General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guam riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM
Advm1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guam riders

How many on here?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that.

1996-1998

Hot, humid, and roads slick as snot after rain.

Roads down at the south end much more fun for riding though.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Never rode a bike there. Drove the crap out of 15ton and Deuce and half trucks though. I'd have to say with the coral in the roads I'd be careful in the rain like Mike M said, they get slick as snot in the rain. Also watch out for the earth quakes. I drove through a handful of them but couldn't feel it in the big trucks, but a bike could be a different story. I was there in '97 I think and parts of '99, actually was there when my enlistment ended, so I only did 4 months or so of that deployment.

Also was there when Korean flight 801 crashed which was about a week before we were set to fly back to Gulfport, MS. I was on a crew putting up the morge tent while they started bringing in the bodies. So we got to see that devestation and then hop on a 22 hour flight days later.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Hafa Adai, Been there 1980-2000, Great dirt bike riding, Sport fishing, Diving, and
Friendly Locals.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Hafa Adai, Been there 1980-2000, Great dirt bike riding, Sport fishing, Diving, and
Friendly Locals.
I think the older locals who remember the Japanese occupation are a little more friendly then the current generation. Within a week of first being there a younger local broke a beer bottle across a guy in my unit's face, giving him a nice 3 inch scar from cheak to just under his nose. All he did was come out the bath room at a bar and get ambushed. He was about as friendly a guy as you'd meet, almost to the point of irritatingly friendly.

Now the older ones would have a yearly party for us, I recall going to one of them and it was really cool.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
lildee
Tourer

Hafa Adai ADVM1...I'm a chamorita originally from Guam and although I get homesick all the time, I don't think I could ride in that heat nor deal with all those red lights...lol

Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Dan28, about your shipmate getting hit with a beer bottle, he's at a bar, those thing happen at bars, maybe he was mistaken for somebody else, who knows. When I said friendly locals, I meant, friendly local women, Guam has the prettiest Chamoritas
(Chamarro Women). Hafa! Lildee, nice bike!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hafa Adai:
I was in Tinian for the last three weeks and I am in Siapan till Friday morning, then flying home through Tokyo. I will be home July 1

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fiance' is Chamoru(half anyway).....but I don't think you meant that kind of rider.

I've been with her 3 years, we have talked about visiting, she really wants me to see the island.......but jobs, life, ect keep getting in the way of taking a trip.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:56 AM
lildee
Tourer

Thanks Dan28! Hafa Adai....My bike sure doesn't like to go 35mph and if I was on guam it would probably pull me around the island! hahaha

Nopetrol: It's definitely somewhere you should visit (although exceptionally expensive just to fly there). Kinda funny, noticed you're in nj, my husband is from Jersey.... He really enjoyed the 2 weeks we spent on Guam and if it wasn't for healthcare being wacky on Guam, we would probably move. If she has some "family" there, the hospitality is something you would never experience anywhere else. I have an exceptionally large chamorro family (both my parents are chamorro)....and when we party, it's ISLAND STYLE! - even if that means getting all the cousins together, picking up a bucket of chicken and relaxing at the beach....Island Style means: bbq or beach + beers (and island reggae music)! hahahaha Hope you get to visit soon!

Quick Reply: Guam riders