General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15K service done myself.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Tconnors810
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 15K service done myself.

Let me start by saying if I can do this anybody can. When I called my fiancé to tell her I was done, the only thing she said was “does it start?” So I’m no mechanic

I decided for a lot of reasons that I was going to do the services myself. The 15K was due and the plugs weren’t changed at the 10K so I figured I’d do the plugs and the wires along with the 15K service.

After some research I decided on the Fix My Hog DVD, very well explained and perfect for a guy like me, along with the service manual. I went with Mobile 1 15/50 for the engine and Formula + for the primary and the tranny. Seems to run quieter and shift smoother, easier to find neutral. The only thing that I didn’t do was adjust the clutch; it works how I like it so I didn’t see any reason to mess with it. I did have a buddy come over to help, he’s no more of a mechanic than I am, but it always helps to have a second pair of hands. The hardest part was changing the spark plug wires, total pain in the butt.

Total cost was $561 and it took about 4 hrs. total. But that includes the lift, dvds, manual, and lifetime supply of Loctite! The next services should be very cheap, under a $100 and much faster now that I’m comfortable with it and know what I’m doing.

Got some very good prices on some stuff but paid too much for others, overall I’m very happy with how it all turned out. The Harbor Freight lift was very stable, but you need the added wheel chuck and I would suggest someone with you to help put it on the lift. If anyone is thinking of doing it yourself, I’d say go for it!

Can someone tell me if the plugs look OK they have at least 10K on them. They seem OK to me but I really don’t know.

Harbor freight lift $279
Harbor freight wheel chuck $40.00
Fix my Hog DVD $55.00 (Christmas Present)
Service manual $48.00 (Christmas Present)
Loctite 5 stick pack $25.00
Brake parts cleaner $2.00
Screaming Eagle Plugs Wires $16
Screaming Eagle Plugs $13 (Probably a waste of money)
4 qtrs. 15 50 Mobile 1 $34.00
2 qtrs. Formula + $18
HD oil Filter $14
2 O-rings $2
Derby and Inspection cove gasket $15

15K service done myself.-service-1.jpg15K service done myself.-service-2.jpg15K service done myself.-service-3.jpg15K service done myself.-service-4.jpg

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Harleyriding77
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great feeling to work on your own bike isnt it? Yeah you may have spent alot due to not having everything you need but you have it now and it will be cheaper. You gonna love that lift. I a cheap bastage and I will work on my own crap UNLESS I feel that it is way over my head. As for buying that HD filter for $14, I use a Bosch 3330. Its $6.50 at my local autozone. I have been using them for years and no problems at all.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Good deal. Glad to hear you took this on and found out it really isnt over anyones head.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Those plugs look fine to me. Rusty, but fine ha ha. It feels good to do your own maintenance. I just did the 35k on mine this weekend. You ought to rethink the clutch adjustment. It's a regular maintenance item and it isn't hard to do. Just read the procedure in the manual and look over the areas on the bike that you will be working on. I've seen a few videos on Youtube that show what is involved as well. If you don't do it yourself, either you are going to have to pay someone else to do it or let it deteriorate until it becomes hard to shift.

There is no law that says all of the scheduled maintenance has to be done at the same time. That makes for quite a bit of work all at once. Do the clutch by itself, then next time you can do it together with the plug change and everything else. That way you can take your time.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Great feeling to do it yourself...Gets you more comfortable with your bike ...next time you do it it's like bonus...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job and its great knowing you saved paying a mechanic, and you get to know your bike a little better! Plugs look good, the whiter plug should be from the back cylinder because it usually burns hotter.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Tconnors810
Cruiser

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Those plugs look fine to me. Rusty, but fine ha ha. It feels good to do your own maintenance. I just did the 35k on mine this weekend. You ought to rethink the clutch adjustment. It's a regular maintenance item and it isn't hard to do. Just read the procedure in the manual and look over the areas on the bike that you will be working on. I've seen a few videos on Youtube that show what is involved as well. If you don't do it yourself, either you are going to have to pay someone else to do it or let it deteriorate until it becomes hard to shift.

There is no law that says all of the scheduled maintenance has to be done at the same time. That makes for quite a bit of work all at once. Do the clutch by itself, then next time you can do it together with the plug change and everything else. That way you can take your time.
My biggest concern in adjusting the clutch was that I couldn't find a clear explanation as to what that adjustment does. The service manual says to back it out 1/2 to 1 full turn. In the DVD it say the same and says it's "critical to how the cluck lever grabs". How does it work? The farther you turn the adjustment screw out causes which, the clutch to grab sooner or later?

Thanks
TC

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM
CaptainK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job but now youve cost me money.lol I have been wrenching on my on cars, trucks, boats, ATVS etc... for years and I don't jhave one of those lifts, yet

On edit: can you give me the item number for the lift? My local Harbor freight shows a lift with the wheel chock built it but it's $500.

Last edited by CaptainK; 06-27-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Tconnors810
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CaptainK
Good job but now youve cost me money.lol I have been wrenching on my on cars, trucks, boats, ATVS etc... for years and I don't jhave one of those lifts, yet

On edit: can you give me the item number for the lift? My local Harbor freight shows a lift with the wheel chock built it but it's $500.
You have to find a coupon SKU 91764 is the lift and SKU 96349 is the chock. I found the coupon in American Iron Magazine. I think it's in this months too, not sure about that though.

There are a few threads here on the lift, like everything here, opinions vary, but I'm very happy with it. Worked great, but the wheel chock that comes with the lift doesn't cut it in my opinion. You need to get a different chock, easy mod. I also used the crash bars to tie it down, it was rock solid, never worried about the stability on the lift. I would strongly suggest someone helping you getting it on and off the lift.

Word or caution on the wheel chock; set it to the lowest point, I think it would hit the back of my front fender if I left it in the middle as it was boxed
15K service done myself.-lift.jpg15K service done myself.-chock.jpg

Last edited by Tconnors810; 06-27-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my 10k still a bit conserned about not getting the service book stamped but i'm keeping record of all the work I do

Quick Reply: 15K service done myself.