General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Begginer bike for the OL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM
N58TB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is somewhere around 5' 3", maybe 5' 2".

She just started riding, took the RE course and we got her a 2011 1200 Custom. Reach seat and pull back handlebars...fits her great and she's getting a lot of confidence on the bike.

It's what she was going to end up with, so we figured why go through all the steps?

Cheers,

Greg in Dallas

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelpride112006
Skip all the metric stuff if shes going to end up on a harley. It will just cost you money in the long run. Get her a 883 superlow or a lowered dyna and be done with it.
I respectfully disagree. My daughter bought a low mileage Rebel for <$1,000, rode it for 2 years, added some scratches, & sold it for more than she paid for it. It's difficult to do that with a Sportster.

Originally Posted by indiandave
Another option would be a Suzuki S40. It's very light bike with good balance. It could go highway speeds in a pinch. It kinda looks like baby Sportster if you squint your eyes.
Yes. My daughter is 5' & less than 100lbs. She used the $1300 from the Rebel's sale to pay $1500 for a low mileage 650 Suzuki Savage, now called the Boulevard S40. This low cruiser has not changed since its introduction (aside from adding a 5th gear in the '90s) so older but cheaper makes sense. My son at 5' 10" & 180lbs also has a Savage as his 1st bike, & he regularly rides it to visit a girlfriend on campus 400 miles away. It has a seat height = to the 250 Rebel, but cruises well at 65 mph.

All 3 of the motorcycles I just mentioned were from women who decided to ride, then decided not to ride, & stored bike until they cleaned the house.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 06-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
SJRACER
Advanced

My wife also went through the MSF course and we started her out on a Sportster 1200 Custom. One year later, we were back trading it in on a 2009 Dyna Low Rider. She loves that bike. Bought it new in 2009. The sporty served its purpose but she was blown away with the FXDL. I tried to talk her into the FXDL to begin with, but she just didnt have the confidence. We are getting our 20 year old Son out a little on the FXDL now too. Anyway just my 2 cents.

And for post counters....just cause people have low post counts, dont mean we dont read the forums alot. Been a member since 2007 when I bought my 07 FXDWG brand new.

Ride Safe!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
B-Sweet
Cruiser
Smile

I have a 1992 Fatboy and that is what I started on after the class.The little 250 in class was fun but I am to heavy for it.The Sportys are top heavy for the shorter gals.My Inseam is just 26 inches so hubby made it lower and changed the bars and my seat is very narrow in the front.I dont have any problem at all with this bike. My front end was very heavy in slow turns like in a parking lot or from a stop. He changed my bars and it was like adding power steering.My hubby has been after me to get a new bike, since I got him a 2011 Untra Limited in March, but I cant fine one that I like as much as I do this little Fatboy.It has had some work done on it and it is very very quick.Some kind of Macroni Carbs??? I dont know but I can go as fast as I want to.If you start her out too small you will spend the next 3 years buying 2 or 3 different bikes. Rent a few for a week or two at a time, that is what I do when looking a cars.Ride safe and tell her to get on this site and join the Queens section those gals have a ton of "Girl" knowledge.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a nice V-Rod that has been lowered that she could learn on. Let me know I could let it go for a nice price.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree on the Suzuki Savage. Nice lightweight bike with 650 engine to keep up with traffic. Also, you might consider an older Sportster Hugger. I had both, started with the Suzuki, then moved up to the Hugger, then went to a 1200 custom and am now riding a Dyna Street Bob. I am 5'2" and I built my confidence on the smaller bikes. We sold them for close to what we paid for them. I tried my Hubby's Dyna when I was just learning, almost dumped it and scared me, so I decided to move up slowly. Worked for me.

Last edited by Angelfire36; 06-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
motrhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even bother with a metric bike if she wants a Harley, no matter what any of the other cheap asses say. If you ride a Harley and she wants a Harley, find one that fits her. My wife took the riders edge course on a Buell Blast(500cc's) and she took a day to shop bikes at the Harley dealer, by herself, we got her a 2007 1200C and she loves it. My wife is 5'6" and the bike is stock height, we got a good deal on Craigslist from a private seller. This is my wife's second year of riding her own, the first year she put on 4,000 miles in various conditions.
A friend of ours just took the riders edge this spring and she decided on a night rod V Rod, it is all about what she wants and what she is comfortable with, another friend started on an FLH right out of her class. Although my wife would like a Fatboy Lo, she loves her bike so much that she doesn't want to give it up !
Whatever bike that your wife wants, whatever brand, it is worthwhile to make her comfortable right off the bat.
Good Luck

Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM
F34R
Tourer

Again, thank you for all the support and responses. She's also reading the thread to get an idea of experiences others have had. I think we've settled on letting her take RE course, then shop for a bike she likes. If I come across a deal that's really good, we might jump the gun a little, so we'll see.

Any more advice and responses are gratuitously welcome.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
shegoes
6th Gear

As a women rider with 41 years riding experience who is also a ride coach I would suggest that you take her to different dealers and let her sit on varied bikes to see what really fits her best. I am 5'1" but only have a 25"inseam, my best friend is 5'2" but has a 29"inseam so our choice in bikes is very different. I ride a 1200 sporty that has progressive shocks and a shaved down seat. I also own a 1400 intruder that I love. Many new short female riders really enjoy the Suzuki savage 650 or now called the s40. It is very low and only weighs about 350 pounds. It is a single cyclinder but does quite well on the road. Keep in mind that lady riders often get scared if they dump their ride or if they crash and get hurt during the learning process. It is best to get a bike that fits - if they are comfy and confident on their ride they will ride more and move up as needs. If they are scared they find reasons not to ride- thus so many nice HD's onEbay with really low miles. I prefer to see lady riders-out there riding skillfully-I don't care what brand of bike they are on! Ps I honestly do not believe sportys are "top heavy" just too many riders out there who don't really have good balance. I have no problems with my 1200 at any speed or any exercises.

Last edited by shegoes; 06-20-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think your first choice is a good one for her and itll be easy to resell when shes ready to move up.
I taught my wife on an old kawasaki 440 ltd and before the season was out I got her a 99 sporty and that was 2 years ago and she has no interest in a softtail which I ask her all the time.

Quick Reply: Begginer bike for the OL?