably pretty different though, from most HD riders you will find on this forum.

Old 07-02-2011 | 02:54 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cameraboy
that's a great price for a new dyna. In 09, when I bought my sportster, the most affordable new dynas I could find were no less than 13,000.

I paid 7100 for my iron 883, new.

I highly disagree though, that the FXDC is the most bang for your buck. I think the sportster still holds that honor, but that's my opinion.

I'm probably pretty different though, from most HD riders you will find on this forum.
Depends on what you want it for I guess. Honestly, the OP's needs sound more like a Sportster than a Dyna. I just see the Dyna as more versatile. Light enough to hop on for a short trip, but capable of serious touring too. I don't see being comfortable 2 up on a Sporty for multiple days.

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:14 PM
schumacher
Club Member

only one of them is Harley's longest in production model

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:54 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by schumacher
only one of them is Harley's longest in production model

That one's a beauty for sure

Old 07-02-2011 | 05:02 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Light enough to hop on for a short trip, but capable of serious touring too. I don't see being comfortable 2 up on a Sporty for multiple days.
yea, you are right. The farthest I can ride my Iron 883 in a single day without starting to hate life itself is 400 miles or so...

Old 07-02-2011 | 05:10 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

If can find one look for an FXR... Somewhat a Sportster Somewhat a Dyna but with it's Great Handling Frame better than them both, with an EVO Engine to boot ..

Old 07-02-2011 | 05:18 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

Owned and rode em both....for me it's a Dyna Hands down as the better ride for me. But SREW that idea of looking at a Victory or Metric bike. You'd never forgive yourself in the log run.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster...which to buy