General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It would seem Harley buyers don't like skinny front tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

I've gone both ways and I'll stick to my 21" , trick with a skinny front is proper tire selection . I've never been a fan of dunlop tires and used to be their 21's handled like **** with all the problems listed so far in here . Switched to Avon's and there's a world of difference in overall handling and performance . I use all the chicken strip on the sidewalls cornering and it's rock solid , only time I ever problems was in the mud and loose sand . I had no business being out in the boonies on a big bike .

Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My mother is an oral surgeon. Yesterday I rode the bike over to the clinic to see if she wanted to have lunch. While there some of the doctors were looking at my bike and commented on the fatty tire (2011 XL1200C)

Here are the results:

4 out of 5 dentists prefer the skinny front tire

Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
My mother is an oral surgeon. Yesterday I rode the bike over to the clinic to see if she wanted to have lunch. While there some of the doctors were looking at my bike and commented on the fatty tire (2011 XL1200C)

Here are the results:

They were "looking at" your bike ... we need their opinion after having ridden it ... in the rain, over railroad tracks (at an angle), across bridge grating, in the mud and soft sand ... THEN let us know what "4 out of 5 dentists prefer" .... LMFAO

Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
11FXS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just bought an 11 Blackline and love the skinny front tire..I can see where some folks dont. My dad pointed out why he didnt like one on the front and tried and tried to get me to get one with a fatter tire was because for example road construction where they have grated the roads in prep for new pavement the groves could possibly cause some havoc with the really narrow front. Personally I love it and just pay attention when I am in one of those areas of what could be.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Default No problem here either....

I have the 21" skinny on my FXSTC and have not had any problems. Handles great and looks good as well. I cross RR tracks by my house all the time, though I fail to understand why you would want to cross them at an angle.

Now, you do have to be a little more weary of ruts in the road. Especially on some asphalt surfaces that are poorly maintained where old and newer sections meet. I have a notorious one by my work. But since I'm always scanning for pot holes and road kill anyway, it's not an increased effort. I also hate the groves they etch on some surfaces in preparation for resurfacing. They are not so much dangerous as annoying.

I have not yet ridden a Harley with the FL front end so I really can't make a comparison. I'll just keep riding the skinny until the day I get a Road King.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger

Here are the results:

Yeah right. You could have rode in on a Honda VTX and 4 out of 5 dentists would have sworn it was a Harley. Them and most women I know ... sorry ladies.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sorrel
I have the 21" skinny on my FXSTC and have not had any problems. Handles great and looks good as well. I cross RR tracks by my house all the time, though I fail to understand why you would want to cross them at an angle.

Now, you do have to be a little more weary of ruts in the road. Especially on some asphalt surfaces that are poorly maintained where old and newer sections meet. I have a notorious one by my work. But since I'm always scanning for pot holes and road kill anyway, it's not an increased effort. I also hate the groves they etch on some surfaces in preparation for resurfacing. They are not so much dangerous as annoying.

I have not yet ridden a Harley with the FL front end so I really can't make a comparison. I'll just keep riding the skinny until the day I get a Road King.
... sometimes railroads are not perpendicular to the road at the crossing ... i.e., they cross at an angle (other than 90 degrees) ... it makes them a little more dangerous when the tracks are wet/slippery ....

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
sandman2004
Cruiser

I have a skinny 21" on mine and I like it. In the mud over tracks and in the rain. I just take it easy.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode home late yesterday afternoon in a rain and wind storm on my 08 wide glide with no problems other than not being able to see! Ran through a sizeable water puddle and the 21 inch tire didnt even flinch. Also hit a squirrel at 45 miles per hour a few months back and barely felt it. Thin is in!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjo
Thin is in!
Oh, yeah!!

Quick Reply: It would seem Harley buyers don't like skinny front tires