General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

June Motorcyclist article about new Harleys built in India for the US market

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydavis
+1......the Indian & Asian markets are the largest untapped markets for Harley. I don't expect the shores of the U.S. will see the bikes anytime soon.
I agree. Our bikes are just to big for many places overseas. Outside North America, a 750 is still a big bike. They will be able to sell plenty of them without ever bringing one stateside.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

it's where the Buell Blast replacement is being built that is coming here.

You know what I don't understand is how some Harley guys scream heritage, heritage, heritage, but refuse to acknowledge that a few Harleys (that sold quite well here) were built outside of america. If yer gonna scream, breathe, and bleed heritage, you have to take in everything a company has done. You just can't pick and choose what you want out of a companies history.
I'd like to see what they're coming up with, and like 32vld said, there is a market here.
But I'm sure some of you keyboard hardcores will spit on anyone that rides by with one, right?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ironic I post about Harley building motorcycles in India for the american market and the subject changes into a Victory bashing thread.
I think it's a little bit of fear that Victory will take some of the image away from HD, or assume some of that image on their own merits.

I also think some of the HD "heritage" and stuff is just good marketing. I see old harleys that are single cylinders and stuff in museaums, and I just recently saw a HD from desert storm that was nothing like a cruiser or a vtwin.... but anyhow....

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

I had stated a while back in a thread, I could see them buying up an old defunct name like Excelsior Henderson, and using that as a co-brand to sell offshore smaller starter bikes; but not under the Harley brand due to dilution.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Woweh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brenn
ALL as far as I'm concerned. They look like Honda's interpretation of an Arlen Ness idea. If I quit riding Harley, I'd buy a Triumph or an Indian (same owner as Victory, but not ugly).

Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Dilemma
Road Master

This opens HD up to a whole new market if they get a new smaller cc bike
NO NO NO *** NO!

This is exactly the mistake Mercedes Benz made when they introduced their "Affordable Mercedes." An affordable Benz was never EVER their market. They had no business competing in it, and it ruined a rep MB had fostered for years and years. QUALITY.

Stick to your customer base. Smaller HD's are NOT your market. And before you toss "Sportster" at me, thats not what you of I are talking about here.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Mercedes ruined their rep for quality?

I hadn't heard that one.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Dilemma
Road Master

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Mercedes ruined their rep for quality?

I hadn't heard that one.
You are kiddin right?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Hey, Harley is run by a group of greedy bastards, the same sort that have trashed countless other industries before selling off the bones and collecting huge bonuses. Don't be surprised.

In the meantime, the pre-03 88" bikes are around and they are still the best bikes Harley has ever made...
It's been run by greedy bastards since 1903.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
If Harley was made in Afghanistan by al Qaeda it wouldn't make Victory look any better. Beauty may be only skin deep, but those bikes are just ugly to the bone. IMHO
HAHA that was pretty funny. HD all the way..

Quick Reply: June Motorcyclist article about new Harleys built in India for the US market