General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Expert Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
The experienced rider course is organized practice with your own bike. If you've mastered riding at slow speeds using the friction zone, you'll have no problems. The "Ride Like a Pro" video is basically the same course.
The ERC has no similarities to the "Ride Like a Pro" video. It uses 8 exercises from the MSF Basic Rider Course and one new exercise "Multiple Curves" in addition to some on the range discussions.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you think ya heard it all ...... Basic Bike Bonding , Ultimate Bike Bonding courses who the hell thinks of these titles ..... Roll up! Roll up!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Belle
I just finished the MSF Experienced Rider Course and loved it, I mean REALLY loved it! I am so glad I did it. It is EXACTLY like the basic rider course but on your own bike. The instructors were so understanding and helpful. The other guys in the class (I was the only girl) were so encouraging and understanding. I was a much better driver by the end of the day. I was flying through turns that I couldn't do at the beginning of the day without duckwalking my bike or putting a foot down. I had so much fun and even passed the exam at the end of the class (the military base where I took it requires an exam but I don't think it is MSF wide).
So glad you went through with the course. I started reading this post from the beginning so... Congats! It's so exciting to go through the learning curve and come out with practiced skills to make riding a more confident experience. I still drop in to an empty parking lot and practice slow stuff. I was really inspired by Ride like a Pro. Great vids. The best to watch IMO are your local Police.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations Belle, now al there is left to do is practice, practice, practice.................

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First - it isn't the "expert" rider's course, it's the "experienced" rider's course, so don't think they expect experts. I have taken it and the riders there were FAR from expert. They were about your level and I'll bet they will be at your class. In fact, one of them was brand new, never had the basic course and had been riding his first motorcycle a few weeks. No big deal. All you will be doing is repeating things from the basic course, but on your own motorcycle.

One guy in my class did it on a chopper, about like this:

Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

The MSF instructors which I have dealt with as Safety Director of my HOG Chapter recommend that you have at least 5000 miles experience before you take an Experienced Rider Course. I have never told anybody that they can't take the course, but, you should be very comfortable with handling your bike before you take the course. Get some miles under your belt, take the course next year, and I guarantee that you will get a lot from it. Good luck, relax, and have fun.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to hear you enjoyed the class. I'm planning on taking the same class at Dobbins AFB this fall (cooler here in GA then!). I believe any training is good for us and that we learn what we are ready to learn. Congrats and glad you enjoyed it.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
MAGNYS
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Belle
I just finished the MSF Experienced Rider Course and loved it, I mean REALLY loved it! I am so glad I did it. It is EXACTLY like the basic rider course but on your own bike. The instructors were so understanding and helpful. The other guys in the class (I was the only girl) were so encouraging and understanding. I was a much better driver by the end of the day. I was flying through turns that I couldn't do at the beginning of the day without duckwalking my bike or putting a foot down. I had so much fun and even passed the exam at the end of the class (the military base where I took it requires an exam but I don't think it is MSF wide).

nice job!
never be nervous around more experienced riders, they were all "new" once too. Alot of "experts" forget that.
Dont be afraid to remind them, in a respectful way.