General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about an Iron Butt Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thinking about an Iron Butt Ride

So, I got this wild hair idea that I might want to do an Iron Butt ride - 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

I've read the stuff on the Iron Butt website and it looks like I might have a buddy to go with me. Anyway, reason for the post is to ask if any of the folks here on the Forums have done it, and if so, would you be willing to share stories/tips?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
rdrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're enthusiastic about the ride and that's half the battle. Done this SS1000 several times so here's a couple common sense tips:

Follow the few simple rules as far as verification goes
Make sure the bike is in good running condition
Make sure you're in good running condition
Take rain gear
Good nights sleep
Start early (3-4am)
Rehydrate and small snack every tank fill up
Have Fun!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser

bike is in good running condition
you're in good running condition
Take rain gear<<<<<mine blew off and iwas not going to turn around n look4 it
Good nights sleep helps
Start early
Rehydrate and small snack every tank fill up
and keep on riding
watch out for thing that lurk in the night
be safe
enjoy

Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Route on the Interstate. Hopefully in states that have higher speed limits. Do it in seasons with lots of daylight - like now. It's actually not too tough to accomplish. As mentioned above, the verification is key.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
dcgray2
Tourer

I am also considering the 1000 mi in 24 hours Iron Butt.

You say to start early (3-4AM). Would your plan be to run straight through?

Based on my calculations and my bike (FB Lo), this looks like a good case scenario:

Total Distance 1000 mi
Actual Highway Speed 65 mph
Range 180 mi
Nbr of Stops 5 (not counting first stop)
Average Stop Time 15 mins
Total Time 16.63 hours

This would put me home around 8-9 PM. I figure the 15 minutes is time to get to a fuel stop, fill up the bike, take a leak, and eat a snack. I was planning on having all fuel stops pre-planned and doing a loop to get back to where I started.

Here is a google map of the route I am contemplating.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...52f9d71bf37249

Am I missing something?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,413 Likes on 624 Posts

I've done numerous SS1000's, and also done SS2000, Great Lakes 100, Lake Michigan 1000 and a Border to Border (Mexico to Canada in 36 hours).

Know your limits and don't be afraid to bail out. Better safe and ride another day.
Don't eat a heavy meal, eat light (bananas, Subway 6 inch, granola bars)
Make sure you get receipts. I number mine and write the mileage on each one.
Tunes if you got them.
For a SS1000; I get up early in the morning anyways, so I keep my normal schedule of going to bed the night before the same time and waking up the same time. Your body is already comfortable.
Don't worry about little things, stress can fatigue you.
If you don't have a GPS watch the gas signs; strong headwinds can kill your mpg.
Be safe and welcome to the Iron Butt community upon completion!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Good tips above. Would like to add, stuff some ear protection in your ears. For that many straight hours and miles, you sure can end up with some major ringing in them for a while after the ride.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always seem to want to post a reply in these Iron Butt threads for some reason. I find it interesting. I guess I can kinda see the interest in doing it and all, seeing as how the website says 'worlds toughest riders' or some such thing, I just can't see really wanting too and actually looking forward to it. The first time I did over 1000 miles in 24 hours was when I was 19. My GF had moved to Austin TX from Minneapolis. I was heartbroken. She called a week later and told my she couldn't live without me, so I threw some underwear, socks, t-shirts and a toothbrush into my saddle bags and rode down to Austin on my CB 350 Honda. A little over 1000 miles in about 23 hours. Wellsir, when I got there she had somehow figured out a way to do just fine without me! Sooo... I slept for 10 hours turned around and rode back, actually a little quicker. To make a long story just a little longer I rode the 1000+ miles in 24 hours bit a few more times in my 20's before I even HEARD about this 'Iron Butt Association' but every time I did it it was because I had{IMHO} a real good reason for doing it. I didn't realize I coulda got a certificate for it too!!!!
Any way, don't over think it, prep is all fine and good and all but if you are in reasonable shape Its really no big deal. The last time I did it was just a few years ago. I left Austin on my way to Phoenix thinking I was gonna stop in El Paso for the night. When I got there I felt fine and kept on going. I didn't really start getting tired till right about an hour before my driveway. I pulled in 20 some hours after I left, 53 years old, arthritic, fingers numb, REAL tired, a pretty good headache and a real sore ankle from where a rock had hit it outside of Tuscon. I really thought I deserved a certificate for that one! Oh well, maybe next time.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by dcgray2
Am I missing something?
You'll definitely be missing a view.

Imo, 65 and 90 blow. I've literally had to be paid to use them. 90 is a toll road, so you are paying to use it. If you are set on that route, better look up construction on 65. I've had to turn the car off and sit more than once due to some mystery stoppage on 65. Once past Gary (yuch) 90 moves along (if there is no construction) but God, is it boring. At least until you get just west of Pittsburg. And as difficult as it is, I try to avoid Indy highways too. Last year the construction on that bypass was horrible. I do not know about 40 so much.

It's your choice but from where you are at, I would head south at Dayton and at least experience some mountain riding. I don't have experience with these roads (I usually take 2 lane on the bike once in that area) but looking at it, I would investigate I-81, 77, 85, and build from there. I have been on 64 east of Louisville. It's not bad. Way better than 90 anyway.

It's fun to get that 1k under your belt, but it should be a memorable experience for reasons other than the accomplishment itself. Go somewhere scenic, enjoyable. Gary is not that.

Last edited by nevada72; 06-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great tips here! My $.02's worth
Ensure your bike is well ready
Rest up
Rain gear
a planned route. Know your stops in advance
Cell phone (just in case)
Sun block
Lip balm
Good tunes
Aleve
Plenty of water
Hi protein snacks..granola bars, fruit bars
Document all miles and stops with receipts w/date-time stamp VERY IMPORTANT!!
Enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: Thinking about an Iron Butt Ride