General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO, This Is MY LANE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NO, This Is MY LANE!

In order, here are the worst kind of drivers I've encountered in D.C. since I got my bike in August:

- people talking on the phone...completely oblivious to whatever is going on outside...they don't respond to honks or anything friendly gesture
- diplomatic cars that don't stop at 4-way intersections, cut into my line all the effin time out of the blue and turn right at a red light when it says "No Right Turn On Red"
- taxi drivers...who not only change lanes every 2 seconds without turn signals, cut into my lane every 2 seconds without turn signals, almost push me out of my lane and then insult you when honk!

Sorry, had a stressful ride to work

Vincent

Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

No different than any other road. Drivers have tunnel vision. Accept the fact that the drivers are trying to kill you.
Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

shoulda kicked in their door

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok....when I ride,or should I say everytime I ride, I exspect some cager to do something to **** me off....
Last Monday I had a Doctors appointment in a town about 30 miles away, In one 5 mile section I had 3 differant cages trying to use my lane....
At this point I'm getting pretty pissed, If it was not for GF on the back, I would of followed this one Fat puke and beat his ***....
1 incident per ride I can handle, butt multiple....Kinda gets to ya....
And people wonder, why don't we smile, why do we have an attitude, why are we Grumpy....Maybe because cagers are trying to kill us....!!
Ok i'm done....have a nice ride....LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I DO remember those D.C. Taxis!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by will2002
I DO remember those D.C. Taxis!
Lol! Maybe not your best memory of D.C.!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i consider the drivers around DC as wannabe-murderers

i had one guy right on my back tire at 70 on the HOV southbound across the potomac - so I moved to the left of my lane (fast lane) so I had a place to go if traffic slammed on brakes at the pentagon (usually...) - he just moved up right next to me at 70mph and ignored me screaming in his window .....

....then coming northbound on HOV a few months later, not rush hour, guy was driving a pickup very aggressive and wanted to get passed me and a few other cars - so he cuts to the slow lane between two cars, moves up next to me, and just pushes me off the highway (going about 80). I yield, brake, and move in behind him and indicate in no uncertain terms that if he'll pull over I'll be happy to cave his skull in - he flips me off, cuts between the remaining two cars, and floors it

yep, the only job you have out there is to get from start to finish upright and alive... DC traffic = no fun at all

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent,
you need to really be aware and not in a sport bike way, be aggressive. I use the left lane and I treat EVERY car around as if its coming over at me. Oh, they have!
Basically around here we get two kinds of rides. The beautifull GW Parkway cruising next to the potomac while watching the monuments and boats go buy or the death race 2000 in traffic.
The latter is worth it for the former : )

Be safe and keep watching out for the morons out there.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dortiz
Vincent,
you need to really be aware and not in a sport bike way, be aggressive. I use the left lane and I treat EVERY car around as if its coming over at me. Oh, they have!
Basically around here we get two kinds of rides. The beautifull GW Parkway cruising next to the potomac while watching the monuments and boats go buy or the death race 2000 in traffic.
The latter is worth it for the former : )

Be safe and keep watching out for the morons out there.
I love that parkway!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Be careful out there. There's an incident everyday for me whether I'm riding or in my cage. Sometimes you feel like your the only one that knows how to drive! But on the bike, it can get to you a lot more. Instead of a fender bender in a cage, it's your life. Ride defensively. Expect them to do it, and never trap yourself. Ride safe!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: NO, This Is MY LANE!