General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding experience + passengers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005 | 03:16 PM
Choke03RKC1
Advanced
Default RE: riding experience + passengers

Good experience on this board! I began riding 35 years ago and am still learning. ;- )

My suggestion is to consider taking a riding course together. You will then share a common riding experience to reference and she will have experience controlling a bike which may make your shared riding more comfortable and safe for you both.

a hui hou

Choke

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:10 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

The advanced MSF course held at a local college is structured with or without passengers. We (my wife and I) are planning on taking this course later in the year to learn what we are doing wrong. I have been fortunate to have had my wife on the back of just bout every motorcycle my dad and I have owned and she does very well. I think what helped the most was in college when she wanted to learn how to ride my Yamaha 650 twin and then understood about turning and balance, plus we have been 'together' for 30 years....

The MSF lists the following

Have the passenger follow these rules: [ul][*] Hold the operator's waist or hips. [*] Keep feet on the passenger footrests at all times, including stop points. [*] Keep hands and feet away from hot or moving parts. [*] Look over the rider's shoulder in the direction of turns and curves. [*] Avoid leaning or tuning around; make no sudden moves that might affect stability. [*] When crossing an obstacle, stand up (abrupt acceleration should be avoided).
[/ul]

Check out the below questions!!

http://www.msf-usa.org/CourseReview/Questionframe.htm

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:21 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Excellent advice above, the MSF course for her would be a good thing.

John TN

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:21 PM
chunks
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: scatterbrain

- your rear suspension may sag if you didn't add more spring preload (you'll want to adjust your suspension before riding two-up)
Is this even possible on a Fat Boy? (softail)

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:25 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

You can adjust the softtail suspension. Look in the owners manual or shop manual if you have one, I think this is the most over looked problem when riding two up or with extra weight on a trip for a bikes handling. I like a stiffer supension than most people, it really helps in the curves as well to keep from getting what I call the po-go effect, also you get better ground clearance.

John TN

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:34 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

All softails came with a nice adjusting wrench, but for some reason they get discarded... Your HD dealer will have a more 'basic' wrench for a couple of bucks and the trick is to find a good adjustment level... for when you are riding by yourself...

Old 07-08-2005 | 04:42 PM
chunks
|
Road Captain

I know its recommended to inflate the rear tire to 40 lbs if carrying a passenger. Is there a similar "standard" recommendation for suspention?

Old 07-08-2005 | 06:50 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

All softails came with a nice adjusting wrench, but for some reason they get discarded... Your HD dealer will have a more 'basic' wrench for a couple of bucks and the trick is to find a good adjustment level... for when you are riding by yourself...
I never got the wrench... [:@]

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-08-2005 | 06:55 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Are you friggin serious!! That sucks bigtime! Perhaps in a cost cutting move this expense was been removed from the 'freebies'... I would ask your HD GM and tell him that some of you buddies down in the states were given wrenches...
UNLESS, you have one of them there new fangeled air ride control system on your softail....
David

Old 07-08-2005 | 07:24 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

Are you friggin serious!! That sucks bigtime! Perhaps in a cost cutting move this expense was been removed from the 'freebies'... I would ask your HD GM and tell him that some of you buddies down in the states were given wrenches...
UNLESS, you have one of them there new fangeled air ride control system on your softail....
David
Nope, no air ride... hell, I didn't even know the rear suspension was adjustable til now!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: riding experience + passengers