General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start on a small or big bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start on a small or big bike

Im sure there are strong feelings either way, just interested in what others have done.

When getting my first bike, I knew I wanted a Harley, I just like the look better than any other brand. but I decided to get a larger bike, Fat Boy Lo. I didnt want to get smaller bike and out grow it quickly. I figured get the bike I want and start out slow instead of getting a smaller bike and upgrade at a later date.

I Took the MSF BRC, than rode my bike around my neigherhood getting used to riding at slow speeds and turns. Took my time getting used to the bike before I took it on the road.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Start out at 6 years old riding the dirt, do that for 10 years, then move to street and continue riding until you are old, grey and bald.

It worked for me.

Show me someone that grew up riding on the dirt and I will show you a more rounded street bike rider.

Last edited by Jonesee; 06-22-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
mikedero
Cruiser

My first ever bike right out of the riders edge program was my 2002 fatboy, I never regretted starting on a smaller bike. T. I found it easier to handle the fatboy then it was the smaller bike.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode as a teen and started again about 10 years ago. I bought a used Honda 550 cc Interceptor, very easy to ride, paid $1000 for it, rode it 1 year sold it for $1800. I then bought a used Honda 750 Shadow for $4500, rode it one year, sold it for $4300. In 2004 I bought a new 1200cc Sportster. I have seen riders at the MSF course who used to ride and start over with an Electra Glide and they looked scared to death. I guess everyone has an opinion, but I would still recommend learning the way I did it. Start with a bike that's easy to ride and move up in cc's and size.

Last edited by barjbar; 06-22-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I work with a guy that just bought a Road King. His first bike. He is going through the course, but I am worried about him. Seems OK so far but..........
Go big or go home I guess.
MikeM

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends.

Did one ride a dirt bike as a kid.

Does one know how to drive/driven a manual trans car before getting on a bike. Not being able to work throttle/clutch can cause on to lose control.

Is one big/strong enough to handle the weight to make up for the lack of skills a beginner has.

It's one thing to afford the bike you want.

It's another thing to afford to pay to fix the bike after each time you drop it as you are still learning and make the monthly payments at the same time.

Buy want you want and can afford. Sometimes they are the same bike, sometimes not.

Always better to pay cash instead of a loan.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Default Msf

when I took the MSF course i used one of their 250cc crotch rockets...the first bike that I learned on was a dirt bike, only rode it a few times...I was in Afghanistan...so there were more dangers than just crashing the bike...

Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out on a sportster and was glad I did. The smaller bike let me gain skill and confidence fast. When I traded in for a Road King it felt like I took a big step backwards with my skill and confidence. I quickly got the feel for the bigger bike but the smaller bike gave me a good base to build on. It was interesting how many people told me it was a good idea to start on a smaller bike, then move up. They said too many people start out on a bike too big for them and can be intimidated and either not have the confidence to develop the skills needed or just quit riding. Thats great its working for you.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
mikedero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by barjbar
I rode as a teen and started again about 10 years ago. I bought a used Honda 550 cc Interceptor, very easy to ride, paid $1000 for it, rode it 1 year sold it for $1800. I then bought a used Honda 750 Shadow for $4500, rode it one year, sold it for $4300. In 2004 I bought a new 1200cc Sportster. I have seen riders at the MSF course who used to ride and start over with an Electra Glide and they looked scared to death. I guess everyone has an opinion, but I would still recommend learning the way I did it. Start with a bike that's easy to ride and move up in cc's and size.
I disagree to many people get hung up on CC's. I never rode a street bike before dirt bikes as a kid and last year right after getting my endorsement I bought my fatboy. Since then 5500 miles later and no issues and getting better each and everytime out even went to Gettysburg on the bike from CT.

Depends on your skill set and or size the small bikes you mentioned I would not fit on them being 6 foot 3 and close to 300 pounds.

Each person is different I suggest telling a new rider do what you feel you should do. If you doubt yourself or feel you do not have the skills start small. But if you feel you can handle a larger one I suggest do not waste time or money and get the bike you want. I found it easier to handle and ride the fatboy then the Buel Blasts that the MSF class used

Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nice thing about starting on a used small bike is I could care less if I dropped it. It tipped over once in the garage, I don't even remember how. 2nd time I tried jumping on the bike from over the back like stunt men do horses. I cleared the back end all right but when I landed the bike bounced and I went over with the bike. Nice thing is I couldn't car less. Well at least I didn't break anything on the bike. But that's just one of the advantages of buying a used bike that's easy to ride. You don't have to worry about damaging it.

Last edited by barjbar; 06-22-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Start on a small or big bike