General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding experience + passengers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005 | 10:51 AM
chunks
|
Road Captain
Default riding experience + passengers

I've got a new Fat Boy that I have put 850 miles on in the last month.

This is the sum total of my riding experience.

My wife wants very much to get on there and go places with me and I've been
stalling because I want to make sure that I'm 100% comfortable with the bike and riding in general
before I add a passenger into the equation.

The questions I have are:

1. How much experience is recommended before taking passengers?

2. What differences can I expect (other than the obvious more weight = slower acceleration) and pitfalls should I
be prepared for?

Old 07-08-2005 | 12:57 PM
TuxedoCartman
Banned
Default RE: riding experience + passengers

MAKE CERTAIN YOUR WIFE KNOWS HOW TO RIDE PASSENGER!!! Can't stress that one enough. The best thing to tell is to look over your shoulder in the direction you're leaning.

First time I rode with a passenger was on a V-Rod, and I neglected to educate said passenger. Well, first sharp left turn I came to, I pressed left, leaned left, and the bike....kept going straight! That's because my passenger, "Was too scared to lean toward the ground!" She was leaning to the right. I had to slow the bike down enough that I could turn the wheel to make the turn. After that, I told her to at least stay perpendicular to the bike. Needless to say, it was a short ride.

Other than that, be aware that accelerating takes more time, and your stopping power is greatly reduced. Other than that, you should be fine (especially on a Fatboy).

Old 07-08-2005 | 01:04 PM
rpoteau
Cruiser

Chunks,

It's really your choice on how soon to give a passenger a ride. I waited a month or two before I gave my gf a ride. Just realize that turning, and slow speed maneuvers are going to be that much more difficult with the weight difference. Of course be sure to have her get on after you and from the left side as to not get burned or anything. Let her know to lean with you and to look over your shoulder a bit when going around corners and not to put her feet down when you come to stops. Other than enjoy the ride man!

-Ryan

Old 07-08-2005 | 01:16 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

When I first starting riding with my husband I had the opposite problem. I leaned into the turn before he would. It just takes some getting used to before you are both in sink. Start with a few small rides around the block to get the feel. Before long you won't even notice she is there.

Old 07-08-2005 | 01:24 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Ensure to go over the basics with your passenger.

They should never get on or off the bike without you telling them to.
They should get on and off from the same side.
This will help you be prepared for the shift in the weight.
Have the Bike in neutral before they get on or off, and of course have a hand on the brake.

Your bike will probably accelerate just as fast (Love that V-Twin) but the extra weight will require a bit more stopping time/distance.

It is the slow speed maneuvering that takes a bit to get used to, but and normal speeds you probably won't notice too much of a difference. Every now and then I reach back to check if the wife is still there...

Take her for a putt... but be careful cause once you do she will be a permanent passenger...unless of course she decides to get her own scoot.

Old 07-08-2005 | 01:51 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

IMO you need to be completely comfortable with your bike's handling and your skills before you take on a passenger. Only you will know when that is. Mileage or time isn't always a good rule of thumb, because it's the "quality" of your riding (how much you learn and practice your skills) that really matters.

Good advice already from the other riders here. You'll need to be prepared for the unexpected, like what Tuxedo said - what if you go to steer and the bike won't? You need to be able to handle those situations without any panic.

With a passenger on your bike you'll notice the following changes over riding solo:

- longer stopping distances
- when coming to a stop, the bike will be less stable (best to stop more "aggressively", don't drag out the time you spend 'creeping to a stop' at single-digit mph)
- slower acceleration
- challenge to shift smoothly, otherwise you'll bump heads or helmets between shifts
- bike will be tougher to steer and will require more bar input
- your rear suspension may sag if you didn't add more spring preload (you'll want to adjust your suspension before riding two-up)

As you can see, there are BIG changes that you'll experience. You have to be able to handle those things happening.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:04 PM
teach
Cruiser

It doesn't matter how many miles or how long you've been riding biking is hazardous, so really its a judgement call on your part. I'd suggest if your still not comfy with the idea of taking your wife out on the road that perhaps you should just take her out for some slow speed putts in the quiet neighborhoods. This will allow you some peice of mind and allow you to experience the difference when carrying a passenger.
Now there has been some good advice so let me just give you mine. Brief any passenger that they are to sit perfectly flat on their butt, like a big ole sack of potato's, looking over your right or left shoulder. They should NEVER lean. If they are sitting flat on their butt they will naturally go with the lean of the bike and in line with you. it has been my experience that when you describe it like this passengers don't get confused and try to lean.
Happy trails and ride safe..... T

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy, you have been given some good advice as to when to ride with a passenger. What I thought was funny, was I had a similar experience with my wife on my first bike. She was used to being on snowmobiles and when I turned left, she leaned to the right and I went straight ahead. It wasn't funny at the time, but as I look back on it, it was an experience. What it boils down to is your personal confidence in your abilities to handle your bike and if you think that you could handle having a passenger on the back. I would suggest work into it slowly and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:49 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

everyone has given really sage advice here..when hubby got the wideglide,he did at least 1,000 before he was comfortable enough to have me on the back - just getting the feel of the scoot and all her characteriistics. Once you add someone else on the back, it changes everything. I rode with him for maybe another 800 miles before I said - enough - gonna get my own.

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:58 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

First of all she must ask if I'm ready before she mounts or dismounts. If not ready, she stays put until I'm ready.
Second, she does not shift or adjust without telling me and my agreement. We do this by touch, she puts both hands on my shoulders and I either nod yes or no. She never moves in a curve.
Third, when in curves, she looks over my inside shoulder, this puts her in perfect position on the bike. She understands that she is in control....Yep, you read it right. If I go too fast, she can and will slow me down, If she thinks I entered the curve too hot, she tells me and I slow down. Here it's about her confidence....If I scare her, she won't ride with me and I lose. Nothing like having a great looking lady on the back with a nice rack pressed into your back!
Fourth Slow speed is a challenge and she must understand that she must be absolutely still. If she tries to help you turn, you are going down !

With practice you will become a great riding team. As with riding in general, take things very slow and do nothing in a hurry. the parking lot of the high school makes a great place to practice.

Good luck, I'll bet soon that she will be as ready as mine is to ride.. PS explain to her they call it a Milwaukee vibrator for a good reason

Bubba[sm=groupwave.gif]

Quick Reply: riding experience + passengers