General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Plan

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011 | 09:28 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by babalu
statistically speaking extended warranties are almost always a bad bet. think about it, if the dealers lost a lot of money on them paying out engines and trannies they wouldn't be offered. most people pay and don't collect that is why they always try to scare you into getting one, it's a big money maker.
Ah but here's the difference with HD. The Moco knows it's selling the vast majority of warranties to 5000 miles a year and less customers. And yeah, they'll make money on those folks.

On the FEW serious riders they encounter, they may well lose. I know of no one that has run close to 100,000 miles that hasn't gone through a couple of charging systems, perhaps some headwork/valve work and certainly compensators on 07 and later models. ( Not to mention several busted crank customers,)

But you are right, it's all in the numbers, and if I drive alot of miles, I'll have the warranty because in Harley's case, it's a pretty safe bet that I'll get to use it..

Old 06-24-2011 | 10:05 PM
dedjr67
Road Master

It has been worth it to me already got 3 rear tires and 2 front and only costs me $4 for weights when they change tires.

Old 06-24-2011 | 10:06 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Nope.

Old 06-25-2011 | 12:12 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

I AM my Extended Warranty!
Take the 2500 bucks that the average joe pays (or should I say finances) for the extended warranty and put it in a savings account. Buy a service manual and get familiar with your bike! It ain't that difficult to work on. Anything major, use the 2500, anything minor use your stash money. You will be surprised to find out that at the end of your "warranty period" how much you will have left...and it's still YOUR money, not the MOCO's

Old 06-25-2011 | 04:06 AM
Azpostal
Novice

Well I paid $1699 for 7years including wheels and tires. I think its worth it to me for piece of mind is anything happens I'm covered!

Old 06-25-2011 | 05:57 AM
haak30
|
Tourer

I have 27K on my 09 Train (bought in Aug 09 new). I already have had a new trip meter switch, Tranny gears and a Primary bearing put in the bike, (did that at 17K). I do alot of my own work on the bike, but it was nice having the warranty when the Tranny and Primary went out.
How do they warranty tires?

Old 06-25-2011 | 06:15 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DZLDR
I AM my Extended Warranty!
Take the 2500 bucks that the average joe pays (or should I say finances) for the extended warranty and put it in a savings account. Buy a service manual and get familiar with your bike! It ain't that difficult to work on. Anything major, use the 2500, anything minor use your stash money. You will be surprised to find out that at the end of your "warranty period" how much you will have left...and it's still YOUR money, not the MOCO's
This is a great idea unless you ride your bike away from home. I've got a ton of tools in my garage that are absolutely worthless when it's 10 at night on a Saturday and I'm 2,000 miles from home.

In fact, if you're one of those guys who gets a new bike every few years, only does local rides, or does 2,000 miles a year, the ESP isn't worth it.

For me, it was a no-brainer. In the 19 months since I bought the bike, I've ridden 38,000 miles, been all over the country, and worn out two compensators, an inner primary bearing, a clutch, a stereo, an IDS pulley, and some other little stuff. I'm still under the factory 2-year warranty, but if stuff's already breaking....

My 7-year ESP with tire & wheel coverage was right around $1,450, which (even though I paid cash for it) works out to a little over $17/month for the coverage. It's paid for itself already in tires and towing reimbursement. Given the way I ride, at the end of the 7 years I'll have over 200,000 miles on the bike. If anything happens between now and then, not only are the repairs covered, but so is my towing, and motel room if the repair takes more than a day.

Old 06-25-2011 | 06:38 AM
blueridge
Tourer

To the post above:

when you got your extend warranty...does it come with years AND mileage limitation? You say you will have 200k miles at warranty exp date...

I normally do not nuy new stuff...I CAN save $$ getting used stuff if you price it right and be level about buying. Its those new vehicles that you PAY alot of $$ for.

In my case...I bought a new Hona 2006 and had a hard time deciding but I qwent ahead with a extend warranty but I haggled because they offered an ADDITIONAL warranty of 2 years for like $1600...and I knew I could get the warranty from outside for a little cheaper. I got them to throw in another year for that price. Just after my original warranty expired I was vacationing in Outer Banks with family and my Honda took a crap on me...NOTHING WILL MOVE...flywheel dead. Towed to Currituck, NC Honda dealer and they found with me using AC...a plastic tube broke and water seeped into the computer chip module and shorted out all the crap electronics. I had to pay for the cracked tube but other than that the warranty picked it up the replacement of the computer chip... I got the tab for the repair but was covered under warranty and the cost? $2,100 bux...

Wife's Honda 2002 she (bought new) got extend warranty and went for oil change and the guy drove in the garage and he said "sounds like a bearing issue or something...and they checke dit out and replaced under warranty...bill was $18xx.xx something...forgot what we paid for the extend warranty.

I say if you ride 25k miles a year...warranty is cheap insurance. If you ride 3k miles a year...save $2k and put aside for repair should you need it and repair IS $2k...

Also if you are living pay check to pay check...you'd have a hard time getting your steel horse on the road unless you put the repair on cc. BTW...if you are flush with cash and can save up money for repair...for example...not buying the warranty and save up $5K in one year for emergency cash...why the hell have you not paid off your bike note?

Everyone's different...but it looks like they do work in some situations. If I do not depend on my bike for DAILY transportation...and the bike potentially causes me problems well beyond the initial first few years...I would not get warranty otherwise...it is a toss-up.

Another question...can you guys get a Harley Warranty from an outsider warantee company like you do with cars? Just curious...

Old 06-25-2011 | 06:58 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Just like the original 2-year warranty, the ESP is unlimited-mileage.

Old 06-25-2011 | 04:11 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Like most have said, if you actually ride and are often many miles from home it's most likely a great idea. I broke even on mine ew last week. Still have nearly 4 yrs left. It also covers room and food as well as towing. If you ride mainly local the room and food is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Plan