General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Here's a thought, there are no helmet laws in Texas, so If you live there, why the hell are you wearing a helmet in the first place?
If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Originally Posted by rdowdy95
Guys just want you all to know I finally have my SHOEI Quest Helmet and I love it. I have all vents on it open and the wind noise isn't bad at all. Of course I am coming from a Daytona Skull Cap Half-Helmet. The wind isn't bad at all. Going around 60-65 mph I hardly felt any blow back on the head. When I turned my head to look back I felt the wind, but other than that pretty good ride when I am wearing the helmet. It is a little snug in the cheeks, but the more I wear it the fit will conform more to my face. Also have the smoked shield. Now I just need to find a good way to clean the shield on it. Nice helmet though.
Good choice. I wear a Qwest as well. Everyone's experience with noise will differ based on many factors, but I've found the Qwest to be by far the quietest helmet I've ever worn (in 45+ years of riding). The RF1100 is also a fine helmet, but its vents were designed to be most effective with the rider's head in a forward (sport/racing bike) position, while the Qwest's vents were designed to be most effective with the rider in an upright, cruising position.

TKDKurt mentioned the Bell RS-1. Also a very fine helmet though a bit more expensive than the Qwest and arguably with a more luxurious interior, but its vents were also designed for the sport bike rider position. Also, it fits a somewhat narrower head shape than the Qwest. Bell's Transitions shield is killer.

Note also that the shapes of the RF1100 and the Qwest are not identical, with that of the Qwest being slightly more toward neutral/round.

Regardless, all are great choices, and all are 2010 Snell rated.

Oh, and the cheek pads will definitely wear in and become less snug. In the unlikely event that you have chipmunk cheeks and the pads continue to bother you, be aware that you can order thinner pads from Shoei. I'd give the helmet a while to break in first, however.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Not exactly the same model but really like mine. Quality helmet and adjustable interior. Mines xl but I run the xxl check pads(thinner) . Ventilation is pretty good but when it gets 90+ I just flip the visor all the way up at slower speeds. Need to remove my glasses to pull it on of course. Have a 3/4 and a non dot beenie. They are just gathering dust now. Do not fool myself thinking full face is much safer but everything helps. Least I know they will be able to take my permit and pull the visor up and say, yep that's him.

Attached Thumbnails Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?-safety-number-1.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full face is the safest helmet or at least the only one which will keep your face pretty.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer

For years, I've ridden, behind windshields, with Shoei full-face helmets with the face shield removed. This gives the extra protection for the facial area of a full-face helmet while allowing better facial ventilation. If it's raining or cold, I put the face shield on. With Shoei helmets, it quick and easy to install or remove the face shield.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
For years, I've ridden, behind windshields, with Shoei full-face helmets with the face shield removed. This gives the extra protection for the facial area of a full-face helmet while allowing better facial ventilation. If it's raining or cold, I put the face shield on. With Shoei helmets, it quick and easy to install or remove the face shield.
I do this as well when its very warm out although i don't use a windshield.
I get as much wind like that as no helmet at all minus the deafening wind noise. HJC makes some really nice Snell rated helmets as well for waaay less then Shoei or Arai. More cash doesn't mean better.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to let it break in for awhile to see how the cheeks adjust. I know I can order the slimmer cheek pads, but will wait several months to let it break in good.

Nice helmet, and I love that I can change the shield fast and easy.

Thanks for all the responses again.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a qwest, the wind noise doesn't bother me...if it did I wouldn't be on a motorcycle. But it also doesn't wistle like said, just wind. I've got two complaints with it though. ITs big. I mean BIG. Makes you look like that guy in SpaceBalls. No joke. Additionally the ventilation doesn't work well. I'll open and close the vents when on the freeway and I gotta say there is no difference.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride in a Shoei RF-1100 and it's not only comfortable, and with the front visor down, much less road noise.

I have a long oval head shape, 7 1/4 hat size and the large fits me perfectly.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
violentstreak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strongly recommend a quest for a Harley seating position. I wore Nolan's uP until I purchased this qwest and it is the most comfortable and quiet helmet I've ever owned.

As mentioned before, the qwest's vents are suited for a very upright position, depending on your seat and what kind of bars you have it will change the tilt of your head while you ride, so you will want to find the helmet that fits and vents best while you are riding I'm a tallish guy and my drag bars put me slightly forward, somehow the qwest ended up Just right, and eerily quiet.

As far as the noise goes, wind nOise is a non issue in the helmet (depending on head position) but I still wear earplugs as my short shots are loud as hell. Either way in this $300 price range you can't go wrong, they are all awesome, just don't buy a Nolan.

I don't care for a transition lense, shoeis 99% uv Protecting shield is a better trade off, no sunscreen for me, I have to wear glasses anyway and I would prefer polarized lenses.

As far as the removable liner goes, the top of your head won't sweat if you have hair in his helmet, and if it does a wet rag and some soap will work miracles, the cheek Pads are removable.

The helmet will fog, but there is a pinlock visor available and a pinlock visor will stop fog no matter what the temperature is. It does suck that it isn't included.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Guitar4Him
Tourer

I just bought RF-1100's for my wife and me. This is her first FF helmet in 25 years of riding. She's always worn a 3/4...I've always worn FF. I'm glad to get her switched over. I like knowing that her pretty face is protected. So far she really likes the helmet. We took the face shields off and keep them in a bag in the saddlebag. That's the way I've ridden for many years...just put the face shield on when it's raining or cold.

After getting the RF-1100's, I installed J&M Elite 629 HO headsets in each. Getting them installed was a challenge but the finished product is excellent. For the last year, we've been using the H-D Boom! headsets for intercom and music. The J&M Elites are a significant improvement as far as audio quality is concerned.

Before I bought the RF-1100's, I looked at the Quest series. While it's true that the Quest is a better design for an upright seating position, it's really irrelevant when you're behind a batwing and windshield. I have a 9.5" Clearview recurve and the airflow hits my helmet right where the vents are located. I've had a Shoei RF700 and a RF-900 and find the ventilation on the RF-1100 to be a little better than those. Not having the face shield on helps a lot with the ventilation as well. For me, the deal-maker between the Quest and the RF-1100 was that you can remove the entire lining on the RF-1100 and wash it. On the Quest, you can only remove the cheek pads. I've been using FF helmets for over 25 years and I can testify that they can get pretty funky inside during the summer when you're sweating a bunch. Being able to easily clean the entire liner is a big plus.

Quick Reply: Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?