General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideas for storing rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:19 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I use the HD packable rainsuit, comes in it's own little bag. It fits in one saddlebag...along with chaps, gloves, mesh jacket and liner. Other bag carries the tool kit, and room enough for my lunch and my computer.
I have the 11VM Harley Hi-Vis rain gear. The drawstring bag is big enough that the gear, the rain gaiters, and the waterproof armored gloves all fit in there - and, yes, it does fit in the saddlebag.

OP - the way I suggest you look at it is that if you do any serious riding or are a daily rider, you will be better served to have it with you than lamenting that it is sitting in an accessory bag at home or on a shelf. As others have commented here, it is easier to have a collapsable T-bag or similar item that you can roll up and place in your saddlebag for your grocery items.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:27 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain

When I want to put on rain gear, I generally want to to it fast. Accessibility and safety are important to me. Mine goes in my right bag so I can pull over along the highway if necessary, dismount away from the road, and grab the gear to put it on. Like others have said, I use the bags for stuff that stays on the bag. Things that go in the hotel are in a t-bag mounted on a luggage rack or in the tour pack if I decide to put it on, which I tend to do only when traveling with a passenger.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:29 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I keep my rain gear(pants, jacket and gloves) in a rollup sack in my left saddlebag. It's always there in case I need it.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:31 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I carry mine in a saddlebag.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:56 PM
gregfri
Advanced

My wife and I each have a Harley rainsuit that rolls up into the hood of the jacket. I fit one into each storage compartment on my lower fairings. It is a bit of a tight fit to get them in and out, but it does work.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:59 PM
Biker's Friend
Former Sponsor

A Biker's Friend Bag can do the job and offer up some back support. Also, the Fender Guard Basic saves you from having to get a luggage rack.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/harleygallery.htm

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/fenderguard.htm

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:10 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

I had the same problem with my bike, but I don't have saddlebags. I only needed a place to put my rain jacket liner. So I got this from LeatherneckJim's (5"x14") and tie it to my handlebars. Works perfect. Probably wouldn't work with a full rain suit though.

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:46 PM
dools103
Advanced

If you have one of theose food saver machines make a bag then make that gear as small as you can and vacuum seal it, it will shrink up to half the size or smaller

Old 06-28-2011 | 03:15 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by piasspj
One thing that helps save space is to roll up the rain suit really tight and use a couple straps to keep it that way.
+1. I have the Harley Overpass II rain gear in 4X....Trust me it's bulky. I roll it up tight and use a couple elastic straps with Velcro tabs on each end that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes to keep it tight and it stows just about anyplace without taking up too much room.

When on a trip I keep it in the rear fender with my bedroll so it's easy to get to if I need it. It's not like it's gonna come apart if it gets dirty or wet, that's what they are designed to be subjected to.

Old 06-28-2011 | 04:03 PM
dcgray2
Tourer

I have only done local-ish type runs so I have for now "skimped" on the rain gear and am using the $40 coleman suit.

It comes in its own little bag that is quite small (and quite a pain to get back in).

I don't have saddlebags and don't want them, so I keep it bungied to either my solo rack or my backrest rack.

Works for me so far.

Quick Reply: ideas for storing rain gear?