General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start on a small or big bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started on crotchrockets, my wife on the other hand got an 03 Night Train for her first bike. I tried to talk her into getting something small to start out on, like an older Jap bike, or a sportster, but nooooo..... she just had to have that Night Train (thanks to some of the guys pics on here lol!) She took the MSF course, and rides like a champ. Gotta love her! Lol!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Good choice starting on the woman's model. You do know that LO stands for Ladies Only right?

Last edited by piasspj; 06-23-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Start out at 6 years old riding the dirt, do that for 10 years, then move to street and continue riding until you are old, grey and bald.

It worked for me.

Show me someone that grew up riding on the dirt and I will show you a more rounded street bike rider.
Worked for me also. I was 10 before I saved the $500 bucks for my Yamaha MX 100. First street bike was 2003 Dyna Wide Glide because it is what "fit" me. (6'4" 235lbs). Added 2004 Texas Chopper, then a 07 Street Glide. Now down to only one the 2008 Glide in signature that is a good "mix" of the first three. Would not have been comfortable taking the safety course on a smaller bike that did not FIT me. Ya gotta be comfortable to be safe.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
jbrinkley0826
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first bike last week. I was going back and forth between a sportster and a bigger bike. Everyone I talked to said the same thing, skip the sportster, it will get old after two months....

Well, I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't a little scared when I thought about learning on a bigger bike, because I was. I had ridden a dirt bike a few times many years ago, but not enough to really say I rode dirt bikes. I've been on 3/4 wheelers all my life....

told a buddy of mine to keep his eye out for a harley for me, the next day he called me and told me we were going to look at a few bikes.... one was a 2005 dyna low rider and the other was a 2001 dyna wide glide.... I bought the wide glide and the guy followed me home after I bought it. it sit for one day.

I had my uncle take it to a parking lot so I could see how comfortable I was riding it, yes, I had my permit, and yes I wore a helmet. I took off and it all seemed very natural. I rode around about 20 minutes and told him I'd be fine. Been riding everyday since then and I love it.

by the way, I'm 6'1 and 170 lbs if my hair is wet....

I'm glad I skipped the sportster.. sorry for the long reply.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
N58TB
Advanced

I followed the same path as you...right down to the Fat Boy Lo.

Ordered the bike, took the course, got my license and took delivery of the new bike. Rode around the neighborhood for a day, then ventured out on the street to a big open parking lot to practice slow stuff and u-turns.

Just took my time and everything's going great. I did not want to move up through a series of bikes...I figured out what I wanted to ride and started with that.

My wife did the exact same thing on her 1200 custom...working out great for her as well.

The trick is not exceeding your limits...

Ride safe,

Greg

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

started riding with my older brothers at bout 3-4 yrs old in the dirt, raced motcross till I was bout 18-19, first street bike was a honda v65 sabre, first harley I ever rode was a electrglide standard, bout a '94 model, first harley I bought was a 2004 ultra classic (which I will own forever if I can), bought a 2008 crossbones, still have and hopefully always will.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM
LuckyIrish7
Advanced

It's a personal choice based on comfort level I suppose. I recently bought my first bike ever (a 2011 Ultra Classic) before I took the MSF Class. It sat in the garage until I had my endorsement. I was a bit nervous taking her out at first and stuck to the slow/low traffic areas until I felt more comfortable.

I was beginning to question whether I had bought more bike than I had anticipated, but after reading and searching the forums here I realized some changes were in order. Installed a super reduced reach seat and now the bike doesn't seem so intimidating.

Use your judgment and by all means trust your instincts.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Good choice starting on the woman's model. You do know that LO stands for Ladies Only right?
Wow! That's pretty rough

I started with a Shadow 750; 505#. Great bike, bought it for $3k and rode it 3 years, sold for $3,500.

I couldn't imagine just starting on the EGC, like 800#, unless you are well trained in that pick up your bike video

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Bob-n-Ohio
Cruiser

Interesting thread....I started with an ElectraGlide Classic after taking the Riders Edge course through the Harley dealership. It took awhile before I felt comfortable and confident that I could handle her and yes, I did drop it a couple of times while stopped, luckily the crash bars and rails around the bags protected her without a scratch!

Looking back I probably should have started with something a little smaller but I have logged many miles since then and love riding and always reference what I learned in the Riders Edge course. I suggest taking the course before you do anything!!!!!