General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp replacement bulb-LED? Halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine with an HID kit. Best $ I ever spent!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Bought 2 Xenon Halogen 100W/90 bulbs ( stock was 60W/55,) from EBay over a year ago, Bright blue/white light, no additional power drain .
Technically impossible. Those ratings ARE teh power drain, so either you do have an additional drain, or your new bulbs were falsely labeled. Or they used 55w xenon gas and claim it's as bright as a 90w halogen

Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,825 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterPX
Technically impossible. Those ratings ARE teh power drain, so either you do have an additional drain, or your new bulbs were falsely labeled. Or they used 55w xenon gas and claim it's as bright as a 90w halogen
I see your point, (100W vs 60W = More Drain? or just as bright as? Amps vs Volts?)

Well they're way brighter and whiter than the yellowish stock halogens I pulled out. And the volt meter behaves the same coming off idle, and there is no apparent heat increase...

Maybe I'm pulling more power and don't notice it. Regardless, it's a huge, inexpensive improvement on my bike.

Thanks for the exchange.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 PM
matt1080
Advanced

If you have the money go with the HD LED headlight. Factory fit and amazingly bright.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the HD LED headlamp is very, very bright - pretty important in this country where you share the road with all manner of livestock, deer and elk.

Not that it would stop me from buying it again - which I guess I sorta did - but mine developed a condensation problem immediately after installation. So did the HD LED passing lamps, and my left LED front turn signal smoked itself after about 100 miles. Not an installation problem, they were installed by a highly competent, experienced mechanic - my son. There apparently is a new part # for the headlamp - not a "recall", just a new number when they give you a new light.

My dealer (Salem Harley Davidson in Salem, Oregon) is taking great care of me, so that's not a problem - but it's still a giant PITA. Of course they have their hands full taking care of me, since my 2011 Heritage has been in the shop for the last 2+ weeks waiting for parts - it was making a hell of a noise - at about 800 miles, was at the Hells Canyon rally in Baker, so there were about 1150 miles on it when I finally got it to the shop - it had a bent crankshaft, which took out a front piston plus a few other things. The only good thing is it didn't come apart while I was on it. I don't want to ride anything but a Harley (had a 2009 FLHTC before the Heritage and a 2007 Deluxe before that) - but this has been a real disappointing deal so far. Sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread - I'll post this in the Softail forum if anybody wants to reply to the engine problem.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,825 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterPX

From the vendor's website, apparently output wattage is not the same as power usage:

The brightness of any bulb is measured in several ways. We don’t like any of them because they are not honest some manufatctures use Lumens some use candlepower and and all those numbers can be fudged to show any result you want because there is no testing standard. Degrees of Kelvin or just “K” tells you the color temperature of the light (nothing to do with operating temperature). If you stare directly into the sun you will see that it produces an extremely white light. Sun light is 4850°K, Most vehicles are equipped with standard halogen bulbs with a Kelvin around 3200°K. Nokya Arctic White bulbs bulbs produce about 5000°K and Arctic Purple bulbs are about 7000°K. They also have big output of light increases achieved two ways. First, these bulbs use a more tightly wound spiral filament made of finer wire in a precise mixture of halogen and xenon gasses that is under much higher pressure than a normal halogen bulb. Second, the presence of xenon gas under high pressure provides an increased rate of halogen regeneration resulting in a very intense light.

Depending on the design, a 55-watt version of this type of bulb can produce the equivalent output to an 85-watt or higher standard halogen bulb but without the amperage draw and heat of the standard 85-watt bulb.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Interesting thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put the HD LED on my Softail. I took a ride the first night to an unincorporated area around a lake here, no street lights. I was blown away at the amount of light the HD LED puts out! Not only side to side, but the throw outwards was unreal! And a very bright white light. Most cars nowadays have daytime running lights. Before the HD LED was installed I always ran the Xenon blue bulb for the white light it gives out. I didn't want to look like every headlight on the road, yellow. I have this theory: If they see me, maybe, just maybe they won't hit me. I'm now LED Headlight and Tail/Stop light. I've already noticed cages pulling out from shopping centers look at me approaching and they STOP after seeing this bright azz white light.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

My real question is this:

If the bulb fails in an LED headlight, a new BULB is available, correct?

Consider the way an LED bulb can easily replace a tail light or signal light in the stock housing. Is this possible with headlights, and if not, why not?