General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?

Hey guys...I currently have a Daytona Skull Cap but would also like a full face helmet...

Any of you guys were a Shoei RF-1100 or a Shoei Qwest Helmet? What are your thoughts on those?

Thanks...

I currently ride a 2011 Street Bob. Only three weeks old. Taking things slow.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Shoei

I have the Shoei Rf-1100 and like it. Used to ride with a half-helmet and definitely prefer the FF: it is of course better protection but also reduces wind noise at higher speeds and allows me to ride without a windshield.

I ride in hot Florida and find the ventilation system very effective. Flip the visor up at lights and low speeds (25 mph or less).

Do some neck exercises like shrugs. After 100 miles or so at high speeds, your neck will start to get sore. I use my detachable windshield plus the helmet for long trips.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

I own a Qwest. Heard great things baout them, rave reviews, so I bought one. BAd choice. The thing whistles like crazy. Even sent it back to Shoei and they said it was fine and normal. Got it back, adn it still whistles like mad. Drove me so nuts, I only wore it for 2 days before I sent it back, and 2 days after I got it back. Now it just sits in he back room.

Can I interest you in a like new gloss black size L Qwest?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced

Thanks guys. I have heard that the Qwest has a little more wind noise than the 1100. Dang Mister that sucks the wind noise was so bad for you man.

I know about that wind noise some with my half-helmet. I am running stock pipes on this new 2011 Street Bob and anything over 40 mph I can't hear my engine very well at all. I may invest in some of those black ScreamingEagle slip on pipes. So I have no clue if I am red lining it or not. So I guess-timate. I need to get that owners manual out and see by the mph I am going when to change gears. I have only drove it on the street roads...Haven't done any HWY riding yet. Taking things real slow since I am first time rider.

Downshifting is easy cause it is in 10's (slow to 30 go to 3rd, slow to 20 go to 2nd). So yeah I am going to get me one of those Shoei 1100's. I actually wear XL on the half helmet so the L wouldn't do me much good Mister for the Qwest.

Thanks guys for replying. Will order one this Friday when I get paid.

Hey Mister what kind of helmet are you wearing now?

Last edited by rdowdy95; 06-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Dynamohm
Road Warrior
Received 748 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
I have the Shoei Rf-1100 and like it. Used to ride with a half-helmet and definitely prefer the FF: it is of course better protection but also reduces wind noise at higher speeds and allows me to ride without a windshield.

I ride in hot Florida and find the ventilation system very effective. Flip the visor up at lights and low speeds (25 mph or less).

Do some neck exercises like shrugs. After 100 miles or so at high speeds, your neck will start to get sore. I use my detachable windshield plus the helmet for long trips.
I also live in FL and use a RF 1100 it's great without the windshield very comfortable. I use a Shoei 3/4 helmet with the windshield on. I commute to work everyday on the highway they both do a great job.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

Don't get me wrong about the qwest; the wind noise was comparable ot all other helmets I've owned/own. It was a whistle, an annoying whistle that only went away if I looked up into teh sky. Problem is riding and looking into the sky I've bought 5 new lids this year (I think I have a helmet fetish), and the most expensive (Shoei) was teh worst.

I went back to Caberg helmets. Am currently running an Ego http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodl...New+%2A%2A+Ego and love it.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM
matt86m
Advanced

I wear an RF1100, it does whistle when the visor is up windshield or no windshield.

The thing I noticed is ventilation when riding with the windshield (RK w/stock windshield) when the visor is closed all the way it does fog up. I usually ride with it open 1 position which is ok, little louder than closed but not bad, no whistle in this position.

Other than that I like it

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Chief_M
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have worn a Shoei, check them out first. Shoei's are designed for a round head and if your head is oval a proper fitting Shoei make you head feel like it is in a vice, max pressure on forehead area. Arai makes good helmets for oval heads but can be big $, I am currently us a Scorpion EXO-900 SERIES mod which lets me decide which style I want to go and it seems to work for oval shaped heads also. I also like Shoei's but not knowing about the design caused great pain after a two day push. I had a hot spot and lump in the middle of my forehead that was real sensitive for several days, switched helmets problem solved.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced

Thanks guys. Yeah I have heard about the Shoei is for the more rounder heads, and the Arai is for the more oval heads.

I will have to find a place in North Texas that sells them both so I can try some on. I won't be dropping the big bucks unless I can't try them on first.

Anyone know where in North Texas McKinney, Allen, Frisco, or Plano TX that sells these helmets?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 394 Posts

I never heard of Qwest. I'd go for the Shoei. They make good lids.

Quick Reply: Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?