General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Begginer bike for the OL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

this is my wife's honda ruckus, that's as big as it's going to get for her.

Attached Thumbnails Begginer bike for the OL?-img_0568.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F34R
Well, first off, I've received a lot of great advice on parts, part no., etc., from members thus far. I am now having to put upgrades on hold because my OL has decided she wants to get a bike. She's never ridden before, and she's not picky at all.

I was thinking of starting her out on a Rebel 250, but would love to be able to start her out with her own Harley. Is there a Harley that one would suggest as a starter bike that she could carry over to longer tours with me, highway rides, etc.?
My wife started out in 2008 on a Sportster 883. Only motorcycle she has ever ridden. Never had a problem.

BUT don't pick out her bike until AFTER she does MSF Basic. Then she'll know a lot more about them.

Last edited by brenn; 06-20-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Plus one on the V Star as a great starter bike.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Vstar 650 or VLX 600
Both good, cheap, low, ride nice, common first bikes

Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Please dont pick a bike for your wife. You need to take her to the dealership and let her sit on bikes after class. Women dont need to start on anything different than men. If you had been posting a question about a buddy many of these responses would have been get a harley. I started with my 883C. I did my course 19 months ago without any experince. I have put just under 20k on my bike.
A 250 for many is really short on power. Nothing is more nerve racking for a new rider than trying to play catch up on the roads. You should also avoid the idea that she needs a starter bike. Let her figure out what fits her. Many people end up with starter bikes because they pick the wrong bike in the first place. If she finds the right bike it maybe around for years.
Good luck and congrats on your wife taking her course. Happy shopping. Hope you find the right bike.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F34R
Well, first off, I've received a lot of great advice on parts, part no., etc., from members thus far. I am now having to put upgrades on hold because my OL has decided she wants to get a bike. She's never ridden before, and she's not picky at all.

I was thinking of starting her out on a Rebel 250, but would love to be able to start her out with her own Harley. Is there a Harley that one would suggest as a starter bike that she could carry over to longer tours with me, highway rides, etc.?

She's only 5'1", and my Fatboy Lo isn't quite right. It's a little heavy, and she barely touches both feet on the ground. She will take and pass an MSF course before riding.

I have a Suzuki 250 looks like the rebel that I will be selling. It was my OL's beginner bike, she felt very comfortable on it and enjoyed riding, gave her great confidence to learn. Only has less than 2600 miles on it.

We thought it was best to start her on something she would have no problem handling and it worked like a charm.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
Women dont need to start on anything different than men.
I totally agree with this statement. I know a guy who should have gotten a starter bike but went right to the big bike first. He's been playing catch up ever since because he never developed the basic skills on a bike he could handle and was comfortable with. If the OP can afford going the starter bike route, it's the prudent path to follow. Just my .02

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife started out on a Vulcan 800. Which was my old bike. She started to learn to ride around June or July. October went to MSF and in January traded the VN 800 in for a Street Bob. So right at 6 months for her to move up. Shes been riding for 2 years now and puts as many miles on hers as i do mine.....

Pics are of the old 800 and her Street Bob.

Attached Thumbnails Begginer bike for the OL?-vn800nomad.jpg   Begginer bike for the OL?-db2.jpg  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
I totally agree with this statement. I know a guy who should have gotten a starter bike but went right to the big bike first. He's been playing catch up ever since because he never developed the basic skills on a bike he could handle and was comfortable with. If the OP can afford going the starter bike route, it's the prudent path to follow. Just my .02
Agreed, I have seen enough men get in over their head when first learning to ride, it just doesn't make sense to start on a 700 lb bike when you have never been on a bike before.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
Please dont pick a bike for your wife. You need to take her to the dealership and let her sit on bikes after class. Women dont need to start on anything different than men. If you had been posting a question about a buddy many of these responses would have been get a harley. I started with my 883C. I did my course 19 months ago without any experince. I have put just under 20k on my bike.
A 250 for many is really short on power. Nothing is more nerve racking for a new rider than trying to play catch up on the roads. You should also avoid the idea that she needs a starter bike. Let her figure out what fits her. Many people end up with starter bikes because they pick the wrong bike in the first place. If she finds the right bike it maybe around for years.
Good luck and congrats on your wife taking her course. Happy shopping. Hope you find the right bike.
Best advice here. My wife is 6'2" and took the MSF course on a Rebel. It was comical to watch. I then took her to a big parking lot where she practiced on my Road King. She had no problems with it and thought a Dyna would be the way to go.(her legs are so long a Sporty wouldn't fit any better than the Rebel.) We went to a dealer, she sat on bikes and decided she liked forward foot controls. Two weeks later she was on her own Wide Glide. I was a bit nervous because it has a little more rake to it and can be kinda mushy in low speed stuff. I needn't have worried, after 10,000 miles she hasn't dropped it once. She kills it at stoplights once in a while and I have a good laugh.

Quick Reply: Begginer bike for the OL?