General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good sleepin bag

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 06:59 PM
arrowslinger1980
|
Tourer
Default Good sleepin bag

Can anyone reccomend a good fart sack? Id like to find one that has 2 plastic d rings so i can hook it up to my luggage but i havent run across one. Id like one that is small but warm.

Old 06-28-2011 | 07:25 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

You can get a stuff sack that will have ways to help you strap it to your other stuff. Most decent sleeping bags will come with one.

Down sleeping bags pack smaller than synthetic ones, with the exception of super-expensive synthetic ones. They also will keep you warm if they get damp. Another option is to get a bivy sack that you could use a couple blankets with, but it won't pack smaller, just pack separately, which has its own advantages.

The market is full of good sleeping bags. Best way to shop is to decide how cold it will be where you'll use it (always shop for a bag rated for 10-20° lower than what you think you'll need), then decide what you can spend, then go to REI, Cabelas, or wherever and pick one out. Good bags to be found anywhere.

Sleeping bags, like anything in the world of "gear," are the kinds of things that you get what you pay for.

Old 06-28-2011 | 07:57 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master

Good advice above. When you mentioned the 2 plastic rings it made me think of the good old Oregon Bedroll (rather pricey though).

I sleep with Big Agnes myself (sleeping bad attaches to bottom -- very cool). Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:37 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

Might be hard to find just the kind and size you want with the D rings. But you could probably have a shoemaker or tailor sew a couple onto a bag you locate. Or perhaps one of those stretchy nets with hooks might work.

Old 06-28-2011 | 08:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by faber
...Down sleeping bags pack smaller than synthetic ones, with the exception of super-expensive synthetic ones. They also will keep you warm if they get damp....
You were on a roll, until you said down will keep you warm if it gets wet. NOT!

OP--For above-freezing temps I use a +20 degree synthetic bag and (orally) inflatable Thermorest mattress, inside a breathable, weather/mosquito-proof bivy sack (photo). The whole thing rolls up very small. If you can keep it dry, a down bag will pack a bit smaller, important if you prepare for colder temps (thicker bag). REI has an excellent selection and several sales each year, plus they rebate part of the purchase price (10%?) at year's end to members. Sleeping bag prices skyrocket when you demand the lightest and smallest packed size. Mummy bags pack smallest.

Attached Thumbnails Good sleepin bag-sequoia-6-11-11n.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011 | 09:10 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You were on a roll, until you said down will keep you warm if it gets wet. NOT!

OP--For above-freezing temps I use a +20 degree synthetic bag and (orally) inflatable Thermorest mattress, inside a breathable, weather/mosquito-proof bivy sack (photo). The whole thing rolls up very small. If you can keep it dry, a down bag will pack a bit smaller, important if you prepare for colder temps (thicker bag). REI has an excellent selection and several sales each year, plus they rebate part of the purchase price (10%?) at year's end to members. Sleeping bag prices skyrocket when you demand the lightest and smallest packed size. Mummy bags pack smallest.
I said damp, not wet.

For bike trips, I use a 20 year old North Face down bag that is +20° that packs small and still keeps me plenty warm, even if condensation soaks in a little on the outside.

For backcountry stuff, I use a -20° down bag and *always* use a bivy sack. Makes all the difference, even in winter and at altitude.

EDIT: I like the Thermarest stuff, too. Lasts forever and does the job.

Last edited by faber; 06-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2011 | 09:16 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of good bags out there. Over many years of backpacking I have come to like Marmot bags (current fave is the Helium model). I use a down-filled bag if I'm not likely to get wet, otherwise I'll use a synthetic-filled bag.

Then just get a waterproof, compressible sack. I can carry my 2-person tent, sleeping bag and pad in about a third of one saddlebag.

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:26 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master

Marmot makes a good bag. I use Big Agnes gear (tent/bag/pad). I like their bags because the pad integrates in so you don't spend all night sliding off the pad. my synth bag compresses down to about 6"x7". I use the cross mountain. Its a roomy bag and rated pretty true to temp and if it gets wet, it's no big deal. Plan on spending $200 and up for a decent bag and pad. If you use a compression sack, you can loop straps thru to mount it anywhere you wish on the bike

Bigagnes.com

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:37 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by faber
I said damp, not wet...
Sorry, but either way, it is common knowledge that down does not insulate well when damp or wet. But the synthetics retain some of their insulating qualities, even when damp. Or wet.

Old 06-28-2011 | 11:45 PM
arrowslinger1980
|
Tourer

good info. now on to worrying about the bears. eh, i can skin most anything!

Quick Reply: Good sleepin bag