General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so few sidecars nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
firebrick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so few sidecars nowadays?

I have alot of old motorcycle literature passed down through family. From thumbing through the 20's and 30's it seems like about 1 in 3 harleys were hacked. Seemed to have really died down after WW2 although have seen some pics of sidecars here and there in harley mags. I have a hack and think its a freaking blast. So much more practical for hauling **** on long trips too. Just wondering what you think killed off the popular "hack" in todays motorcycle world?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM
firebrick
Road Warrior

I might as well through my guess in here since I started the thread. My guess is price, cost of a new harley hack itself is half what I paid for my whole setup.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Trikes.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think sidecar rigs are really cool. My wife swears she'll never ride in one though

Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It was the small car of the day. The cars where freaking huge for the most part. Just my guess.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

Trikes are more popular. Also, hacks have no lean angle when cornering. The lean is one of the things that make riding fun. Take it away and you might as well drive a cage.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motorcycles now are mostly luxuries and side cars a lot more expensive. There just is no demand anymore for them.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I think sidecar rigs are really cool. My wife swears she'll never ride in one though
Same with my wife. She also said she would never let the kids ride in one. Saw a guy yesterday at the gas station on a beautiful Heritage. He had a rusty piece of **** side 'something' mounted to his bike. Looked like something a middle school shop class threw together for someone to carry a big cooler on. We were talking and I asked him (politely, not in an ******* way) what was it supposed to be. He said it was for his dad's wheelchair. His dad (who built the rig himself) had just passed away and he hadn't gotten around to taking it off yet. Said every time he tried he broke down, and just couldn't do it. Man, I really felt like an *** for my "what is this idiot thinking" thoughts I was having before talking with him. Gave him my contact info and told him if he wanted to leave it on, to bring it by and we'd drink a few beers and paint it. (the metal was still just the red-oxide factory primer)

Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

My OL has said she would like to have one but just can't afford one right now.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 AM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

sidecars were available up to a certain point i just cant remember when. it had alot to do with emission standards that couldnt be passed with with that heavy side car attached.... but that is probably one in the many things that cuased sidecars to be taken from production harleys.

Quick Reply: Why so few sidecars nowadays?