General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterproof comfortable boots?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by camsmith
Love my Cruiserworks. Waterproof and I forget I have them on and when I called to order one of the OWNERS answered the phone and helped with sizing. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
+1. I would wear them all day at work when I rode the bike in. Very comfortable and waterproof. I've had mine for 9 years.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jthepipeguy38
Redwing lineman boots
Another red wing fan here. I have a couple of pair of riding boots and lace ups. All are completely waterproof and worth every penny I paid.
Pay attention though. I almost bought a pair of red wings that were made in china. Didn't notice til I got to the till. They were 50 bucks cheaper but when possible I like to spend my money keeping north Americans working. So I bought the more expensive made in the USA pair and couldn't be happier with them. 50 bucks is a small price to pay when peoples lives count on a simple decision like buying boots

Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
chas41
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bates boots are top notch in my opinion. Almost like wearing tennis shoes.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
I would like a zipper/lace boot, I think. Danner makes one called the Stryker 2, or you can add a lace-in zipper. What style do you use? I would like to buy American.
I picked up a pair of Rocky 8" Alpha Force this summer and they are the most comfortable for walking around that I have every had. Lace up with zipper and waterproof, but they are made in China. $100 can't go wrong. Can't say yet about lasting, but seems very well made with good heavy duty sole and very light.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
stuartb01
6th Gear
Default Waterproof boots

I wear 6" high Danner laced hiking boots, leather and gore-tex, and made in the USA. Cost about $175 but the most comfortable boots I've had in a long time and I've been wearing Uncle Sam's for over 27 years.

stu
'06 FXDI

Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

For those of you who bought Cruiserworks boots the past couple of years before their bankruptcy, and got the defective sole that cracked, and found out that the new company won't honor the guarantee from the previous company, I have a solution for you.

Go to the fabric section of Wal Mart and look for a glue product in a tube called E6000. A lot of us PGRiders use it to attach patches to our vests and it works great as a contact cement.

I took my two pair of Cruiserworks boots (one pair had been resoled, the other pair was new from the original company, both of which had cracked soles), bent back the soles, and filled the cracks with E6000, and just let the pressure of the boot squeeze it together. I let the glue dry for the entire 48 hours.

I've been wearing my old, resoled pair now to work now for two months, and the E6000 has held. It is very elastic and stretches and compresses without pulling loose. I'm now hoping I can get years of use out of my new ones before needing to send them in for resoling.

The E6000 glue sells for about $6.00 at our local WalMart.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

First off, there is no such thing as waterproof leather boots. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. At best you can make them water resistant, but you are on the clock at all times. By that I mean they will leak water, just a matter of time.

I've been hunting for well over 50 years and in my younger days I did my share of logging. I know leather boots and what they can and cannot do. If you are crossing rivers and streams and pretty much keeping them constantly wet AND If you treat them right, like no direct heat, a good quality leather conditioner and followed with a good boot wax you might get 3-4 hours out of them until your feet get wet.

I've got lots of work boots but these are by far my favorites. They are well over 20 years old.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

"By that I mean they will leak water, just a matter of time."

I bought my original pair in 2002. I treat them once a year with Cruiserworks Cream, and I have yet to get wet feet, and I put on 10,000 miles a year in all weather, including pouring rain. I have stood PGR flaglines in three inches of freezing slush, and never got a wet foot. To me, as a biker, that's waterproof.

However, if you want to stand in a bathtub full of water, or walk across streams, you can see here how they hold up compared to other boots.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...son/index.html

Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM
dvmweb
Tourer

Cruiserworks too. I've had mine for 4 years. All kinds of weather. I'm kind of fussy and keep them polished with their product, every few weeks. I wear them just about every day. One boot's sole separated a little after I dragged my toe. Didn't have time to send them back so used Shoe Goo, worked great. Don't know anything about the new owners.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of FXRG boots. Pretty comfortable, especially with the Superfeet insoles. However, the zipper pull on one boot already broke, as they did on a couple of other Chinese-made Harley boots I recently owned.

Quality going downhill fast. Also discovered my Red Wing MC boots were made in China. WTF?

Guess it's time to try Cruiserworks or similar...

Quick Reply: Waterproof comfortable boots?