General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideas for storing rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 10:25 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master
Default ideas for storing rain gear?

One of the only FIRM advices from a good trusted friend, was to not skimp on rain gear. Get the good stuff. As a result, it will be a bit thicker than some of the cheaper ones.

On my 04 FLSTCI i have the 2 saddle bags, but would really rather not use up one of them (or most of one of them) with just the rain gear.

One idea i had was to find a pouch that fits the gear and bungee it to the back side of my sissybar.

Ill probably end up either just using up my bag anyway, or maybe adding a rack on back fender and keeping it on there (which id rather not do)

Just wondering if by chance anyone has any creative way they handled this?

Thank you

EDIT, while your in here let me know if you have advice for gear. But ill do shopping for that also.

Old 06-28-2011 | 10:41 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

If there's room in your saddlebags, keep it there. When you run out of room, it's time to add more luggage. I use a T-Bag on the sissy-bar for the extra stuff, on multi-day trips. And even add a small leather backpack to that for my heavy fleece layers (where I ride temps sometimes drop 40 degrees, once the sun goes down). See photo of my hillbilly lash-up. Also have the HD Hi-Viz rain-suit, which is kinda bulky, w/ its' breathable liner, but it is so well made! It could fit in a smaller drawstring bag than the one it comes w/.

Attached Thumbnails ideas for storing rain gear?-yosemite-10n.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011 | 10:46 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by lo-rider
If there's room in your saddlebags, keep it there. When you run out of room, it's time to add more luggage. I use a T-Bag on the sissy-bar for the extra stuff, on multi-day trips. And even add a small leather backpack to that for my heavy fleece layers (where I ride temps sometimes drop 40 degrees, once the sun goes down). See photo of my hillbilly lash-up. Also have the HD Hi-Viz rain-suit, which is kinda bulky, w/ its' breathable liner, but it is so well made! It could fit in a smaller drawstring bag than the one it comes w/.
With that suit you have how much of your bag does it take up?

BTW i feel goofy even asking this since i havent done any trips over like 30 miles .. but i often run to different stores for my wife and that is my only time i get to ride, so i take the bike. So i need the bags to store the crap she wants me to pickup hahha

Old 06-28-2011 | 10:52 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Keep them in a saddlebag. I view saddlebags as a place to keep the stuff that stays on the bike all the time: rain gear, tools, spare bungees, sunscreen, etc.

If I'm traveling, I carry my clothing etc in in removeable luggage on the sissy bar/back seat/luggage rack. When I reach my destination, my luggage goes in with me, and the bike stuff stays with the bike.

Doing this leaves lots of extra space in the saddlebags that is available for groceries, beer, whatever I may pick up along the way.

In the winter time it also leaves space available in the saddlebags for shedding unwanted gear as the day warms up.

Old 06-28-2011 | 11:46 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I keep in in the lid of my Tourpack, you could make something in the lids of the saddlebags.
One thing that helps save space is to roll up the rain suit really tight and use a couple straps to keep it that way.

Old 06-28-2011 | 11:51 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

That's what saddlebags are for...If you didn't have any then you might view this differently. LOL

Drew

Old 06-28-2011 | 11:54 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

One thing that I do to keep the size as small as possible in at Lowes, they sell a long strip of velcro. 15 feet I think. I cut this into about 2 ft pieces and rool the pieces into 2 hotdog style and wrap them with the velcro. Does a great job of keeping them in order.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:05 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

I use the HD packable rainsuit, comes in it's own little bag. It fits in one saddlebag...along with chaps, gloves, mesh jacket and liner. Other bag carries the tool kit, and room enough for my lunch and my computer.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:08 PM
MattInFla
Road Master

I keep mine in a compression sack from the camping store. Much more compact that the drawstring bag it comes in. Fits nicely in a saddlebag.

Matt

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:17 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MattInFla
I keep mine in a compression sack from the camping store. Much more compact that the drawstring bag it comes in. Fits nicely in a saddlebag.

Matt
What he said.

Makes for a very small pack that should leave more room in the saddlebag.

Quick Reply: ideas for storing rain gear?