General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a honda shop arouond LBJ and Greenville, forget the name but they do sells Shoei, and Arai I beleive. I did buy my Shoei 1000 a few years ago there. I am pretty sure they had Arai there also but out of my price range. Do like my Shoei, does have wind noise but with ear plugs it is OK.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced

Okay...Found a place called Cycle Gear where a friend of mine goes for stuff. There website sells Shoei and Arai so I am going to call the store and see if they have one I can try on in store. Then I will either order from online or get it at the store while I am there. Thanks guys.

Last edited by rdowdy95; 06-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

Originally Posted by Geoff
I never heard of Qwest. I'd go for the Shoei. They make good lids.
Qwest is a model of Shoei helmets

The sport touring version of the RF1100, and rated quieter than the RF.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rdowdy95
Hey guys...I currently have a Daytona Skull Cap but would also like a full face helmet...

Any of you guys were a Shoei RF-1100 or a Shoei Qwest Helmet? What are your thoughts on those?
Here's a thought, there are no helmet laws in Texas, so If you live there, why the hell are you wearing a helmet in the first place?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had never found a helmet I felt comfortable in until I got a Shoei. First, I bought the 3/4 RJ platinum. Maybe I am just a round head but the combination of shape and the ample padding makes for the first comfortable helmet I have ever owned. For cold days and long highway rides I bought the Shoei modular. I really like the full face coverage on the highway but still have the ability to pop it up at the gas station. No doubt they are pricey but in my case well worth it. Had an HJC before and hated it. The padding was totally inadequate. Your mileage may vary.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Another helmet to think about.

I have to ride with a full face helmet. I am a melanoma survivor, so have to be completely covered. Before buying, I did alot of research focusing mostly on ventilation. I did not want to be sweltering inside a FF. My research led me to the Bell RS-1 which is both DOT and Snell certified. It is moderately priced (cheaper than the Shoei RF-1100).

I have been riding with it for about a month now (about 1100 miles with it) and am VERY happy with it. The ventilation is great! I have been out in temperatures in the high 90's and it keeps me from sweating (as long as I'm moving). On top of that, the face shield system is excellent. I got the transitions shield which darkens as the sun gets brighter which isn't cheap, but keeps you from having to buy several face shields for varying light conditions. I highly recommend it.

There is a thorough video review of the RS-1 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjGrvPH_4o. I didn't buy it from Revzilla though, I got it from Motorcycle Superstore. I know you asked about Shoei, but thought I'd suggest another one you may want to think about.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
rdowdy95
Advanced

Guys just want you all to know I finally have my SHOEI Quest Helmet and I love it. I have all vents on it open and the wind noise isn't bad at all. Of course I am coming from a Daytona Skull Cap Half-Helmet. The wind isn't bad at all. Going around 60-65 mph I hardly felt any blow back on the head. When I turned my head to look back I felt the wind, but other than that pretty good ride when I am wearing the helmet. It is a little snug in the cheeks, but the more I wear it the fit will conform more to my face. Also have the smoked shield. Now I just need to find a good way to clean the shield on it. Nice helmet though.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM
rlggray
Tourer

Originally Posted by MisterPX
I own a Qwest. Heard great things baout them, rave reviews, so I bought one. BAd choice. The thing whistles like crazy. Even sent it back to Shoei and they said it was fine and normal. Got it back, adn it still whistles like mad. Drove me so nuts, I only wore it for 2 days before I sent it back, and 2 days after I got it back. Now it just sits in he back room.

Can I interest you in a like new gloss black size L Qwest?
How much?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rdowdy95, glad you are liking your new Qwest. I didn't see this thread the first time around, so I wasn't able to put in a good word for the Qwest helmet before you pulled the trigger. I don't get any whistling with a stock RKC windshield. Also, as far as fit, I have a more oblong than round head and the Shoei helmets actually fit me better than the Arai. You really have to try them all on before selecting one.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I just can't ride with a full face helmet. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm slightly claustrophopic. Elevators don't bother me, or small rooms or airplanes. But strap a bucket over my head that isolates 4 of the 5 senses from the outside world, and I can't tear it off my head fast enough. I can't stand it.

Quick Reply: Shoei Full Face RF-1100 or Qwest Helmet?