General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guam riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there about 12 years ago. I remember visiting the worlds largest Kmart and seeing an entire isle of different kinds of Spam. Is the Jamaica bar and grill still there?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Dan28, about your shipmate getting hit with a beer bottle, he's at a bar, those thing happen at bars, maybe he was mistaken for somebody else, who knows. When I said friendly locals, I meant, friendly local women, Guam has the prettiest Chamoritas
(Chamarro Women). Hafa! Lildee, nice bike!
Can he really be a shipmate if we never went on ships? we flew to all our deployments.
I guess I made that sound like the peeps weren't friendly. Other than the bottle incident and some people permanently stationed there complaining their kids got hastled a lot at school, that was pretty much it. That kind of stuff can happen anywhere. I really just meant that I thought the older peeps were the ones who I witnessed to be really friendly.

Now as to the women... Had quite the "education" from a pair of Korean tourists while there, so no complaints there.

Originally Posted by lildee
Thanks Dan28! Hafa Adai....My bike sure doesn't like to go 35mph and if I was on guam it would probably pull me around the island! hahaha
I forgot about the speed limits. Yeah that would suck on a bike. I didnt get over on the east side of the island too much, so don't remember if the speed limit picked up over there. Mainly on the west side but lived at the north and south. I did have a mountain bike (bicycle) I rode around in the heat then. Was probably in the beat physical shape of my life at that time.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,119 Likes on 357 Posts

Jus' throwin' this uot there, I don't know if any real Guamanians will look at this, but anyone by chance know an Ed(dy) Grulla or a Mike Mason???

They were form Guam, and we were in the 1/509th over in Italy together...78-80..

Great folks...

Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Marine Drive has a speed limit of 45mph south of Cabras down to Naval Station, (everybody drives about 60 though there). Around the southern half of the Island is a really beautiful scenic twisty ride with a couple of nice small villages that you go through (speeds 45-55). I ridden around the south loop cutting across Cross Island Road a million times on my Evo Heritage. The southern village fiestas, (and the southern girls) that are greatest!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I was there about 12 years ago. I remember visiting the worlds largest Kmart and seeing an entire isle of different kinds of Spam. Is the Jamaica bar and grill still there?
Actually 2 Jamaican Grills now. I have been visiting/working in and out of Guam since '87 and lived there 94-98. I have never been brave enough to ride there with the maniac drivers, oppressive heat and slick roads. Hell, I am scared driving my Jeep Cherokee there.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stationed there '65-'67. Naval Air Station in Agana, Guam. Attached to VW-1 Squadron. Most every one stationed there thought it sucked big time including me. We had detachments in Sangley Point, P.I and Chu Lai. Both of these were better liberty. In regards to OP never rode a bike on the island but had a old beat up '52 Ford we drove around in.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
mccalljv
Cruiser

Living here for another year... Roads are very slick and filled with potholes. The limit is 35 or 45 but no one really pays attention unless there's a speed trap.

From my experience there seems to be two camps of locals, those that don't like the military and act upon it(normally younger tuff guy wannabes) and the slightly older generation that have served themselves and appreciate the military.

The best advice for the locals as with most everything, be respectful and you'll be respected. Once you break down the barrier they will treat you like family, which is awesome.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
showardell
Novice
Default an old post but a new entry

I am a member of Guam Hogs MC as I was there 97-98 in the Navy. Great island, great people, good riding. As for the bottle in the face issue; never had a problem as I went out to meet the locals and on their grounds. Warm, loving and gentle folks. Would have stayed if not the the parents getting older. My wife & I were well excepted and got invited to family parties, like Sweet 16 parties & birthdays. I miss the island and we talk about it often. Hafa Dai...
We still make Chicken Kelaguen, Finadene and red rice. Yum!

Last edited by showardell; 03-27-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling