General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer_nd
they cost $20 at harbor freight. why not buy one?
Has zero to do with money and more about hearing opinions and learning something.

Thanks everyone.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Torque specs are deceptive. Part of the issue is when covers start to warp because they were overtorqued and then didn't seal right. When A bike is cold, it has different characteristics than when it's hot. A torque wrench will help you tighten to proper specs for the bolt and the expansion as things heat up. I would definitely say yes.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Has zero to do with money...
Actually it has everything to do w/ money. Otherwise there wouldn't need to be a bunch of justification; everybody would already have a good one. It's all about the money, when it comes down to a choice of a Snap-On, an HF, or none.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're gonna get a torque wrench then you might as well get a good one because your life and/or the life of your passenger may depend on a properly torqued fastener. JMO

Old 06-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I definately wouldn't assemble anything involving a gasket or a bearing and not use torque specs, but then again I also assume the engineers that designed the thing know a little more about it than I do. I don't think they give torque specs simply for the heck of it or to confuse the guy working on the bike. I think they list them for a reason. At any rate, I torque to whatever they say. If there is a range, I try to tighten it to the midpoint of the range. Silly me, I also follow the tightning sequence if they list one.

Assuming these engineers know what they are doing? They have yet to fix the moisture problem in all the speedos and fuel gauges! How many years have they had to fix this problem? IMO its kinda embarrasing.

But seriously use a torque wrench!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Actually it has everything to do w/ money. Otherwise there wouldn't need to be a bunch of justification; everybody would already have a good one. It's all about the money, when it comes down to a choice of a Snap-On, an HF, or none.
There are plenty of options besides just Snap-on and HF.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

C'mon man. If you're gonna be doing your own wrenching, at least get the right tools. Yes, you need a torque wrench.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
There are plenty of options besides just Snap-on and HF.
Really wasn't trying to submit these as the only options, just the opposite ends of the $ scale.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,036 Likes on 4,222 Posts

Just my opinion but the smaller stuff with gaskets between the covers and in aluminum you do not as long as you do it in the correct sequence and recheck later. With locktite you do not re torque. However things like clutch hub nut, compensator sprockets, drive pulley bolts, brake rotors anything critical should be torqued. I seldom us my inch pound wrench but the 250 one gets used. Softails do not vibrate, so they are less prone to loosen fasteners. Dodged my friends Roadking horn cover. However my other friends Softail fiberglass bag brace broke and dropped down and that startled me.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
LOL... I'm simply asking about whether or not the torque specs and stuff are really important or if it's overkill. You know, kinda like asking if you really need to change your oil after every 5,000 miles and how some people think it's not needed that often (or even more often.)

I'm not made of money, but $100 for a wrench isn't out of the realm of things I can buy.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a torque wrench?