General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New study into motorcycle gear by Australian University

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I read somewhere that physically fit young men fitted with helmets, body armor, gloves and boots still die in armored vehicles. Yeah am being smart aleck.

Motorcycling is a risk that one must decide where the balance of safety and comfort lay.
Smart aleck? I'd say yes, and asinine to compare riding to combat operations!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Curious? Why were you not wearing gloves? I see this sometimes and I just put it down to inexperienced rider. Don't think of you as being inexperienced---.
My choice, I don't like wearing gloves. Even fingerless gloves would have saved the skin on the back of my hands.
I've been riding since I was a kid, I'm now in my mid-40s. I still ride wearing jeans and a T-shirt, about the only change in my riding attire is that I usually wear boots now instead of sneakers. I did get lucky that night as it was getting cool out so I put my jacket on when I stopped for gas about 20 miles before the accident.
Old habits I guess. Yes, there may come a day when I wished I had more gear on.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The older I get, the more gear I seem to accumulate and wear. My last trip to Florida via New Orleans, I wore Slider's kevlar jeans, HD mesh armored jacket, Alpinstar mesh gloves, touring boots, and my Shoei Multitec helmet; as compared to my last trip to Tombstone I wore jeans and chaps, t-shirt, same gloves and boots and my HJC IS-33 (about half of the time). Of course I made it home safe and sound from both trips, but I also haven't won the lottery yet either.

I think there is some very high quality gear already out there that will survive a low speed get-off and probably much more, but it is usually quite pricey, too...so, to me, this study is a study of the already obvious.

Last edited by frontiercat; 06-30-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no sh8t sherlock

Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious. I thought you had been riding for awhile. I learned the glove lesson around 1964-65. I went down on a small metric street bike and got road rashed palms. Seen a buddy the same year get an ankle between the exhaust and road---burn on one side ---road rash on other. My riding attire always means boots and gloves no matter what else I am wearing or not wearing. Usually at least jeans and whatever t-shirt is on top of the pile. For the nannies that would take the last remark and turn it into a fashion thread---I wear what I want--you wear what you want.
Originally Posted by piasspj
My choice, I don't like wearing gloves. Even fingerless gloves would have saved the skin on the back of my hands.
I've been riding since I was a kid, I'm now in my mid-40s. I still ride wearing jeans and a T-shirt, about the only change in my riding attire is that I usually wear boots now instead of sneakers. I did get lucky that night as it was getting cool out so I put my jacket on when I stopped for gas about 20 miles before the accident.
Old habits I guess. Yes, there may come a day when I wished I had more gear on.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they needed to do a study to determine that wearing more protective gear results in less damage when you go down? wow who knew? you're saying my big leather boots offer more protection than my work shoes? amazing they must've used some advanced science on this study...

we know we just don't really care... i can wear a life-vest in my pool and a helmet in my car and it would help me out if the worst happened but i'm not about to do it.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the last couple of years I've become interested in what causes wrecks and how best to survive them. It seems that inexperience is a big contibutor to accidents. I don't need to worry about that. LOL. Obviously being under the influence. Then there is what other vehicle do. Seems a big problem is that they don't see us. For me fixing that issue was to add driving lights, a modulated headlight, and wear a white helmet. Yeh, I know you're all laughing at this point, but next time your on the road check out the color of helmets. They're nearly all black and you don't notice them. But a white helmet coming at you and you'll see it!

Then how to survive a crash. Over the years I have aquired numerous jackets (leather and textile), numerous sets of rain gear (always looking for something that will keep me dry, unsucessfully), various pairs of gloves, and several sets of chaps. They all work sort of. I've never been in a wreck to test them, but I do know that I have only recently found a combination that keeps me warm when its cool, cool when its warm, and dry when its wet. Motoport Kevlar

Last year I sprung for airmesh kevlar jeans. They look like jeans, are mesh kevlar, and I have a waterproof/breathable liner for them. They are touted as being equivalent to racing leathers in a crash but are way more comfortable, and just look like jeans. Then this year I bought an air mesh kevlar jacket with all of the same features plus an extra insulated liner that makes it all season. Now I feel bullet proof! LOL

Last edited by JakesDad1; 06-30-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"JakesDad1"
Last year I sprung for airmesh kevlar jeans. They look like jeans, are mesh kevlar, and I have a waterproof/breathable liner for them. They are touted as being equivalent to racing leathers in a crash but are way more comfortable, and just look like jeans. Then this year I bought an air mesh kevlar jacket with all of the same features plus an extra insulated liner that makes it all season. Now I feel bullet proof! LOL
lol is all right that stuff is great when sliding along the pavement, it when you hit something that it becomes useless, back in the late seventies I use to road race bikes I crashed twice, slid along burn some holes in my leathers, lost some skin but was ok. imho it when you hit that car or gaurd rail or tree that sh8t no help. or am I just stateing the obivous.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 AM
MAGNYS
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THIS JUST IN.........Not riding a motorcycle reduces the chance of getting injured on a motorcycle by 100%

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leather jacket, leather gloves, a carbon fiber/ Kevlar helmet and a pair of Justin work boots saved me from a lot of rash etc. when a drunk turned left in front of me. As for my opinion of the report, I think if you feel you have to wear a full face helmet, Kevlar jeans, armored gloves, armored shirt, armored knee pads, armored shoulder pads etc., maybe you should just sell the bike and buy a minivan.