General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

It depends on how much experience you have tightening fasteners. If you've been turning wrenches your whole life then in most cases you probably wouldn't need a torque wrench.

I have several torque wrenches in various ranges but only use them on occasion. 99% of the time I don't use them.

The last time I stripped a bolt from overtightening it was about 40 years ago when I was a learning teenager. The last time I had a problem on my bike from a fastener that I did not tighten adequately was - ummm - never!

I think the real answer is - who is turning the wrench?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above post. I assembled my entire bike, motor and transmission and torque wrench be damned. Considering shovels are known to shake bolts loose not to mention it's a rigid I ain't lost nuthin yet. Good n' tite seems to work for me.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Heck no.

A small pipe wrench and a pair of vice grips will do.
don't forget a cheater pipe too...... can't get things too tight.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2black1s
It depends on how much experience you have tightening fasteners. If you've been turning wrenches your whole life then in most cases you probably wouldn't need a torque wrench.

I have several torque wrenches in various ranges but only use them on occasion. 99% of the time I don't use them.

The last time I stripped a bolt from overtightening it was about 40 years ago when I was a learning teenager. The last time I had a problem on my bike from a fastener that I did not tighten adequately was - ummm - never!

Good advise, I'd listen to this one. Too loose n it will come out. Too tight you can strip the head trying to take it off.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

post of the day, spot on. I've been turning wrenches professionally for over 10 years, it really does matter who is turning the wrench.

and do yourself a favor, stay the f away from Harbor Freight if you are looking for a torque wrench. i will never understand those who preach torque specs, then, in the same sentence say they picked up their torque wrench for $20. Our Snap-On guy has a torque meter to test torque wrenches and it is not uncommon for the cheapies to be wayyyy off. JMO though.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you need one. No, they're not hard to use.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,364 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I know the instructions from HD for just about everything list torque specs for most fasteners, but just how important is this? I can't imagine it being super important, but maybe I'm wrong?

Chris
I've found that the ones you least expect it to matter are the times I should have used one. On a previous bike I replaced the clutch, and the bolts thst went through the clutch pack only spec'd at 7nm. I just tightened them down with a 3/8 ratchet. Turns out that 7nm is not much more than finger tight, and the bolts stretched, and sometime later the head snapped off one of them. That's when I decided I needed one.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member

No man, don't waste your $$$ Just tighten the bolt until you here the snap, then back off 1/2 turn

Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

another 30 yr vet couldn't agree more..

i torque, rods, mains, hds and valve bodys.. everything else is pretty much feel..

Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't think this important purchase will bankrupt you. In fact, it could save you a fortune...and your life! This is the little one in inch pounds. 3/8" & 1/2 drive wrenches also available.

Harbor Freight:

1/4" Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench

Item # 2696 Manufacturer: Pittsburgh

1/4" torque wrench provides a range from 20 inch pounds to 200 inch pounds

Sale: $19.99

Qty:

Shipping
View Flat Shipping Rates
Economy Ground & Express Shipping available.
(Exclusions may apply)

Availability: In stock
Leaves the warehouse in 1-2 business days

Read 5 Reviews
Write a Review

Customer Rating:

Description of Pittsburgh 2696
Utilizing a heavy duty cam and pawl mechanism, this reversible 1/4" drive click stop torque wrench is the go-to tool when precise torque is needed. The click-stop wrench design provides a torque range from 20 to 200 in. lbs. and is accurate to within +/- 4% .
  • Heavy duty cam and pawl mechanism
  • Torque range: 20 to 200 in. lbs.
  • Reversible
Length: 11" Shipping Weight: 1.95 lbs.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a torque wrench?